SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hagerty.com article on the SC300/400 series (from Dec 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 12:23 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts
Default Hagerty.com article on the SC300/400 series (from Dec 2016)

Just in case no one else saw this a couple of months ago. I missed it at the time.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...12/28/lexus-sc
The following users liked this post:
ThomasGS4 (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 07:17 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Luxury fitments included ... an optional factory radar detector.
Wait, what? I don't recall seeing that mentioned before. Seems like a huge liability issue for a car manufacturer to provide that.

For the record, only one SC400 was built with a five-speed, for Jim Press, the President of Toyota North America at the time.
Wait, what? So much for the common statement that the SC400 was never built with a factory 5-spd.

I've got a theory that cars don't become collectible unless they're unreliable. Being a car enthusiast is an irrational passion. We want something to bond with more so than something to get us places.
Old 03-19-17, 07:32 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Wait, what? I don't recall seeing that mentioned before. Seems like a huge liability issue for a car manufacturer to provide that.
It's actually a dealer installed option, not factory. The K40 radar detector is still offered today if you purchase a new Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
t2d2 (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 07:41 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats funny is that all the supra owners dont want to drive there supras anymore so they are turning to a sc to get there daily fix, if they can even find any cleans ones to buy. most likely you will see the value go up but not to much.

Last edited by mikef; 03-19-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 04:52 AM
407will
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Value will go up in clean sc specially if clean & boosted but with many sc build its true it could take a bit longer but once all the trash sc are in the grave yard the clean ones definitely will reach top dollar
Old 03-20-17, 08:38 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Very cool article Kahn....thanks for sharing
Old 03-20-17, 08:49 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Wait, what? So much for the common statement that the SC400 was never built with a factory 5-spd.

I've got a theory that cars don't become collectible unless they're unreliable. Being a car enthusiast is an irrational passion. We want something to bond with more so than something to get us places.
That was a very interesting fact as well. That should have made headlines in that top 10 facts that was posted on the main page
Old 03-20-17, 12:15 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Also loved these comments:

I've read that Bill Gates' favorite car was a 94 SC400. Out of all the cars he could have, the SC is his pick.
I have to disagree with idea that mostly upper- middle class "Japanese car loyalist" bought these cars. Lexus got a lot of attention back then from former and current Mercedes, Bmw, Jaguar and Audi buyers and owners. The tremendous success of LS 400 (looks,refinement, price, and build quality) forced interest in the 2 door coupe. Then once they got a look at it, that was it. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE on the road that looked like this thing back then. I believe the term is "drop dead gorgous" inside and out. Then complimented with the silky V-8 upfront and hot rod exhaust note in back. By 2000 Lexus I think added a slight modification to the air dam , rocker panels, and close to 300 h.p. Toyota/ Lexus has never looked back. Today hind sight is not always 20-20. So influences are lost, but there's is no doubt like the (Honda/ Acura) Nsx, this car also helped to change it's segment in the industry. Truly a great car!
the article concluded that the SC isn't worth more due to its "lack of heritage," like a quarter century aint enough. Although I could not purchase this car brand new, I am glad to be part of the SC heritage or making thereof
Old 03-20-17, 02:34 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 123 Posts

my son has a 93 sc300 and it has the dealer installed radar detector when it was new.X and K band only.
if its on its always going off.LOL
Old 03-20-17, 02:47 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
Whats funny is that all the supra owners dont want to drive there supras anymore so they are turning to a sc to get there daily fix, if they can even find any cleans ones to buy. most likely you will see the value go up but not to much.
I drive my Supra when I can but I have a company car and a GS400 plus my commute to work sucks and the clutch in Supra won't make it any better. I have friends that drive their Supras around also especially now that Spring is here officially.
Old 03-20-17, 10:06 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
That was a very interesting fact as well. That should have made headlines in that top 10 facts that was posted on the main page
Yeah, no kidding. That would have topped any top-10 list.
Old 03-22-17, 03:11 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My SC has the radar detector. It's a very clean install, but I never really understood it much. It makes too much noise to leave on to be honest. I always thought the audio issues this car had were due to that device being installed, as the car has had documented audio issues since 7K miles. The Nakamichi radio would randomly turn off. The previous owner replaced the stock radio with a Kenwood and had same problems. I replaced his Kenwood with a Pioneer and have the same problem. Weird. Cool article though.
Old 03-22-17, 03:44 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if that 1 off sc400 still exists. would make for one hell of a collector item
Old 03-23-17, 08:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by 407will
Value will go up in clean sc specially if clean & boosted but with many sc build its true it could take a bit longer but once all the trash sc are in the grave yard the clean ones definitely will reach top dollar
I could see this happening. many sc's are still drift missiles and many more are being driven to the ground. it's just gonna take a while before it gets to collector/classic car status if it gets to that.

IMO, the Lexus SC300/400 would be a very unique collector/classic car, if it ever becomes one, because it had a Japanese equivalent, the Toyota Soarer.

This brings up the questions:
Would the SC300 become a classic?
Would the SC400 become a classic?
Would a Toyota Soarer become a classic?

The Soarers also had options that the US SC never got i.e.airbags, 1JZ, R154, active suspension, TV, GPS, etc...

I do know that the US market is being rejuvenated with immaculate JDM soarers being imported (25 year law). I don't know how this helps the SC's classic/collector car status, but I know some lucky individuals will have the pleasure of having a JDM Soarer full of JDM goodness as a garage queen and daily their SC
Old 03-24-17, 01:04 AM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maynanator
I wonder if that 1 off sc400 still exists. would make for one hell of a collector item
I wonder if it ever existed. If it did, I imagine it wouldn't be news to people on this forum. The article's author doesn't cite anything backing up his claim. According to these sites, when Press was hired at Chrysler, he stated that he never bought a Toyota or Lexus. (Jalopnik claims that he never owned a Toyota or Lexus, but that's not what Press said.) I suppose it's possible that it was a gift from Toyota, but if they were going to gear up to manufacture an SC400 with a stick, why only one?

Also, the author claims that changing the timing chain on an Infiniti Q45 costs up to $5,000. That's a bit of a stretch. It's not an engine out procedure. So I wonder about his accuracy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/27/jim-press-never-owned-a-toyota-wants-to-form-gang-with-chrysler/

http://jalopnik.com/304378/former-to...oyota-or-lexus

Quick Reply: Hagerty.com article on the SC300/400 series (from Dec 2016)