SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking to purchase SC400, need expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 03:40 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

ive never seen any sc run 15" rims except maybe the bbs once? I had a 95 sc300 before my 99sc400 and from what i can tell the brakes are the same.
Old 05-29-17, 03:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My 1992 came stock with 15" wheels. Pretty sure the SC300 got smaller brakes, at least the earlier years vs the 400 V8 cars. I know Supras were the same way, NA models had smaller brakes/smaller wheels vs the twin turbo cars.
Old 05-31-17, 08:17 PM
doggo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all the kind help!! So what l've summed up from this: Get a 98+ year, not a whole lot of support but sounds great looks great rides great. I will for sure hold out for the right one! Final thing l gotta ask because it's what l know least about: If anyone knows any good websites that have performance parts for sc400? And if anyone knows any in depth about 1UZ upgrades that'd be really awesome (Anything that doesnt require opening up the block that is)

Also if anyone has good sites for suspensions and aesthetics, that sell bags and body kits etc.... Hoping to maybe go splitter and diffuser? Unless it looks rice ofc lol

Thank you for everyones help!
Old 06-01-17, 07:37 PM
Mephobia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My humble 2 pennies, I currently own both cars and my mood dictates which one I'll pull out. The manual 300 if I feel like being actively involved, the 400 if feel like being comfortably carried. The only upgrade to the 400 is a injen intake, the low pitched deep growl it gives my stock exhaust is music to me. I wouldn't mind adding a LSD one day. Definitely be selective and wait for the right one and i'd suggest you look at the " you know you're an SC owner if" thread there's a lot of info about the quirks of the car.
Old 06-01-17, 09:23 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 96 SC400 on purpose as I wanted the v8 rear wheel drive as I had in the days before there was snow on the rockies. 96/97 have zero interference engines earlier 1uz don't. I like the looks of the 95/ 96 models best but went 96 for the improved engine. 98 and up have vvti. 96 and up must have timing belts maintained because if you break one you can do alot of damage. Newer ones have the 5 speed gated shifter auto trans. All 400 come auto and manual swap can be a pita. The auto can be modified with higher stall speed converters and shift kits tho. Mods on the 1uz are limited before you have to break the bank. You can turbo the older ones but not recommended for vvti. Limit for hp is 400 or so before major rework. Nothing better than sound of a healthy v8 and rock solid reliability of the 1uz.
Old 06-02-17, 12:07 AM
doggo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
I bought a 96 SC400 on purpose as I wanted the v8 rear wheel drive as I had in the days before there was snow on the rockies. 96/97 have zero interference engines earlier 1uz don't. I like the looks of the 95/ 96 models best but went 96 for the improved engine. 98 and up have vvti. 96 and up must have timing belts maintained because if you break one you can do alot of damage. Newer ones have the 5 speed gated shifter auto trans. All 400 come auto and manual swap can be a pita. The auto can be modified with higher stall speed converters and shift kits tho. Mods on the 1uz are limited before you have to break the bank. You can turbo the older ones but not recommended for vvti. Limit for hp is 400 or so before major rework. Nothing better than sound of a healthy v8 and rock solid reliability of the 1uz.
Thank you for the reply the information in very interesting.... Im curious, do you know what toyota did to their engine when they bumped the power from (I believe) 240-260 and then 260-280? I'm sure someone must know what they changed around to make the extra power. Maybe it was just tuning? Kind of a shame the parts aren't really there for the 1uz. It's such a great sounding looking and riding vehicle. The vast majority of my modifications will be aesthetic, and eventually a manual swap. I'm really not interested in the sc300s. Does anyone know if the manual from the 300s directly swaps over? With no issues with the extra torque and hp the v8 makes?

Also, has anyone LS swapped a 400? Is it a popular thing to do? If so I'd love some link and information on cost and where to get parts to do so and examples of ones people have done etc.... I love the 1uz but when you get power hungry not much can stop you lol.... Thanks again for the reply
Old 06-02-17, 12:13 AM
doggo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mephobia
My humble 2 pennies, I currently own both cars and my mood dictates which one I'll pull out. The manual 300 if I feel like being actively involved, the 400 if feel like being comfortably carried. The only upgrade to the 400 is a injen intake, the low pitched deep growl it gives my stock exhaust is music to me. I wouldn't mind adding a LSD one day. Definitely be selective and wait for the right one and i'd suggest you look at the " you know you're an SC owner if" thread there's a lot of info about the quirks of the car.
As an owner, is there anything l should specifically look out for when buying a sc400? Is there any known large issues or small issues that turn into large ones if left unfixed that l should be weary of and check out before purchasing a car lm looking at? Whether it be with the engine tranny suspension etc... Also it isn't going to be my daily. I'm still going to daily my 04 cavalier because its like a hamster on fuel its awesome, and when gas is $1.40 a liter no one can really afford a V8 every day. Not to mention l get bored of driving auto and l need the manual in my chevy to keep me awake lol. So if you know anything about winterizing and/or how to keep it healthy if l rarely drive it that would be amazing information
Old 06-02-17, 12:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Saying LS swap and wanting big power, but yet you don't want to do a turbo build on a the JZ inline six family(SC300 and JDM 1JZ GTE Soarer), man maybe you should just look at something entirely different. I know people have said 1998+ SC400, yeah, they sold like 2000-2500 of those cars, for model years 1998, 1999, and 2000. Its a rare car, probably even rarer in Canada, if you can't import it from the US, a 1998+ SC400 is probably unobtainable.

I'd seriously think about doubling your budget from 5-8k and just buying a really nice C5 Corvette. If you can't double your budget, you can get the same LS1 V8 in a 4th gen Camaro or Firebird in pretty nice shape in that 5-8k budget.
Old 06-02-17, 11:21 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

+1 on what Aron said. What you are trying to do and what you are budgeting for doesn't add up. LS swaps have been done to these cars but they are expensive and there isn't any official support for it so a lot of home fabrication would be required. There are even some Toyota V12s put into these things doesn't mean its easy to do. If you want to get the car and swap an LS into it then it shouldn't matter which SC you get because aside from the engine and trans they are virtually identical. And of course none of this is going to fit into a 5-8k budget unless you do all the work yourself and even then you'd be cutting it close.
Old 06-02-17, 01:15 PM
doggo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Saying LS swap and wanting big power, but yet you don't want to do a turbo build on a the JZ inline six family(SC300 and JDM 1JZ GTE Soarer), man maybe you should just look at something entirely different. I know people have said 1998+ SC400, yeah, they sold like 2000-2500 of those cars, for model years 1998, 1999, and 2000. Its a rare car, probably even rarer in Canada, if you can't import it from the US, a 1998+ SC400 is probably unobtainable.

I'd seriously think about doubling your budget from 5-8k and just buying a really nice C5 Corvette. If you can't double your budget, you can get the same LS1 V8 in a 4th gen Camaro or Firebird in pretty nice shape in that 5-8k budget.
Yeah l know an LS swap would be pricy. I have a friend who swapped his 240 and it cost him nearly $20k. I wasn't saying thats what l want to do lm just simply curious as to whether or not people have done it before. And if so what it would entail for the car, because all cars are different it wouldn't be the same as swapping an ls into a 240. Like l said l was simply curious. As far as the 2JZ goes, yes l don't want one. I have already said that its too common and done before for me. I like uniqueness and individuality. 2JZs are lame in my eyes. Because everyone has one. Everyone knows they make huge power. Its boring. Its cool sure but, boring
Old 06-03-17, 12:08 AM
doggo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
Ah, the penny drops.

He's 19 years old.
Pardon?????????
Old 06-03-17, 09:09 AM
FUtom
Driver School Candidate

Great thread! Well worth the reveal.

I'm in the same place myself, but want a nice daily that needs only some personal touches. I've already done my LS swaps and other stuff. Ready to get out of a regular car payment.
Sorry this is starting to look like a hijack.

Good advice whether someone is ready for it or not.
Old 06-03-17, 03:59 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Youth and enthusiasm are great resources but the stark reality of these cars is they are expensive to "evolve" whether you can do the work yourself or not.... A lot depends on your goals for the platform along with time and budget constraints.

The threads of these forums have a lot of information to learn from but that also takes patience and sound decisions/choices to make and in the end it is the owner's to make....

If you come to these web sites expect wide opinions and critiiques of your choices.
Old 06-04-17, 02:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Well I'm going to be honest, these cars are just damn great drivers if you find one in good stock condition and don't mod it. I bought my 1992 SC300/5 speed back in 2012 with 59k miles. Its at 97,400 as I write this on this date, so maybe a couple of weeks from now its going to turn 100k. This is a two owner car(I'm the 2nd owner), somebody who has always maintained it, kept it garaged, waxed, always looked after it. Over the 40k miles, I've had to replace the door speakers, the driver's side window motor, recharge the a/c, do a total brake job, front and rear, put one set of tires on it, and replace the clutch hydraulics(the only real issue that effected reliability). I just love that 2JZ-GE/5 speed combo, granted it isn't fast, but man does it love to rev, the handling is very stable.

Handling, going up(and down) the tail of the dragon, with stock suspension, is one of under-steer. The limits aren't that high, but man the Lexus is one heavy car, it always steers to the outside corner. Stock brakes are lacking, going down the hill from NC to TN. Going up the hill, 2nd gear is way too long, and yet 1st gear is too short, at that 30mph upshift.

Yet you can hussle one of these cars up or down the tail of the dragon, I caught a Toyota FRS going uphill and passed him, going downhill I caught an Acura RSX. I kept pace with some maniac going full tilt in a mid 90's K1500 4wd chevy truck going down the hill, hell he passed me at one point, then I passed him again, which really proves the point that on the Tail of the dragon, knowing the road is half the battle. Also blocking out fear and the smell of burning brakes is part of that Tail of the Dragon experience.
The following users liked this post:
FUtom (06-04-17)
Old 06-04-17, 11:53 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a sc400 in good condition with zero mods. Try to get black interior with a slick top. Earlier years are better...6 bolt mains and thicker rods.

Buy a welder, take a course practice and "git good." Then fab up a single turbo, 5 speed swap and you'll have a car that's reliable, fun, unique and will blow doors off most cars.

The Xuz is the best engine toyota ever built. They used in production I. Some form or a other for like 30 years. It has more thought into it than you existence does...ok that might be pushing it.

You can easily build one for looks, with power and torque the JZ guys wish they had (also maybe pushing it.)

Bottom line if you don't have money and you can't turn a wrench then DO NOT BUY AN SC. You will go broke fast trying to do **** to either platform.
The following users liked this post:
FUtom (06-04-17)

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase SC400, need expert advice