SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-03, 06:44 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get a RX-3 and gut it... Could pick it up with 2 or 3 people...

I agree with Em though, weight reduction is no biggie, weight distribution is what you really need to look at if you care about handling...

I took my stock SC (being the pig that it is) out on the race track (Streets of Willow) andI turned in decent times using stock tires and brakes....and if you're trying to make a 1/4 mile car, I would look into a 2JZ-GTE swap or a supercharger or something to that effect....
Old 06-29-03, 06:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might get the CF hood and paint it black since I am sure the 80 pounds I save is somewhat balanced out by the weight of the turbo system.
Old 06-29-03, 06:57 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Emerald
Uh, I didnt say they had track events in mind.....these cars are 'pigs', simple as that.

I said the car is well balanced from the factory...with all its 'heavy parts' and that those 'parts' are taken into consideration when building the car.
So when are we going to see a way of getting our hands on all this cool junk you've got for your car? And more importantly, has what you've done to the car been detrimental to its overall performance?
Old 06-29-03, 09:36 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Emerald
Weight reduction is easy....Weight Distribution is a science.

-Taking the hood from an SC (that’s built for comp.) will be noticeable...but not in a good way, it throws off the dynamics of the car. It’s the same with any other car....
-There’s a reason why the spare weighs so much
-There’s a reason why the gas tank is located where it is.
-There’s a reason why the front seats are heavy yet the rears are light as a feather
-I’m sure you get the picture......

*Take for example: Our 850CSI is a heavier than the SC., yet the hood weighs about 2/3 less

There is a reason why the SC's hood weighs more than the BMW...since both cars are pretty well balanced (BMW a bit more)

This (SC) car is so well balanced from the factory that it was not a coincidence...they built it that way.

> My advice is this: Learn about distribution first before trying to reduce weight when building a track car. If you're looking to build a drag car you’ve started in the wrong place
WORD!

Originally posted by mamurra2
Um, not trying to be an ***, but you really think that Lexus had track events in mind when they contracted someone out to make the spare wheel and tire? The reason it weighs what it does is because steel wheels are more economical than aluminum...don't get me wrong, weight distribution is great, but that can be largely left up to the suspension via corner balancing.
U *******!! jk but EM's right. yeah it's not like the engineers were building out a pure out sports car, but everything was built to correspond with everything else. and also had safety in mind. everything on that car was put there for a reason. and im's sure weight distribution was considered greatly on the build of due to safety on this car. because they wouldn't put to much up front then when a crazy lady breaks she'll skid forward or powerslide into a turn. and if to much is on the back there wouldn't be enough manuverability stop to early and get rearended.. blah blah blah.....okay i'm not in a good mood so i don't feel like typing....-.-
Old 06-30-03, 12:40 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the front seats are heavy because they are powered, sprung and electric.
I would think the rear seats are light because they are small, seldom used and uncomfortable. Most sports cars I have taken apart have low quality/cost/weight rear seats, almost exactly the same.

Why would they make the spare tire heavy and the rear seats light? One suggests adding weight at the rear, the other suggests not. The common theme: both are economical.

I would expect the hood is heavy because it is HUGE and made of thick metal. As I am adding weight under the hood, I need to remove some too. This is why the battery is going to the trunk, among other things. My car already slides the front laterally badly around corners when I really push it. Plus it's got to carry my 230 pounds

And the Viper, for a "fat *** monster", weighs about 400 pounds less than my Soarer. A composite body will do that for you. 700+hp race ready Vipers can be had for 60 or 70 thousand. That is a car specifically designed for road course racing... try and beat it around a track!

If I was looking for weight reduction, I would look at a fiberglass hood (several people on here have them), new seats (they are super heavy), drop the spare. Should be able to lose 150 pounds for under 2 grand.