SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PITA oil changes on sc300

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03 | 01:31 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default PITA oil changes on sc300

To all sc300 owners:
Okay, I just got back from my every 4,000 mile synthetic oil change. I am so sick of my oil changes taking an hour and a half, with 2/3 of the time spent trying to loosen the oil filter. I only put it about a 1/4 turn past hand tight when I put it on. The thing is just so hard to get to and get a tool onto. What I want to know is what everyone else has done to make removing the filter easier.
Do you access it from the top or bottom?
What kind of tool do you use to loosen it?
Are there any other tips/tricks you have found to make this easier?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 06-01-03 | 01:46 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

well i have a first gen gs. same engine and everything. when i take off the oil filter i use only 1 hand and a rag to get a good grip and turn. and this is all done from the top standing by the driver side wheel

Last edited by Jmai22; 06-01-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-01-03 | 02:01 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

I agree, it's a real PITA to change the filter!!!

My solution was to buy a remote oil filter mount and oil cooler. I plan to install them the next oil change, provided I can figure out a place to mount the remote oil filter
Old 06-01-03 | 03:37 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

The oil filter on my GS400 is near the end of the engine block. I bought the Rhino Ramps at Walmart and now have easy access to the underside of my GS.
Old 06-01-03 | 04:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Do you lube the oil gasket with oil before you screw it on? The one time I forgot to do that, I found it impossible to unscrew the oil filter after 4,000 miles. I used latex gloves with a rubber rag and applied so much torque I formed and popped two blisters on my hand. I also bought and used two oil filter tools that did not do the trick either. Finally I drilled into the oil filter, stuck a iron rod through it, and twisted it off with both arms. Now that was a PITA! I learned from then on not to tighten the oil filter tooo much.
Old 06-01-03 | 10:00 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Try an ice pick. Yeah, that's right... an ice pick. I was lazy the last time I needed an oil change, so I took it to the dealer. They got the oil filter on there so damn tight, that 3,000 miles later when I was changing it myself- I finally had to take an ice pick and push on it until it punctured through the side of the filter. This gave me some leverage to easily unscrew the filter from that point.

Besides the fact that some idiot mechanics screw the filter on MUCH too tight, I have another theory: I think those Toyota/Lexus filters are prone to getting stuck. I'm not sure if the rubber gets hot and melts itself to the car, or what- but I haven't had these problems when using other filters, such as Bosch.
Old 06-01-03 | 10:12 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
Do you lube the oil gasket with oil before you screw it on? The one time I forgot to do that, I found it impossible to unscrew the oil filter after 4,000 miles. I used latex gloves with a rubber rag and applied so much torque I formed and popped two blisters on my hand. I also bought and used two oil filter tools that did not do the trick either. Finally I drilled into the oil filter, stuck a iron rod through it, and twisted it off with both arms. Now that was a PITA! I learned from then on not to tighten the oil filter tooo much.
Dohhh! I always put oil around the seal, but you saying that Rich just reminded me that I forgot to do that today! Go figure I guess my next oil change will be even more interesting.

The little trick I found to day was this: Normally I get the filter from under the car using a wrench that has a ring on the end and depending which was it turns, it loosens the rings or makes is smaller. So you put this up there and turning the right way, the ring tightens and grabs the filter, which then makes it turn. Well, it doesn't always work b/c of the limited amount of room. Today I used the same tool but it had a straight, non-movable handle (the other one has a handle that flips 90degrees) and got it to move from the top. So from now on I will have to use that to loosen it from the top and then use the other tool to get it off from the bottom.
I just thought that if anyone is really having problems, a wine cork screw might work to tap the filter and get more leverage. I have an extra one laying around I might have to put to use one of these days.

Tim
Old 06-02-03 | 10:58 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default The best reason to DIY.....

While we're on the subject of putting fresh oil on the filter gasket, it's also a good idea to pour some into the filter itself. No, not so much that when you go to screw it on the engine it all spills out, but enough so that it is absorbed into the filter material. I fill mine to the brim, and after a few minutes it is all absorbed, then I add some more.

That way, upon your first start up, you get full oil pressure all that much faster, and your engine will get a minimal amount of start-up wear, since it is not running dry for those few seconds it takes to fill up the new filter with oil.