SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Total Loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 06:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Total Loss

Damnit. Some jask@ss hit a red light and sideswiped me today while getting off the freeway. Hit me in the driver's door all the way to the rear quarter panel, taking out my rear wheel and looks like pretty much bent the suspension. Figuring my car is a 1993 SC300, dunno what my insurance company will do. Damn. It was a great 10 year run though....
Old 05-01-03, 06:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

insurance will take the book value and deduct mileage and other misc charges and give you the remainder in a check. so substancially less than this amount below after deductions:

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.0 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 150,000

Equipment
Auto Climate Control
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Dual Front Air Bags
Anti-Lock Braking
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history is assumed. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $5,700
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.
Old 05-01-03, 06:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

or if it's an auto.... ironically the same amount!!??

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.0 Liter
Trans: 4-Spd Auto Overdrive
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 150,000

Private Party Value $5,700
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-01-03 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 08:17 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how private insurance or the insurance in the states works... but I know when I totalled my mr2 (my fault ) they said they never give 'book value' they might use it, but they rather go by market value. Your insurance should pay you what the going rate for a car comprable to your car is, ie. if someone like you sold your exact car, the moment right before the accident. I am sure you can argue either way, just whichever is higher right? And remember your insurance company is sueing the persons that hit yours, so just make sure you get what you deserve, get all personal damage as well as property, not saying that your back should hurt right about now. If in doubt, highering a lawyer or getting legal aid is always something to do. Sorry about your loss, I know whenever I have something like that happen, I am always fairly compensated and everything levels out. I do hope that you are going to get another SC, SC seem to be very safe cars.

Most likely they will do what onelasttry said.

BC we have a corp called ICBC owned by the province (like a state, not to be trivial), and they take care of everything, so if someone else hits you, and they are from BC, you know who their insurer is!