SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can someone confirm these gauge cluster removal instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 11:57 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can someone confirm these gauge cluster removal instructions?

Are these directions any good to remove gauge cluster??

1. Put the key in, shift the steering wheel out and down as far as it will go to give maximum clearance. Make sure the auto button is not pressed in. Now take out the key without the wheel moving. This is important, because if you need to put the key back to start the car, you will get an airbag warning light if done while the instrument panel is removed. This can be a pain in the *** to clear later.
2. Pull out the piece with the clock buttons and dimmer switch. You will need to pull hard! Disconnect the plugs.
3. Now there are 4 screws that hold in the instrument panel. 2 that are covered by plugs at the top and 2 that were behind the piece removed in step 2. Notice the 2 plugs at top, they have a very small notch in the bottom of them to place a very small screwdriver in to pop them out (if you scratch them up they can be purchased from Lexus, part # LX 83179-24010 for $1.87 US). Be careful not to lose the two screws at the bottom when you screw them out (I used needle nose pliers to guide them out at the end).
4. Now as you slide out the instrument cluster, you will find 3 plugs attached. These are very difficult to remove. I suggest using a wide flat head screwdriver to push down on the "lever" part of the plug.
5. Once removed, turn the unit screen side down and unscrew the white part (should be only about 4 screws).
6. Now you will need to remove the "second layer" of white plastic to reach the bulbs. This has many (about 14) screws and three ribbon cables. Pull up on the back piece around the ribbon cables to detach.
7. Now you can see the green plugs that illuminate the gauges, you may also access all the other lights from here. There are 8 bulbs that llight up the instrument gauges. You will want to replace all of them! This is because by removing the unit you jostle the other bulbs, and if they are old too, they will burn out. I had this happen and the Lexus dealer told me the same thing.
8. The bulbs are part # LX 83119-24570 for $5.45 US each and the green sockets # LX 83101-24010 are $1.98 US each. This is a bit expensive, but I felt it was worth saving myself the labor at a later date. If anyone can find a Toyota equivalent part and save some money it would be worth looking into, Toshiba makes the bulbs.
9. Replace unit using the same procedure as above. Be certain to not start the car without the instrument panel connected as you will get the airbag light mentioned above.
Old 05-23-03, 01:01 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, these are great directions! Oh yeah, I wrote these a few years ago over at the old ladman site! Seriously dude, this is a keeper and will walk you through step by step. The only thing missing are the pics which I think you can find at an aussie site. Don't ignore the part about the airbag warning light!
Old 05-23-03, 01:53 AM
Enzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.lexuspros.com/tutorial7.htm Pics :-)
Old 05-23-03, 10:19 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys...
Old 05-23-03, 12:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

6. Now you will need to remove the "second layer" of white plastic to reach the bulbs. This has many (about 14) screws and three ribbon cables. Pull up on the back piece around the ribbon cables to detach.
Close, but no cigar. There are actually three ribbon plugs and two long flat plugs on the bottom. close enough though.
Old 05-23-03, 12:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One Hot SC400: If you need any help with this I can help I you out, it should literally take you no more than 5 minutes.
Old 05-23-03, 01:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Dennis, this job is gravy but do be careful. There is a chance flexing the board will break tracers and solder joints on the surface mount parts. it isnt common that happens, BUT it does happen. i've seen it quite a few times. SO, just be careful and try not to flex the board excessively. it isn't the thickest thing in the world and it will bend easily
Old 05-23-03, 03:35 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

So I pulled the whole cluster out and check out all the bulbs and put it back in...The job was relatively pretty straight forward and effortess...The hardest part was pulling the plugs out of the cluster...I think one of the bulbs is blown, where do I get bulbs ? How much are they?

And once I put everything back the airbag light came on..How do I get rid of this?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-23-03, 05:41 PM
Enzo
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=airbag+light Clear code :-)
Old 02-15-04, 08:51 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

any tips on how to remove the dimmer panel, that thing is hard to pull off!
Old 02-15-04, 10:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

put your fingers across the top and thumbs under the arch above the steering columb and pull strait out
Old 02-16-04, 12:52 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dumb question ahead......

Is the car driveable with the cluster removed?

My friend Irene has a SC300 with burned out needles, so I'd like to send it out to get fixed.
But she needs her car every day.
Old 02-16-04, 12:58 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

yep.
Old 06-25-04, 04:07 PM
dean s
Driver

Default cluster "airbag light"

will the airbag still deploy with the light removed?
Old 07-26-09, 08:55 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by One HoT
Are these directions any good to remove gauge cluster??

1. Put the key in, shift the steering wheel out and down as far as it will go to give maximum clearance. Make sure the auto button is not pressed in. Now take out the key without the wheel moving. This is important, because if you need to put the key back to start the car, you will get an airbag warning light if done while the instrument panel is removed. This can be a pain in the *** to clear later.
In another thread I read not to take the key out, and this one here is saying take the key out after you do all of these adjustments. Can anyone confirm which method is correct?

Quick Reply: Can someone confirm these gauge cluster removal instructions?