SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 04:03 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts
Default stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX

While wandering the junkyard for inspiration, I found on various Hyundai and Kia vehicles a cheap alternative to the pricey S2000 and MDX ($60-100) stubby antennas. I first saw a Kia with what looked like a nearly identical exterior mount to ours, but I couldn't open the trunk to see how it was set up inside.

A few cars later, I saw a '00 Hyundai Elantra GLS with the same setup. As I had hoped, it's a super simple mount that held great potential for fitting the SC. I then saw a '05 Tiburon GT V6 with a shorter version of the same mount, so I also grabbed that one to have a couple options. Net price out the door: basically free with a few other things.

The Elantra antenna proved to be the best fit, with the adjustable lower bracket lining up perfectly with the SC's lower bolt hole. The exterior part of the mount is a bit smaller than the SC's, but it's big enough to cover the hole if you hold it in place while tightening it down. I believe I used the Kia's hex head collar to lock it in place, rather than the Hyundai's goofy double flathead setup that requires a special tool.

I need to get a stubby antenna to go with it now. Apparently, it's an oddball M7x1.00 thread. (I confirmed that it's bigger than M6 and smaller than M8, but haven't gone by the hardware store yet.) There aren't a whole lot of options in that size, unfortunately, but a few in the $10-30 range. I'm thinking I'll give this one a try:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB42QRM/

The other thing I'd like to do is find a funnel-like adapter for the bottom of the aluminum tube to attach to the SC's drain hose, which is about half its diameter. It may not really matter, though, as I think the inside of the aluminum tube is sealed at the top.

Reception as currently situated, with no stubby antenna screwed in, isn't great. Reception here sucks, anyway, with even the fully extended mast struggling to pull in most stations cleanly. All the transmissions are 50-100 miles away. It obviously isn't an amplified antenna, but I'm hopeful that a decent stubby and the diversity window setup will make it acceptable. Mostly, I want something that doesn't have to go up and down all the time if I'm listening to the radio while making lots of quick stops.

Also, for the Loud 'n Proud Weight Weenies, it sheds 2 lb 2 oz vs older antennas and 2 lb 1 oz vs newer ones, less whatever the stubby adds back (3 oz from what I've seen). The shorter Tiburon base is within a few tenths of an ounce of the Elantra.

In the first picture below, L:R antennas are Elantra, Tiburon, and hacked up SC (an earlier, abandoned project). In the 3rd picture, you can see it gives a slightly more streamlined look than the SC mount, and perfectly aligned, as opposed to the bulky Honda/Acura mounts which don't quite flow.
Attached Thumbnails stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX-p1020687-antenna-mod-elantra-tiburon-sc.jpg   stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX-p1020689-antenna-mod-elantra-interior.jpg   stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX-p1020689-antenna-mod-elantra-exterior.jpg  

Last edited by t2d2; 08-29-16 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Illyria (02-07-24)
Old 08-30-16, 09:17 PM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I am not about to read all of that lol. I'm sure that's why nobody else has replied. My antenna solution? I plan on unplugging the antenna motor in the near future so it just stays down. Looks fine imo, and I've read that you still get sufficient reception. If I was dead set on getting rid of the stock antenna entirely I would just shave it and have an antenna inside the car somewhere. Or better yet just have my phone hooked up to the aux port and 86 the antenna entirely. Who needs radio stations when I'm listening to 106.1 The Boost!

Last edited by oSUPRAo; 08-30-16 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 09:23 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oSUPRAo
Honestly, I am not about to read all of that lol. I'm sure that's why nobody else has replied.
I feel sorry for you and your attention span. So pleased that you saw fit to comment without reading it...

My antenna solution? I plan on unplugging the antenna motor in the near future so it just stays down. Looks fine imo, and I've read that you still get sufficient reception.
Maybe you should try it before suggesting it? I have, and it doesn't do much good if you're in an area that has weak reception.

If I was dead set on getting rid of the stock antenna entirely I would just shave it and have an antenna inside the car somewhere. Or better yet just have my phone hooked up to the aux port and 86 the radio entirely.
That's wonderful, but not really pertinent to the thread.
The following users liked this post:
Illyria (02-07-24)
Old 08-30-16, 10:03 PM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

I just read the whole thing, and as I suspected, I didn't have to. My suggestion of using an auxiliary port instead of the radio is absolutely pertinent to the thread. While your endeavor seems interesting, it sounds like a pipe dream. You said that you have crappy reception with a full antenna, so why the heck would you go through all this effort to have a prettier antenna that has even worse reception? I would "...have an antenna inside the car somewhere. Or better yet just have your phone hooked up to the aux port and 86 the antenna entirely..." You've been given lemons, make lemonade. Good luck with it.
Old 08-30-16, 10:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I just read the whole thing, and as I suspected, I didn't have to.
Now go back and read the thread Subject, and you might just understand the point.
Old 08-30-16, 10:21 PM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Now go back and read the thread Subject, and you might just understand the point.
What's there to understand? You're showing a stubby antenna alternative, but you are also talking about your own wants and needs. "Mostly, I want something that doesn't have to go up and down all the time if I'm listening to the radio while making lots of quick stops." I simply stated that it's my opinion that you're fighting an uphill battle, and a pointless one at that. No need to get all offended and hostile. As I said, good luck with the project regardless. I think the radio generally sucks anyways. I have perfect reception, yet I still play the same Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd CDs every day because nothing on the radio will be better.
Old 08-30-16, 10:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

What's there to understand? You're showing a stubby antenna alternative.
It's an alternative to the two common options. If you don't get that, then we have no common ground to discuss anything further.
Old 08-31-16, 02:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

Personally I love FM and AM and the very nature of radio (and not everything on radio, mind you. It depends on where you are and how willing you are to station surf on long drives). And I love the telescoping factory antenna I also use my aux-in jack to my phone much of the time (which for me, among other things, streams live broadcasts from out of area radio stations from all over the country and world). Point being, there is a use for everything

On topic:

If the thread were squarely about reception quality I'd say the stock telescoping antenna, for all its antique old world qualities, probably does best with an in-line signal booster. You can't beat the height of it.

However t2d2 I know that what you're going for here is an alternative setup. I think especially with any stubby (or shaved) antenna you'd want to use a signal amplifier. I believe the Honda S2000 has a factory signal amplifier. The MDX might also have one. I installed the S2000 antenna setup on a 90's Camry once and did not also install a signal amplifier but that vehicle is also only used in an area with good FM and AM reception. More importantly, there is at least some protrusion from the body of the vehicle and that seemed to make the most difference. For that car with a near identical telescoping antenna setup to the SC300/400 (and which also is not a "diversity" setup; neither is ours-- I was incorrect about this. The Z30 Soarer and 92-00 SC series *do* have diversity antenna setups. I had incorrectly thought that the SC430's were the first to get this.), it works very well. The biggest indicator of good reception from stock to stubby seemed to be the very protrusion of something from the car being present at all.

I haven't tried any aftermarket kit that is supposed to convert an older car to an antenna-less system to compare but I digress.

The internal mast of your setup is what is interesting to me. It does closely resemble the 90's Celica coupe fixed antenna internal mast that we use with the S2000 stubby antenna. Looks like a good alternative to that. I don't recall how much the Celica internal mast cost but... if everything measures about the same and it all fits...

I do think installing an in-line signal amplifier might be the best thing since you don't have any local radio transmitters in your area. With your new manual mast raised of course.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-31-16 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 07:28 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great alternative to a factory look. Awesome for taking the time to research, trial, and error. Too bad I just barely mounted my MDX antenna.
Old 08-31-16, 08:50 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Personally I love FM and AM and the very nature of radio (and not everything on radio, mind you.
I mostly just listen to the radio for a change of pace, usually when I'm tired of whatever tape/cd/mp3 playlist I've got on hand. It doesn't take long before I tire of the I Heart Radio Owns Everything 4-song rotation.

If the thread were squarely about reception quality I'd say the stock telescoping antenna, for all its antique old world qualities, probably does best with an in-line signal booster. You can't beat the height of it.
Other than a super long whip antenna, I would agree. However, signal boosters are a somewhat controversial topic. A lot of the reception gurus claim that that also amplifies the distortion, meaning a bad signal will be made worse.

I believe the Honda S2000 has a factory signal amplifier. The MDX might also have one.
From the looks of the unit, I believe you're right. It's got a small box on the base and an electrical connector. Oddly, in reading the Hyundai forums (I feel icky just saying that; I soooo wish the Kia trunk could have been opened!), the S2000 mast with a thread adapter is a popular option, as many people feel it offers better reception. I can't imagine there's much difference between functionality of any of the short masts, ignoring the CF nonsense littered all over ebay, so that either shows the difficulty in achieving good A/B audio comparisons (of which I don't need to lecture you!), or raises questions about which aspect of the S2000 antenna is doing the work.

90's Camry... For that car with a near identical telescoping antenna setup to the SC300/400 (and which also is not a "diversity" setup; neither is ours)
Wait, what? We've got the rear window printed antenna and the powered mast, both of which feed into the back of the radio. Everything I've seen refers to that as the diversity setup.

The biggest indicator of good reception from stock to stubby seemed to be the very protrusion of something from the car being present at all.
Seems reasonable. I was tempted to go to the hardware store and find the longest M7 bolt possible, as a ghetto test of that theory, but decided to just order one and go from there. I chose the 7" whip style AntennaX, as 14" is visually too long for the car. The 7" claims no change in reception for good stations, but slightly worse for bad ones. I can live with that, if true, as long as I have a few presets to jump between. I mean, they all play the same songs, anyway.

The internal mast of your setup is what is interesting to me. It does closely resemble the 90's Celica coupe fixed antenna internal mast that we use with the S2000 stubby antenna. Looks like a good alternative to that. I don't recall how much the Celica internal mast cost but... if everything measures about the same and it all fits...
I had seen a mention of the Celica antenna in one of the threads, but for some reason thought/assumed it was referring to newer ones. I looked at '00-05 ones and they didn't appear compatible, but I'll have to go back and check for the '90s setup.

I do think installing an in-line signal amplifier might be the best thing since you don't have any local radio transmitters in your area. With your new manual mast raised of course.
I'll know much more as soon as I have the new mast to try out...

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
Great alternative to a factory look. Awesome for taking the time to research, trial, and error. Too bad I just barely mounted my MDX antenna.
Thanks. I'm sure you can find someone who wants your MDX antenna, if you decide to change. This option is so cheap, it can't hurt to pick one up to experiment with if so inclined.
Old 08-31-16, 12:15 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there a way to delete the antenna hole and the surrounding mold or is it there until the end of time?
Also nice alternative i always disliked the s2k antenna.
Old 08-31-16, 12:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
is there a way to delete the antenna hole and the surrounding mold or is it there until the end of time?
The only way to completely delete it would be welding and painting. This smaller mount would probably be the next best thing, and it doesn't require an antenna mast to plug the hole if all you're going for is a less intrusive look.
Old 08-31-16, 02:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Wait, what? We've got the rear window printed antenna and the powered mast, both of which feed into the back of the radio. Everything I've seen refers to that as the diversity setup.
I just got back to your thread and double-checked this. It appears I was wrong. The 1992-2000 SC series and Z30 Soarers do in fact have a diversity antenna setup from the factory. I had thought that only the 2001-2010 SC430's had this. I did not understand the printing on the rear windscreen to be an FM antenna. My bad. I've corrected my earlier post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tenna-fix.html
Old 08-31-16, 03:56 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ When you start following the defroster lines, you'll quickly get confused if you aren't aware there's an antenna mixed in. Unfortunately, that's probably also the reason why there's no aftermarket source of rear glass.
Old 08-31-16, 04:26 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

unplugged it years ago but a stubby would be nice, good work.

Quick Reply: stubby antenna alternative to S2000/MDX