SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus In-House Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 08:16 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lexus In-House Tuner

It seems like Mercedes is making lots of progress with its in-house tuner AMG, same with BMW and its tuner M(motersports). Why doesnt lexus have such a tuner? It seems like Lexus has all the right cars, and I think people would be very interested in buying them factory tuned. Even crapy Ford has a tuner (SVT). Lexus needs a car to match the performance of the Mercedes E55 (494 horses), or the BMW M5 (400 horses). Plus, Lexus owners do not have the wide range of aftermarket products that Honda or Nissan owners have. So, Lexus need to provide a line of factory aftermarket products. Well, all of this is just my personal opinion, all I know is that as a Lexus owner this is some thing I would like to see Lexus do in the near future.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-17-03, 08:21 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TRD???... sure you have to import it, but our cars are just toyota's over seas... or how about TTE (toyota team europe) or L-tuned... some of these are factory aftermarket parts... but there is no true in-house tuning that makes the car a super car like M or AMG

Last edited by sc400texas; 06-17-03 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 08:52 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Can you buy a GS400 TRD, or a IS300 TTE from the dealer? No. But you can buy a M5, or M3, or any AMG product from your LOCAL dealer, not a dealer in Japan or Germany.
Old 06-17-03, 09:10 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GOLDSc300
Can you buy a GS400 TRD, or a IS300 TTE from the dealer? No. But you can buy a M5, or M3, or any AMG product from your LOCAL dealer, not a dealer in Japan or Germany.
did you not see that I said these were not in-house tuners... I was simply saying that lexus does offer factory after market products!

get your mind correct...

by the way you can get a euro sport gs300 or something like that... its just a slightly tweeked suspension- so yeah, theres one for ya, even though it is certainly not AMG... or even SVT-
Old 06-17-03, 09:38 PM
sarita911
Rookie

Mercedes had to buy AMG because they couldnt develop the program in-house. Now Brabus is emerging and will steal their spotlight.

But the bottom-line is that while the Lexus is a nice car, it doesnt inspire anything - racing, blingness, etc. Does anyone really want a high-po Lexus? If so, the market would have found that niche, and a tuner would have emerged. My guess is that the average buyer is the same target customer as Cadillac, who wanted more reliability with an import. Does any one want a high-po Caddy?

Lets admit, we buy these cars cause they're great bargains for the money in relation to performance and reliability, but if we had the means, we would've bought MBZs or BMWs.
Old 06-17-03, 09:45 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but an SC400 LRT sounds preety aggresive (Lexus racing Tuned)
Old 06-17-03, 09:56 PM
GOLDSc300
Pit Crew

Originally posted by sarita911
Mercedes had to buy AMG because they couldnt develop the program in-house. Now Brabus is emerging and will steal their spotlight.

But the bottom-line is that while the Lexus is a nice car, it doesnt inspire anything - racing, blingness, etc. Does anyone really want a high-po Lexus? If so, the market would have found that niche, and a tuner would have emerged. My guess is that the average buyer is the same target customer as Cadillac, who wanted more reliability with an import. Does any one want a high-po Caddy?

Lets admit, we buy these cars cause they're great bargains for the money in relation to performance and reliability, but if we had the means, we would've bought MBZs or BMWs.

Actually Cadillac will be introducing a new line of tuned vehicles. I remember reading that it will soon introduce a CTS with a vette engine and 6-speed transmission. And, if no one wants a high-po lexus then why are so many people putting expensive aftermarket parts on them. Go through the threads, you will find that people are putting new engines and trannys into their Lexus' why? Because they WANT MORE PERFORMANCE!!!

Last edited by GOLDSc300; 06-17-03 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 10:00 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Well hell even cadillac is coming out with a souped up version of their CTS..
Attached Thumbnails Lexus In-House Tuner-ctsv.jpg  
Old 06-17-03, 11:27 PM
jayesays
Driver School Candidate

L-tuned versions of the is and the gs and the ever popular rx have been available some time now
Old 06-17-03, 11:38 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally posted by sarita911
Mercedes had to buy AMG because they couldnt develop the program in-house. 1. Now Brabus is emerging and will steal their spotlight.

But the bottom-line is that while the Lexus is a nice car, it doesnt inspire anything - racing, blingness, etc. 2. Does anyone really want a high-po Lexus? 3. If so, the market would have found that niche, and a tuner would have emerged. My guess is that the average buyer is the same target customer as Cadillac, who wanted more reliability with an import. Does any one want a high-po Caddy?

4. Lets admit, we buy these cars cause they're great bargains for the money in relation to performance and reliability, but if we had the means, 5. we would've bought MBZs or BMWs.
1. Brabus has been around for a while.
2. Yes
3. Toyomoto/trd/l-tuned/srt/daizen
4. yes, correct
5. no.
Old 06-18-03, 05:12 AM
chrisngrod
Driver School Candidate

In reference to Caddies... Yes we want performance :-). That's why there are a couple of companies doing motor work for us and a supercharger is on the way. They just have to finish the computer work.
Old 06-18-03, 05:19 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

what are they developing a supercharger for? i hope the sc300? ::crosses fingers::
Old 06-18-03, 05:52 AM
chrisngrod
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Sorry man I'm talking about a supercharger for Northstar engines.
Old 06-18-03, 06:00 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

I was hearing possibilities of Lexus throwing the LS V8 in the IS. Did that project die or is it still in the works? I personally can't wait to see the CTS V series car come out, or the rumors of a V12 Escalade. Its about time America got back in the race. I do hope Lexus takes a performance route. Maybe a new 400hp GS in a year or so?
Old 06-18-03, 07:18 AM
5speed300
Pole Position

In a year or two I dont think 400 horsepower will keep up. ex. 493hp E55 and soon to be 500+ horsepower V10 M5. But a 300 horsepower IS would be nice.

Quick Reply: Lexus In-House Tuner