SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help!!! Engine is making Loud Ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 10:49 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help!!! Engine is making Loud Ticking sound

My engine have been making a loud ticking sound for a week already. It's very irritating like a clock of a ticking bomb or somehting. When the engine is on and when you shift it into gear it become louder. At first I thought it was the drive belt scratching, so i change it and still the sound is there. I really need help on this! thanks for any advice.
Old 06-27-03, 08:31 AM
SC3005SP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello,

Hello,
I had the same problem, however yours might not be a as serious as mine was. The loudticking sound in my engine started off very faint and within the next 10 minutes of driving I had blown a rod and obliterated a piston. I honestly don't know how it could have broken as I thought these engines could take a pretty good beating and that's what I gave it the night before. So maybe if you have this checked out soner than later it might help. But you said youv'e had that sound for like a week so I don't think yours is as bad as mine was. My friends said it sounded like a slight knocking in the engine from right around the middle of the top half of the engine. Our engines are non interference engines correct so If that's the case than I don't think valves are smashing your pistons. They smashed my pistons because mine exploded.
Have somone check it out sooner than later.
-Brian
Old 06-27-03, 02:57 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ticking noise in our cars is absolutely normal.
Old 06-27-03, 03:33 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

slight ticking of the injectors is normal. a slighter louder ticking from the valvetrain is not normal, and valve adjustment is necessary. if you leave them and think the engine is indestructable then you will seriously damage your car!! This engine is only indestructable when you take care of it!!
The loudticking sound in my engine started off very faint and within the next 10 minutes of driving I had blown a rod and obliterated a piston. I honestly don't know how it could have broken as I thought these engines could take a pretty good beating and that's what I gave it the night before.
people that think like this amaze me!

although, valve adjustment does not usually require immediate attention.

Last edited by boredguy77; 06-27-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 04:19 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Could possibly be a bent valve???

Lexus recommends adjusting the valves every 125k miles. That's not too much to ask, respectively. My SC400 has a few slight ticks. I've heard over and over that this is nothing to worry about.

That's the first time I've heard of a Lexus having bottom end failure (SC3005pd). It must have been taken quite a flogging the night before. . .

Keep on keepin on
Matt
Old 06-27-03, 10:39 PM
SC3005SP
Driver School Candidate

Default Yea A flogging

Hello,
Yea my problems all started when I was coming home from school. I was driving down the parking lot and hit a bump that sent the rear of the car up and I was going so the rpm just shot way past where they were supposed to. That's when it all started and it just went downhill from there. The engine was fine before this and I did my best not to over rev the engine. It took some getting used to as I had to keep an eye on the rpm when I first got the car, I had a B16A Crx before and that car just loved to rev. I admit I gave it a beating but I had no idea it would fail like it did. The next day it just started driving and was making a super slight ticking sound and then 10 minutes later it sounded like I've never heard, complete destruction of it. The previous owner said he treated it nicely and fine and kept it in line but I think maybe he might have slipped up somewhere along the line. However now I have a 28,000 mile motor in my 92 so I am happy, it was almost worth it. I also think that cars are meant to be driven and I was just having some fun with my friends the night before. It was all safe and no one was around except us so yea we just had our fun. I paid for it more but I'm happy with this new engine, now all I need to do is replace the tranny as it feels like it's going out. I'm going to post a thread about my tranny in a second actually, so if you guys can answer those questions I'd appreciate it.
-Brian
Old 06-28-03, 12:22 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get it to the dealer right away. I hope it won't be serious, cuz i love my car and I hate to replace my original engine.
Old 06-29-03, 10:48 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

James good luck take care of your baby!

CEO