SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

True Ice Blue / Red caps for the clusters !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 12:38 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Do yourself a favor and read this:

http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html
Old 01-15-06, 04:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

mystickid, I built that exact setup and it spotted horribly.
Old 01-16-06, 05:33 AM
mystickid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Well, the only solution I have planned so far for spotting is sanding the tips flat for better light diffusion but I still don't know exactly how it'll turn out.

Could you please help me to resolve this problem?
Old 01-16-06, 11:36 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I developed the technique over many months. My advice is "keep building" it. I'm all for DIY spirit, ce. I only build ONE time and it's done. I've modified the units over 100 times , regarding technique. moving an led 1/10 of an inch changes everything.... you can't teach that.

If history tells anything, A few people will try then get frustrated after it spots everywhere and is not consistent. After they pull their hair out enough either they get it closer to acceptable, but the led's burn out - or they never get close at all. Then I get the unit in shambles - they've already spent $50 to $75 in led's that aren't up to the quality I demand, and they still don't have a working unit. Then..... I finally get it, like I should have in the first place.

I can't teach you technique, but I can tell you what does NOT work, so i'll be happy to review any efforts you think up.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-14-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-16-06, 12:12 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default I agree...

Yeah, OLT is 100% right about the placement. The wiring, the voltage, resistors - that is the easy part. Sure you can get high quality, high output LED's - @$80 for all the backlighting, @ $6 for the needles.

But... dang the devil's in the details.....

If you are not good with your hands, does a simple stereo install look like a hack job? Then just send the unit in to OLT. In the long run it is worth it. I did one unit, but will not do any more - it is so worth paying someone else to do it - and I LOVE soldering and working with circuits.

Otherwise another SC is out there looking sad... and then we cry, and then the next owner cry's...
Old 01-16-06, 12:34 PM
mystickid
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry guys, I guess I should’ve of mentioned this earlier but I don't have an Lexus at all, rather I a m doing this for my 1998 Toyota Camry.

I don't know of you recall Brian, but may you remember many months back in 2005 where you received about 10 emails from me @ sohhail@gmail.com requesting if you could do the job on a 98' Camry. You mentioned that you needed the Voltage Schematic because you guys modify the voltage feed and so you were only limited to Lexus models at the time.

You guys @ Lextech produce real PROFESIONAL results so I was really looking forward to have your 32 White with Bloody Red Needles done but since it couldn't progress I began looking into LED-ing myself .

Thus I am here now trying to get my cluster lit. I can understand your point of view quite well though, you were the 1st person to even start this type of LED Cluster backlighting and still the only one, well, the results and testimonies speak for themselves.

Frankly, I feel it would be rude to come on your forum/post & disregard your services just so I can save some money and do my own project. However, with my options limited to just myself, I wanted your assistance to continue a passion still inside me.
Old 01-16-06, 03:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Oh, i'm not saying let me do it, i'm saying keep practicing. Like i said it is all about technique and you just can't teach that. What you have is a great start, but "I" know it will spot. I'm saying keep working with it I've never turned down a good DIY effort, that's why I started this thread and posted pics and info on the units
Old 01-16-06, 09:29 PM
mystickid
Driver School Candidate

Okay, thanx.

I guess I'll keep at it and let you know how it turns out and if there are any issues.

Btw, will my wiring work in the picture above?
Old 01-17-06, 12:20 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

"I" wouldn't run it like that, but this is all about design. YOU create it, so your resistors, measurements, etc determine if that is actually possible to run series. 933's link was a good resource.
Old 01-17-06, 05:29 AM
mystickid
Driver School Candidate

Thanx,

I visited 933's link and reviewed what it says about series and parallel. Unfortunately, I'm still abit uncertain to how and which way will yield optimum results for my design application.

Pardon my incompetence but could you suggest a better route or any other tips for me to take? I need all the help I can get.
Old 01-17-06, 07:30 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

If you take a look at the LED tutorial I referenced above, you will see the first diagram is LED's in Series. That is basically how I would set it up, but for this application, I would use no more than 3 led's for each 'run'.

So, lets say that your auto voltage is max 14.4v, your LED's are super white LED's with a 3.6 forward voltage and 20ma current with 3 led's on each run. If you go to the resistor calculator here:
http://metku.net/index.html?sect=vie...calc/index_eng then you can calculate what size resistor is needed for the run, in this a 180Ohm resistor capable of 0.18watts (or higher).

so... 12V+ ------------- Resistor 180 ohms------- Led 1----- Led 2 ------ Led 3 --------- Ground

This 'package' of 3 leds should now be installed in your cluster so as to reduce spotting
- think diffusers if needed. Or sanding helps and get them flat and close to the gauges.

If you would like for this package (go ahead and wire all your packages the same way and then terminate all the positive and negatives together for tie in to the vehicle power grid) to work off your dimmer then you need to ensure that you keep the current draw below the OEM bulb and just wire into the dimmer circuit. A bit more difficult than just wiring into a switched 12V.

Hope that helps.
Peter
Old 01-17-06, 10:00 AM
mystickid
Driver School Candidate

Alright,

thanx Pete, that helps a bit.

I will try it the way I have right now and Sand down the LEDs to diffuse light.. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 01-17-06, 11:20 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I'd recommend NOT sanding them just to diffuse, you lose 40% of the light output when you diffuse them. = dim cluster. Rather, keep working with them until you get them correct.
Old 01-22-06, 12:31 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
What do you think of the Hyper Blue and Satin White setup?

O.L.T., could you please sell me those needles or whatever parts to fix that needles? My car is a 95 SC400. The speedometer needle has blackened out completely. Is there a place for parts or a way to fix the needle? Lextech can do that but I'll have to send out the whole dash in which I can't do since I have only 1 car to drive. Thanks alot.
Steve
Old 02-16-06, 06:14 PM
swedboy07
Driver School Candidate

pretty sure the red dash and blue needles are baller please let me know how i can do this myself i would love to send it you but that arises a problem that the person above me had. i only have one car... sorry but i'm great with my hands and have been working electronics for many years please let me know maybe a web site? let me know if you want one i can set one up for you hit it up

'92 SC 400

Quick Reply: True Ice Blue / Red caps for the clusters !!