SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fuel Relay or Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 03:26 PM
Azambrano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Relay or Ignition Switch?

I've got a '96 sc300. Sometimes I get in to crank the car & it won't start. I put the key in & turn the switch; lights come on, radio comes on but it won't turn over at all. The first couple times it does nothing, but around the 2nd or 3rd time it will click but still no fire. It doesn't even attempt to turn over. I keep trying & it eventually fires up. It only does this sporadically. I can go days without any problems, then some days every time I try to start it up it'll do it. Sometimes it might crank on the 2nd try, sometimes it may take several tries (or 45 minutes) to get it to start. Sometimes it will try to turn over but die before the engine starts. I was thinking it may be the ignition switch or maybe even the starter but I called a mechanic friend yesterday (while stranded) and described the issue with him. He suggested it may be the fuel pump relay & said it's possible to bypass the relay. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 04-14-16, 04:02 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Azambrano
I've got a '96 sc300. Sometimes I get in to crank the car & it won't start. I put the key in & turn the switch; lights come on, radio comes on but it won't turn over at all. The first couple times it does nothing, but around the 2nd or 3rd time it will click but still no fire. It doesn't even attempt to turn over. I keep trying & it eventually fires up. It only does this sporadically. I can go days without any problems, then some days every time I try to start it up it'll do it. Sometimes it might crank on the 2nd try, sometimes it may take several tries (or 45 minutes) to get it to start. Sometimes it will try to turn over but die before the engine starts. I was thinking it may be the ignition switch or maybe even the starter but I called a mechanic friend yesterday (while stranded) and described the issue with him. He suggested it may be the fuel pump relay & said it's possible to bypass the relay. Any suggestions would be great!

Dude,

What error codes are you seeing, if any?

Old 04-14-16, 07:20 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Also check your PRND switch or position of the shifter ... needs to be pushed all the way to Park. Next time it fails to crank (no click or anything) jiggle the shift lever or try starting in "N" (will need to realease it).

If you hear click(s) then it is your starter solenoid.

Salim
Old 04-18-16, 05:27 PM
TARMAC
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem on my old SC400. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay for me.