Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2 ohm........madness.........
Old 06-19-03, 05:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Personally i love orion. That amplifier is a current ("I" amp) monster, but you already know that sucks juice like a japanese bullet train. Gotta love them though, they do what they were designed to do. Clean juice

It looks like the amp is mounted enough on it's side to where it won't boil the top row of outputs, but you can test that yourself by feeling the lower heatsinks and seeing if they are cooler than the top. if the difference is substancial, you know your cooking the top outputs a bit. Remember, heat rises. most high power amps are usually mounted flat for even cooling, but the angle looks fine and a burndown is not likely. I don't think this will be the case especially since the amp is out in the open.

I've had some good experiences with PG X-max. They really perform, but are extremely picky about the box they go in. If you find yourself bottoming out on the low's (check with trunk open) then you have found my only beef with PG's.... they need more airspace than the specs say to really shine. Clearly you weren't worried about hauling anything in the rear and decided to dedicate the trunk strictly to the system and if your life dictates you can get away with the space of the back seat, your good to go.

I'd definately make certain over time your battery terminals stay clean, that amp works similar to a US Amp in that it will burn down below 11.6v which seems low, but in a situation of heavy amp draw and a bad connection.... 11.6v is very possible. so keep your battery terminals clean. The more load you draw, the faster they will corrode.

Overall, everything is mounted out in the open and clean and there seems to be no hindrances at all. I like it.
Old 06-23-03, 03:24 AM
Slow_go_400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Angel
The subs only require 1 cubic foot of space each So I have plenty of box space .. I beleive it was just a hair over 3 cubic feet total.

It hits hard, and it sounds great ... it isn't as loud as my Civic was with only two 12s in it ... but of course we all know the reason ... because of that damn 20 gallon gas tank in the way I am pleased with the results. Now I need to replace all those factory speakers next ... that will be awhile.

BTW, I am using the stock Lexus head unit.
Angel,

Congrats on the system it looks great!!

I also have 2 15's flush mounted as you. Just wondering if your having the same problem as I do with the trunk lid rattling. If your not having this problem. Can you please share how they stopped the trunk lid from rattling. I have my entire trunk with 2-3 layers dynamat extreme and still it rattles on. I mean don't get me wrong its loud as hell, but the it does prevent me from really getting the most out of my 15's. After all, if we are going to disturb the peace we should at least annoy people with clear and crisp sound, free of those ghetto rattles. Any how, I totally agree with you. I had civic before with 2 12's also. It pounded harder than my SC, and I was running RF pushing only 150W each vs. my eclipse aluminum 15's with 500W each. So, yeah the gas tank sucks!!! I took the advise of others from this board and removed the metal piece that covers the gas tank from behind the rear seats, and the cut a rectangular section from the trunk that allowed the air from the trunk to pass through the old factory woofer. If you do this a small porting of your gas tank will be seen when opening your trunk. But I went ahead and covered the top portion of the tank with the same carpet as my trunk. If you a bass head like me this modification is well worth it.
Old 06-23-03, 07:08 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Thanks for the review onelasttry

My trunk lid doesn't rattle, and I don't know why The whole car is pretty sound and I am very pleased.

Thanks for the advice, but I won't be doing any cutting unless it is for weight reduction Good luck to ya! Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Here are some new pictures
http://www.turboforum.net/lexus/pictures/062203
Old 07-30-03, 10:45 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Slow_go_400: did you ever fix your rear lid from rattling? mine is rattling way too bad now..