SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95 SC400 fog light keeps filling with water

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 08:38 AM
BradHoff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 SC400 fog light keeps filling with water

I searched and could not find the answer or someone with a similar problem, but my driver side fog light/lense keeps filling with water. I figured the lens was cracked and it was visually so i bought a new lense assembly (new lense bulb wiring everything) and the new unit is also filling with water .

Any ideas? is there a common problem with water getting into the lense? The back socket thing twists in tight and everything.
Old 05-20-16, 08:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

That is odd with a new unit. isn't there like a hole somewhere on them with a little rubber boot over it like the headlight... I may be imagining things though.

worst case drill a hole in the bottom of it so itll just drain out. old school style. wont help with fogging though.
Old 05-20-16, 09:04 AM
BradHoff
Driver

Im going to take the unit back out tomorrow and check, but yeah drilling will work but i just spent $100 on a new unit and want to use that as a last resort.
Old 05-20-16, 09:41 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposed to be a little rubber hose in the shape of an S kind of that goes on a few vent holes. Fog light should have at least 1, visually inspect the other one that doesn't fill with water, and then visually inspect the one that fills with water. My guess is that your working one still has the S shaped hose, while your new one does not. It typically goes over a little filter that turns pink when exposed to water. They're supposed to be one way filters to allow water vapor out, but fluid water can pass through if it hits the filter, the S hose is designed so that water gets trapped and runs back out rather than going into the foglight through the filter.

My guess is you're missing the hose on the side that keeps filling with water, and water is being sprayed onto the filter and slowly seeping through.

I'm just guessing based on the 97+ fogs, and the headlights and high beams, as they all have the same mechanism to keep water out. I assume the 95 fogs have them too.
Old 05-20-16, 10:06 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BradHoff
I figured the lens was cracked and it was visually so i bought a new lense assembly (new lense bulb wiring everything) and the new unit is also filling with water
Does the new lens include the overall housing? If not, the housings can get crumbly and allow water in. I pulled a set of '95 fogs and my thumb went through both housings with a very light touch.
Old 05-20-16, 12:21 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Thanks guys ill take them both out and check for the s shaped plugs. The housing is all new and i didnt have to transfer any parts from my old unit so maybe i got unlucky and both were missing the plugs.
Old 06-15-16, 04:22 PM
BradHoff
Driver

So i took out the fog and didnt notice any rubber S shaped plugs or draining devices. I decided to take the easy way out and just drill a small hole into the bottom of the unit. Now its been a week or so and no problems with the light.

However since the water was stuck in the assembly for a while, the inside of the lense is all yellow and crappy looking. Tts pretty impossible to get to the inside of the lense through the back so i had an idea of taking the assembly back out and "swooshing" some rubbing alcohol in there.

Any other ideas to clean the inside of the lense or techniques?
Attached Thumbnails 95 SC400 fog light keeps filling with water-img_6403-6-.jpg  
Old 06-15-16, 04:30 PM
Brennen01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use silicon or caulk over where the bulb locks into the actual housing of the light.
Old 06-15-16, 07:31 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradHoff
So i took out the fog and didnt notice any rubber S shaped plugs or draining devices. I decided to take the easy way out and just drill a small hole into the bottom of the unit. Now its been a week or so and no problems with the light.

However since the water was stuck in the assembly for a while, the inside of the lense is all yellow and crappy looking. Tts pretty impossible to get to the inside of the lense through the back so i had an idea of taking the assembly back out and "swooshing" some rubbing alcohol in there.

Any other ideas to clean the inside of the lense or techniques?
In this case, the S shaped plug would go over that pink filter on your car. Your's is missing, and the filter being pink means water is passing through it. If you go to a junkyard, or can find some broken headlights, fog lights, or high beams, you should be able to find one to pull off and repurpose for your fogs. So long as it's missing water will keep getting in, but the drain hole you drilled will at least give it an easy path out. However if you can find that piece it will help a lot with your problem.
Old 06-15-16, 09:28 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Good to know!
Old 06-16-16, 12:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I thought they had the S shaped hoses, didn't know it was so vital.