SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Pics!! Aftermarket Headunit, Sub and Amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 06:42 PM
cmdace18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodluck.
Was the surround for your HU custom fabricated or is there some place you can pick it up, cuz I really need one for my upcoming install. I'm doing mostly alpine too with a one DIN folding screen and i like the fact that your surrounding plate looks pretty clean and full. Oh, and I was wondering about this yesterday. What can you do about the OEM volume ****? Can you remove it and cover the hole with a dash kit? Serves no purpose and seems outta place with a new HU.

It was custom fabricated when i had the install done. You cant' pick that piece up - and they dont make an aftermarket kit. Yeah, i love the clean look. Everyone is telling me to put a pocket, or something else in - but taht would require that i cut up and take out the new custom done piece .. no way im doin that. Paid extra money for that piece, and it looks good to me.

The OEM volume **** turns, but is obviously shut off. I do not know of any 'plug' piece that would clean it up. You could prob do it yourself with some paint but that would be tough. Id just leave it.

Last edited by cmdace18; 06-25-03 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-25-03, 07:57 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sound?

hey cmdace,
how does it sound? did you replace all of the speakers in the car? I have the same sub, but havent installed it. Did you take out the factory 10? Im wondering if one type R will be enough or should i get two? thanks man.
Old 06-26-03, 08:08 AM
cmdace18
Driver

hey buddy .... it sounds great. I only replaced the rear speakers w/ type R 5 1/4's. I'll prob replace the fronts soon. I took out the stock sub to let some sound through. Ive been told itmakes a difference. But im very pleased overall. 2 10's? obviously it would sound better, but 1 10 for me is enough. Just wanted some extra boom.

goodluck
Old 06-27-03, 03:43 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry

The amp looks like it was mounted well and i give it a However i'm concerned with overheating where it is and the fact that it stands strait up means it dissipates heat on the top of the amp and may lead to premature failure of everything on the top end of the amp. ESPECIALLY since it has no force air cooling. you are only using 15% of the amps heatsink to cool.

I like your car, and the system is definately installed well and not ghetto so i give ya a
You half right and half wrong here.. The amp will use all the heatsinks to cool, but you are right when you say that most of the actual thurmal heat will rise to the top. The amp is using some type of "FET" to transfer the heat to the sinks. This will allow all the Sinks to work fine, but naturally heat rises so therefore the top sinks will get the brunt of the hot air.

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 06-27-03 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 06:14 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by cmdace18
MRD M300 alpine amp ... hidden on the left side behind the carpet padding .. the sound place surprised me with the placement. . very pleased ..
The amp install is clean... I like! I'll be redoing part of my system in the upcoming week, what is the amp mounted on? Just normal MDF? Also, do you know how it's been attached to the metal?
Old 06-27-03, 07:13 PM
cmdace18
Driver

its mounted on mdf, and they used metal pices w/ holes in them and twisted them under heat - there are already holes on the side for the screws and basically screwed the mdf into pre-factory holes, and the metal pieces into the mdf and prefactory holes. . make sense?

and yes, its clean!
Old 06-30-03, 12:33 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, PerryinLA did it, and marcman18 did it, cames out real nice on both. The MRD series are fine mounted vertical, we do it all the time. I would try to fill in that space up front, but if you like it that's all that matters.