SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Towed car by Rear Wheels = DAMAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 10:02 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towed car by Rear Wheels = DAMAGE?

I had my car towed today. When I went to pick it up, I noticed the rear wheels were FULL of dirt/dust from unpaved road but the front wheels were CLEAN. That showed me it was towed via the rear wheels. Now, are SC's are RWD, doesn't that damage anything?
Also, my hand brakes was engaged and gear was in 2nd (5spd) when I parked it and when I picked it up. Doesn't it also damage the hand brakes and my gear teeth would've been jacked up?
The towing folks quickly tried to explain that the towing guy had got inside the car somehow (forced entry?) and disengaged the brakes and put it in neutral. I kind of doubt that because wouldn't my alarm have gone off? I was in a house right next to my car so I would've DEFINITELY heard it.
Please give me your opinions. Do I have a case here?
Old 06-09-03, 10:21 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not if you parked where you weren't supposed to.
Old 06-09-03, 11:44 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The wouldn't have towed your car with the rears locked up, if they did your tires would have an enourmous flat patch. They will slim jim there way into the car and pop it out of gear.
Old 06-10-03, 07:57 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Towed ???

If you don't mind me asking why did they tow it ??? What did they say when you asked him how they got in the car with out setting the alarm off ? Did you have to pay anything when you got your car back ?? I don't think you would have a case on your hand, but I am not 100% sure... If you did you could prob only get any money you paid to get the car back refunded, and that would be if you were not parked in a tow away zone and that you can prove it.

Shawn
Old 06-10-03, 08:22 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

They probably used dollies on the rear wheels (think little skateboards) and towed it from the front, which was lifted up behind the truck and didn't get any dirt/dust. As 90redsupra said....you would have some pretty cool flat spots and a bread crumb trail of black tire tracks leading you to the correct tow yard.
Old 06-10-03, 10:20 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

i paid $90 to get my car bak (it was parked w/ out a permit outside of my friends' townhouse).
They did say they slim jim to get inside. i looked it up and it looks something like this:
looks vicious, i needa look for scratches around my door now.
i still don't know how they could've done that w/out setting off the alarm thou...
they definitely didn't use dollies. the rear wheels was very dirty w/ mud splashed inside the guards too.
Old 06-10-03, 11:09 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

I'd believe them and check your alarm. It sounds like it might suck or something.
Old 06-10-03, 02:48 PM
lawman
Driver

Originally posted by Legends6spd
i paid $90 to get my car bak (it was parked w/ out a permit outside of my friends' townhouse).
They did say they slim jim to get inside. i looked it up and it looks something like this:
looks vicious, i needa look for scratches around my door now.
i still don't know how they could've done that w/out setting off the alarm thou...
they definitely didn't use dollies. the rear wheels was very dirty w/ mud splashed inside the guards too.
The slim jim does not open the key lock on the door it opens the internal levers to open the door lock.

The slim jim is used by sliding that "hook" part down, in between your drivers/passenger door glass window and the outer rubber seal on the lower, outside portion of the window - usually above the door lock area. You know the rubber portion that keeps the rain/water from going into your door - they just pull it back a little and slide the slim jim down. They "hook" the lock and pull it up/out/sideways to open the lock. So if there is any damage from the slim jim it would be on the glass window or the rubber seal. You might be able to tell where they shoved the slim jim down by the rubber being shoved down as well, but probably not as the slim jim really does not cause scratches and such.