WOOD TRIM KIT here ya go guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 11:32 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default updated status

Hello everyone,

Well... I'm sorry to disappoint everyone but it's a NO go.

I selected the factory match color with the order. The kit I received is dark brown. Quite a bit darker than my factory bird eye maple.
The feel of the pieces is rubbery. It's kinda of funny because my existing add-on wood trim is much harder. I felt like I'm holding a piece of rubber.

I called customer service and asked to return it. I believe Igor talked to me and told me that the problem could be because the wood trim varies from model year to model year but he agreed to waive the normal 15% return fee as promised.

Conclusion: I'm very disappointed. I guess I'll have to physically examine the wood trim of whoever claims that his look like factory.

Last edited by sc400; 07-31-03 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-01-03, 06:29 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Lex,

That's some nice work! Who crafted the parts for you?

George
Old 08-01-03, 06:35 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets all remember that you are trying to match OLD wood with an old finish to NEW parts.

There's no 'paint code' for wood, who knows what type of OEM clears are used,curing temps,reaction to elements over a decade (1992+ cars) etc....
:::::::::::
Kinda like people who dont see why 'blending' is needed when painting to code.

If you take a 92 SC with orig untouched paint and had a fender painted to code it would not match....
it would have to be blended because of the age and various conditions the car had been subjected to.

Which is why theres a fee for blending oem panel repairs.
:::::::::::

It seems theyve done a good job creating a kit....Ive seen MANY and can tell by a quick glance that theyve put more time into theirs.

BUUUUUUUUUUT, If you want a perfect match, an 'off the shelf' 200.00 product will not work.
AND, Its not the kit manufacturers fault that someone is trying to perfectly match a new part with a 10 year old part.

If you want a factory finish Im sure you could take the car to them and have them do it.....but dont expect 200.00 price tag or group buy options.

Last edited by DriftGirl; 08-01-03 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-01-03, 09:58 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
Wow Lex,

That's some nice work! Who crafted the parts for you?

George

Legend5, the owner is Tom, product and service are excellent. He sent me and let me return a couple kits until we got the match right, sent me a replacement piece later, i'm picky and I can vouch for L5. There apparently is not a single manufacturer of a high quality factory match kit in real wood for the '98-2K cars with the Walnut Burlwood (I ordered most of them ), I convinced him to have it made (didn't want to go synthetic), and he says he's got no problem with doing it for any of you guys if you want. The L5 kits for the Birds Eye Maple '92-97 cars are excellent also, i've got a couple of their pcs in my '95 that I just added, i'll take a pic when I get a chance. Not cheap, but worth it IMHO, plus a couple extra pcs also.
- LL

...and I agree w/ Em, many variables, colour matching a body panel is a very good comparison, UV rays can totally change wood's colour over time, not to mention the epoxy coat weathering, etc...
Old 08-02-03, 08:55 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: existing wood ??

Originally posted by asnatlas
Has anyone found a kit that replaces the existing wood along with adding wood to the rest of the areas ??? That is about the only way I would buy a kit, I don't get why these places don't have setups like this so that EVERYTHING would match..... Also these kits are layouts that go over the existing areas like a sticker right ?? Why don't they remake the arena so that it looks better, like on the Benz and Jag where everything on that area is wood and looks the same, not like in the pics posted here when you look at the cup holder(s) you have wood layout then you have the tanish/brown existing area bordering the wood on the edges.. To me it just do not look good, granted it would cost more for a setup like I have listed but it would look 200x better... Its a Lexus... Needs to be PERFECT

Shawn
Lex, when you take come pix can you take some close up shots of your of the pieces, also around the edges if you would... And is Tom able to make the new pieces along with remaking the existing pieces so that everything would match since it would all be new and from the same "batch" so to say....

Let me know...
Shawn
Old 08-02-03, 12:31 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Far as the edges Shawn, they're beveled if that's what you're wondering, but I used alot of heat to get the pcs pliable enough to mold them nicely (not recommending this if you're a spas ), also L5 is not set up to manufacture pcs such as the oe wood trim, and therefore can't make them out of new and matching wood, kits are laser cut (if they have good equipment) from a sheet of wood or synth material or whatever substrate you're using, different process than making 3 dimensional trim pcs to fit into a dash. Best you can do for that as far as everything matching would be to deal with Emerald and get yourself full replacement for everything in CF, if you want wood it won't be possible for everything to match perfectly, not just in grain and colour, but in gloss as well. Get as close a match as you can and polish the oe wood trim to match the glossier aftermarket trim.

- LL
Old 08-04-03, 10:02 AM
hansjl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lex, you said "Not cheap, but worth it ." So how much was the cost of not cheap? Certainly looks great and very well crafted. Also how long did the install take? Thanks.....
Old 08-04-03, 10:43 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by hansjl
Lex, you said "Not cheap, but worth it ." So how much was the cost of not cheap? Certainly looks great and very well crafted. Also how long did the install take? Thanks.....
Install took me well under an hour, as for price you'll have to talk to him, I believe retail is around three and a half bills for the 'deluxe' kit, maybe fifty bucks less for the regular kit, really not too bad, make sure you prep the surfaces well and take your time, there's no rush...