SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help! I need advice on numerous PROBLEMS with the 400!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 06:35 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the distributor covers off to get at the distributor caps. Unbolt them and see if they need a clean. Pull all the plug wires off and see if they are wet. Pull the plugs out and see if there is water down there.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-03, 05:54 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It will take 3 weeks for your engine to dry out. I had a similar problem....freaked me out, as it took so long to go away. So now I always just wipe the engine with degreaser and wipe off w/ a damp cloth as opposed to hosing it down. The car will SLOWLY go back to normal. Just give it time, as water just got somewhere it wsn't supposed to.
Old 05-27-03, 09:14 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! I need advice on numerous PROBLEMS with the 400!

Q:Just cleaned up the engine yesterday and then i let it dry for a couple of hours and then i tried to take it out for a spin but she runs like ***

A: Water leak into your sparkplugs hole. Take the cover off and dry off the water and no you don't have to chage the plugs unless it is old (more than 50K miles)

Q: Also another problem i have is that under the car where my transmission pan is the litle bolts leak. Does anyone know the precise bolt size and seal so i could drain the fliud and put new bolts in

A: The bolts is 14 mmm, did you have someone else chane the trans. fluid lately? they might of stripped the bolt. if it is get another from Carson Toyota.

Q: And my wheel lock key is broken and three of my four tires are stuck on Anyone know how to get them off without the wheel lock key.?

A: If you still have the the key with the code/number on it, you can contact the wheel lock manufacture and they will replace it free but you have to send in the original key. I don't remember the name of the company but it is the only brand name that almost all dealer use. (Had the same problem with my 88 Corvette, sent the key in and got the replacement free minus my shipping)

Q: I need new tires for the stock replacements. Any recomendations? Not to price but very good and the have to be ZR rated !

A: Are you looking for good looking tire or a four season tire? check out www.tirerack.com I like BF Goodrich KDWS for the price, noise level, and thread life.

Where do you live in Philly? I used to live in Bristol township near Oxford Valley Mall. Just move to Vegas a month ago
Old 05-27-03, 11:01 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She runs better already but she still has a little bit of water in her somewhere! Woo! I was really scared for a second, need to get a manual from somewhere. As for then transmission pan problem yesn someone did just change my fluid recently I guess he stripped the bolts because ive tried to tighten them but they wont tighten. Do i need to order the complete pan or just the bolts? And i use to live in North philly near 23rd and broad st; I been the military for the last almost 3 and 1/2 and i have been living here in Italy for just about 3 years! My 92 SC400 got over here last month i purchased her in july of 2002. The only SC here because they didnt sell the SC 300/400 or soarers in Italy. Its hard to get repairs so i try to do all the work my self! Oh yeah i ordered a wheel lock key for $20 and 4 oem lug nuts for $7.25 a piece. Thanks everyone, What are the oem plugs Bosch? who much do they cost?
Old 05-27-03, 11:51 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to an autoparts store and tell the counter guy to get you a half size bigger oil bolt (14 mm with a slightly bigger thread) or take the bolt out and take it to the store to be sure. It is a little size thread and it will be a little harder the first time you install it. THe next time will be alright. You need to use Toyota trans. fluid to replace the oil that you drain out. Don't let them change the oil again, do it yourself. I had the same problem with my white SC when I change the trans. oil the first time and discovered the last guy who change the oil F&*k it up. I ordered the original bolt from Carson Toyota and it been working fine so far but I have to be very careful when I tighten it every time I change the oil (Spec. read 30K miles but I change it at every 15K miles

OEM plugs are Nippon Denso or NGK. $6-$8 each