SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Heck with Mods - Part 2, Making my SC look like new

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 05:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Ryan,

great job. it is very amazing waht you did with that project. your dedication is truly admirable.

i purchased my 92sc300 with 68K last december from a doctor. it was a one owner car, dealer serviced, and garaged all of its life. the car looked exactly like yours, since it was pearl white. i didnt have the chrome rims. my leather was perfect, interior was gorgous, and the exterior didnt have a dent on it or a ding.

after driving for about 7 months, i recently sold for an incredible profit. i say the sc is the best car i have ever owned. i will be staying at a dorm next year and i cant have a car (as i have 2 already), so i let the sc go. once i finish in about a year, i will be picking another one up.

its a great car, and it goes to show the owners who maintain it perfectly get a lot of return on their money.

its better to be driving a clean/stock, immac lexus, then a bling bling chromed out lex, wtih the motor leaking oil.

keep up the great work
Old 06-23-03, 02:07 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. Looks brand new!
Old 06-23-03, 10:39 AM
lucino
Rookie

Car looks great! Great Job! Well Done!
Old 06-24-03, 05:18 AM
LexFather

Wow, this thread seems to be pretty inspirational. This is great.
Old 06-24-03, 04:21 PM
ridah
Driver School Candidate

how do you fix rips to the leather? vinyl? that covers the frame of the seat as seen the the picture attched?
Attached Thumbnails The Heck with Mods - Part 2, Making my SC look like new-seat.jpg  
Old 06-24-03, 06:09 PM
seemerise
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up SC

GREAT LOOKING SC BRO-----I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE THIS POST.
THANKS FOR PUTTING ME BACK ON TRACK.
Old 06-26-03, 09:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

yeah i was thinking the same thing mine have deep scuffs on them...in need to get those replaced..

CEO
Old 06-29-03, 12:13 PM
SRK
Driver

You have done an absolutely magnificent job. Credit must also go to the body shop that painted the car - it looks spectacular.

I bought my wife an LS400 a while back. I currently drive a "cough" domestic "cough" car, and when I am done with it, I intend to get an SC400 for myself. Your car sets a very high standard.
Old 06-29-03, 02:01 PM
Lexus6415
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Beautiful Job!!

Wow!! Your car looks great. I have a '98 sc400, same color, that I pamper constantly. Your '93 is by far the best looking I have seen.
Old 07-05-03, 02:44 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

5 years from now people will still think our cars are a 2000 model....even when they are 15 years old..

CEO
Old 07-06-03, 06:37 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Yeah, does anyone know how to fix the vinyl covering on our seat frames? mine has numerous tears and rips and I would really want it to look perfect.
Old 07-07-03, 03:22 PM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

I have a White 99 SC / 400 that I tell everyone I will "never" part with. Seeing your project and "logic", you proved me right. NICE WORK.
Old 07-07-03, 06:44 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i have to post again,this thread deserves it....utterly flawless...
Old 07-07-03, 09:06 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
I sat in his car and the steering wheel, with that extra layer of padding under the leather, felt great! While I was in there, I tried my key in his ignition, but unfortunately, it didn't fit. So I had to drive my own car home.
So that's what you were doing in there! To tell the truth, I'm a bit relieved, you seemed pretty excited and I thought maybe you were doing something else...

Just messing with you Perry, couldn't help myself. Seriously, it was really great to meet you and so many other CL members that I only knew from the board before.
Old 07-07-03, 09:45 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm quite honored by all the accolades that still get posted - Nextlevel, you are too kind.

I have been getting quite a few PM's as a result as well. It was really great hearing from people who I inspired and they were able to fix up their cars for much less than they thought it would cost. Shawn asked about the nets on the back of the seats. I will go back and find my old thread and update it with the fix info, so it is easy for everyone to search under later.

Many of you asked about the vinyl under the front seats. If you have scuffs, even some bad ones, our good old friend Soft Scrub is the answer. Most of you may remember a discussion of this in relation to cleaning up leather seats. I have found that it is the absolute best deep cleaner on most vinyl surfaces. For those of you that didn't read the leather threads, Soft Scrub is a mild abrasive cleaner. Make sure you get the kind WITHOUT bleach. I like lemon scent. Use a soft cotton cloth that is damp and put on a drop of Soft Scrub and gently rub it into the scuff. Go gentle at first and only use a small amount. Check the towel to make sure you are not removing much color from the vinyl surface as you go. If everything is going good, you can rub harder. This is how I've cleaned up many interior pieces - even the airbag cover that now looks brand new (be VERY gentle if you decide to try this). I have rubbed very hard on the vinyl under the seats with Soft Scrub and have never had a problem. It would be great if someone here with mostly just scuffs could try this technique and report back their experience.

The rips are a different situation. I have a few minor ones that you can't see in the pictures myself. BTW, what the hell are people doing in these cars to rip these things up anyway? There are a lot of vinyl repair kits on the market and some interior spray products made by SEM that can be used. HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY advise you to go to someone who does interior repair. The pros can do a much better job than you or I - there is a bit of art to the process. I have gone through the SEM colors myself and nothing matches our cars perfectly - you need to blend the color to get an exact match and this takes experience. I would suggest that you talk to a few local dealers and see who they use. They do this stuff all the time before selling used cars.

I think the only other question I received was about where I did the mechanical stuff. A shop I have used for well over 10 years in Costa Mesa did the day-to-day maintenance. Someone many of you already know - Todd at TM Engineering, did the tune-up and suspension. The engine sounds excellent. If there is anything I missed, just let me know. Again, thanks for the continued kindness, it really makes me feel good to have helped or inspired so many CL members.

Ryan

Quick Reply: The Heck with Mods - Part 2, Making my SC look like new