SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

3 Questions..Can someone at least answer one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 11:51 AM
NYCSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Questions..Can someone at least answer one?

1. How do you fix the pilot light? Mine doesnt work when i open/close the door. I would rather do it myself than pay $90/hour for labor if it's simple.

2. I noticed my steering wheel doesn't move anymore when I put the key in the ignition. Does anyone know why? (i think someone posted on this but i didn't see an answer)

3. Is the moonroof supposed to stop midway? If it doesn't thank goodness, cuz i thought i would have to have it fixed.

4. Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a sideview mirror?

These are issues that I have been losing sleep over as does any imperfection on my ride.
I don't even want to start thinking about modding until these things are out of the way. Hopefully some of you veterans will impart some of your wisdom.

Thanks,

-wc
'94 Pearl SC300

I know I said 3 questions, the last one just came to mind.
Old 06-10-03, 12:18 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: 3 Questions..Can someone at least answer one?

Originally posted by NYCSC
3. Is the moonroof supposed to stop midway? If it doesn't thank goodness, cuz i thought i would have to have it fixed.
To answer your question.
The moon roof is to suppose to stop/close three quarters of the way with the first touch of the button,
then completely close with a second touch of the button.

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 06-10-03 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 12:20 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Default Re: 3 Questions..Can someone at least answer one?

Originally posted by NYCSC
1. How do you fix the pilot light? Mine doesnt work when i open/close the door. I would rather do it myself than pay $90/hour for labor if it's simple.

2. I noticed my steering wheel doesn't move anymore when I put the key in the ignition. Does anyone know why? (i think someone posted on this but i didn't see an answer)

4. Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a sideview mirror?

These are issues that I have been losing sleep over as does any imperfection on my ride.
I don't even want to start thinking about modding until these things are out of the way. Hopefully some of you veterans will impart some of your wisdom.

Thanks,

-wc
'94 Pearl SC300

I know I said 3 questions, the last one just came to mind.
#2, there is a button the stearing colum that says 'auto tilt' make sure that is pressed in, you can dissable the stearing colum from retracting when you pull the key out of the ignition using it... probably accidently pressed off.
Old 06-10-03, 01:15 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the pilot light, do you mean the one in the front center of the roof over the reaer view mirror? If yes, check that the switch is in the correct position. One is off, one is on and one is on when door is open.
Old 06-10-03, 03:53 PM
NYCSC
Driver School Candidate

i have actually tried it on all three positions with no luck, believe me. my neighbors have walked by probably wondering what this guy is doing sitting in his car cursing while opening and closing his door repeatedly.

Is there an easy way to get the cover off?
Old 06-10-03, 04:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

NYCSC,

I've got the same problem (*1). Have you checked the fuses? They may be out (in a RHD Soarer it's located in the RHS kick panel, may be different in the SCx00).

To remove the light cover, you'll see a small gap in the clear panel, use a flathead screwdriver and CAREFULLY prise it off, section by section, you'll get it off eventually. What I noticed was that my bulb was still fine, I think it's got to do with the fuses but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet.
Old 06-10-03, 04:55 PM
NYCSC
Driver School Candidate

thanks soarer, i'll give it a try.

Number 4 is really killing me though. I know it's gonna run me $500 or so. Some dude clipped me on a narrow street and the mirror is not completely busted, the frame is chipped and bruised. Obviously I have no handle on this car lingo yet.
Old 06-10-03, 07:00 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
NYCSC,

I've got the same problem (*1). Have you checked the fuses? They may be out (in a RHD Soarer it's located in the RHS kick panel, may be different in the SCx00).

To remove the light cover, you'll see a small gap in the clear panel, use a flathead screwdriver and CAREFULLY prise it off, section by section, you'll get it off eventually. What I noticed was that my bulb was still fine, I think it's got to do with the fuses but I haven't had the chance to check it out yet.
The dome light's fuse is under the hood in the main fuse box. It's a 15amper I believe. It will be labelled on the back of the fusebox cover with a diagram labelling "DOME". Before you go through the trouble of checking that fuse, check to see if the door lights, gauge clock, or the kick panel light light up when the door is open. They are all on the same circuit, so if they are all dead then it must be a fuse. If it is just the dome light dead, then it is the dome light bulb.
Old 06-11-03, 05:57 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

NYCSC,
Enquire for a side mirror for your SC at the wreckers, you might strike it lucky and get one that doesn't have any damage, or maybe at the most needs to be repainted. I myself am searching for the JDM Soarer mirrors, a.k.a. ultrasonic, or "shaker" mirrors.

lex400sc,
Originally posted by lex400sc
The dome light's fuse is under the hood in the main fuse box. It's a 15amper I believe. It will be labelled on the back of the fusebox cover with a diagram labelling "DOME". Before you go through the trouble of checking that fuse, check to see if the door lights, gauge clock, or the kick panel light light up when the door is open. They are all on the same circuit, so if they are all dead then it must be a fuse. If it is just the dome light dead, then it is the dome light bulb.
I checked out the globe a few weeks ago for this problem (my door lights are still operable, kick panel light is busted), I took off the cover but the globe itself is fine, so I'm hoping it's just a fuse and not part of the wiring that might need to be changed. I don't know if the wiring harness (for simple things like the lighting) are the same between the Soarer and the SCx00 but I'd be guessing they're just about the same?

Last edited by BLK13X; 06-11-03 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-03, 05:04 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

#1: try cleaning the contacts on the dome light. I had the same problem. Fuse was fine and the bulb was fine and I had power to the bulb- confussing as hell. But I just cleaned the contacts and all has been fine ever since.

#2: I've heard of the motor messing up on the steering wheel extender. Do a search here, as someone did a FAQ write up on how to fix this problem. I can't remember, but I believe it involved taking the motor out, cleaning or changing something, then reinstall. It worked for a lot of people. Sorry I can't remember more.

#3: Yep, stops half way, just got to let go, then flip the switch again. Annoying as hell, but I'm sure its that way for a reason.

#4: Sorry, don't have a clue, but its not too hard for a DIY'er.