SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 short shifter>>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-01, 12:39 PM
FastSC300

Hey all,
well today I finished my short shifter install! YOur probably wondering where I got it???? Well I made it! I just got a welder and thought this would be a good first project. I took off the shifter(dismount from transmission) and did some modification to the stock piece. The peice is something else, it is actually a shaft(the part that the shift **** is connected to) that is connected to another main shaft which actually mounts to the tranny. I simply cut about an 1 1/4" from the 2nd shaft and welded the two remaining peices together, the 2nd shaft is held on to the main shaft by some kind of metal/rubber locking gasket, I could not remove it from the main shaft. Well after this I reinstalled it and took it for a drive and the shifting FEELS faster and more precise, and it is a shorter throw from stock, besides it looks cool too sitting down closer to the tranny(doesn't look so tall), reminds me of my supra. Well just thought I would post this....some might like to know.

Scot Hail
SC300 5-SPEED

Old 03-25-01, 04:47 PM
eericn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking pic

That sounds real nice. I thought the shifter on the 5 spd was too tall. Could you post a
pic of it so we all could see how nice it looks.

Thanks
Ethan Norris

92 SC300 5spd.
Old 03-25-01, 09:42 PM
FastSC300

yeah I made it the way they should have.
I had a chance to drive it more and I liked it alot, it adds much more sportiness to the car. The 2-3 shift is much shorter and much less of a dog leg but the biggest improvement is the 4-5 shift, that was a huge dog leg with the stock shifter height, I would estimate that it eliminated about 2/3 of the dog leg traveled with the stock shifter. I am planning on taking the shifter out again and welding it directly to the main shaft, that way it will be rock solid shifts and have absolutely no flex in the the shifter at all.

ps...Lexus goes a long way to add comfort to something so small as shifter!! Oh well........ great quality

Scot Hail
Old 03-26-01, 09:52 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

hmm you got a welder? good i knew you would be good for something! heh wanna take a crack at welding some endtanks onto my a'pexi gt skyline intercooler? you'll kick my *** if you find out how much i got it for.

-brian
Old 03-26-01, 11:00 PM
FastSC300

sure man....let me know. I believe I will need some aluminum wire for that project though.

Dont even tell me about the price on that.....all I know is I better get the hook up when I'm ready to turbo!

Scot Hail
Old 03-26-01, 11:14 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

of course ill hook you up... just let me know what you need... i can pretty much get ANYTHING at a good deal... so let me know.... late

-brian
Old 04-17-01, 06:15 AM
lxxxs
Driver

im doing my shifter, the way u suggested, im just checking to make sure on something.
the 2nd shaft u reffer too is the large diameter part w/ the rubber inside of it, that the shift **** screws into, right?

and u were talking about welding the whole thing to the main shaft? what is that ?
Old 04-17-01, 08:58 AM
FastSC300

There is the main shaft that actually connects the shifter to the tranny, this piece is solid and about a 1/2" diameter that runs through the hollow shaft(the part the shift **** is screwed to). You can just cut a 1" or how ever much you want from the hollow shaft and the weld the two pieces together. I could not seperate the 2nd shaft from the main shaft, so I just left it on. I think believe the the rubber gasket that holds the hollow shaft to the main shaft is there to reduce noise and vibration.
Scot Hail
Old 04-17-01, 09:09 AM
lxxxs
Driver

cool, thats what ill do then. how is ur shifter going no problems? im cutting it right now as we speak,LOL
Old 04-20-01, 09:36 AM
lxxxs
Driver

i did the weld that u recomended to the main shaft also... huge difference but the whole thing rattles and vibrates like a *****, b/c theres no rubber bushing or anything there to deaden it. im going to try some gunk silicone and pack the bottom of it as well as some type of dyna mat around the shifter itself
Old 04-20-01, 11:21 AM
FastSC300

Yeah mine makes a little noise too, good idea about the silicone, I will try that also. Glad you like it
Scot Hail
Old 05-10-03, 06:39 AM
bigmonkey70
Rookie

Mine make noise too. I tried the dynamat around the shifter and it doesn't make any different. I put the stock shifter back on and bam.... not a single noise. After playing around with it for a whole day, I found out, in my case, the shift **** is the cause. I drove the car with the shiftknob and without the **** and of course, no noise without the ****. I think the shallow shaft with rubber probably cancel out the vibration and noise. I tried the rubber bushing from my B&M Kit for the Celica and that doesn't help. Now I am on the Silicone solution now. Hopefully I don't have to drive without a ****
Old 05-10-03, 07:25 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do they not make short shifters for the sc3's?

I know C's has a few that are 'supposed' to work with the Soarer...
From what I hear they send 'either-or' of the two when you order.....and one of them doesnt fit
Old 05-10-03, 09:14 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifters

Ms. Em's right (as usual ) The TRD short shifter for the 5 speed Supras fits just perfect. I've been using it for about 5 months now and just love it. It *is* a bit pricey though If you guys can weld up the stock shifter, I'm sure you can get the same result for a *lot* less $$
Old 05-10-03, 11:33 AM
bigmonkey70
Rookie

But isn't the TRD one only for the 95 and up? Do they have one for the pre 95 ?

Quick Reply: SC300 short shifter>>>