SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No warranty on tinting the front windows?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 10:35 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks a bunch Neo.

Jon

Originally posted by Neo
Check your PM. I was mistaken. It was a Sac shop.
Old 07-23-03, 01:34 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

A couple more questions please.

I just found a place in Sacramento that would do similar jobs for the same price. The difference between this guy and the others is that he seems to be very confident and takes a lot of pride in his work.

To make the story short, he was not afraid to use the words such as "suck", "half assed", or "poor quality" on his competitors. Basically, he said he uses the so-called "new school" method where materials such as dry processing, baby powers, Solar Guard HP films etc. are involved. And as for the other old schoolers, they're still outdated with methods such as "wet processing".

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

How do I know if a tint shop is as good as what he claims without biting the bullet by paying him first?

Thanks guys.

Jon
Old 07-23-03, 02:15 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
A couple more questions please.

I just found a place in Sacramento that would do similar jobs for the same price. The difference between this guy and the others is that he seems to be very confident and takes a lot of pride in his work.

To make the story short, he was not afraid to use the words such as "suck", "half assed", or "poor quality" on his competitors. Basically, he said he uses the so-called "new school" method where materials such as dry processing, baby powers, Solar Guard HP films etc. are involved. And as for the other old schoolers, they're still outdated with methods such as "wet processing".

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

How do I know if a tint shop is as good as what he claims without biting the bullet by paying him first?

Thanks guys.

Jon
I'll be more than happy to explain these methods to you.
1st: Dry Processing=The method of preserving food for extended periods of time without use of a cooling devise.
2nd: Baby Powers= The power the baby has over human hearing and the ability he has to keep you from sleeping at night and makes you waking up several times to change underware or for feeding.
3rd: Solar Guard=Like Right Guard but over 1,000,000x stronger.

Hope this helps..

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 07-23-03 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-23-03, 02:27 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

LOL...

There's goes my $160 down the drain...

Jon

Originally posted by SCLexus3.0
I'll be more than happy to explain these methods to you.
1st: Dry Processing=The method of preserving food for extended periods of time without use of a cooling devise.
2nd: Baby Powers= The power the baby has over human hearing and the ability he has to keep you from sleeping at night and makes you waking up several times to change underware or for feeding.
3rd: Solar Guard=Like Right Guard but over 1,000,000x stronger.

Hope this helps..
Old 07-23-03, 03:16 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, seriously..

He is just trying to sell you... You have to use a water based solutions to hold the tint to the window to cut your design, and you use the same solutions to spray the inside so you can fit your tint in place and work the air bubbles out.. He is BSing you....

Solarguard is nice tint, but their metallic lines tend to rust.. I really mean it.
Old 07-23-03, 03:26 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That what I was thinking too...

But I don't know who to believe (between these two shops I mean) now... Arrrrgh..

Would you prefer Sunguard over Solar guard then?

Thanks.

Jon

Ok, seriously..

He is just trying to sell you... You have to use a water based solutions to hold the tint to the window to cut your design, and you use the same solutions to spray the inside so you can fit your tint in place and work the air bubbles out.. He is BSing you....

Solarguard is nice tint, but their metallic lines tend to rust.. I really mean it.
Old 07-23-03, 08:02 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

That what I was thinking too...

But I don't know who to believe (between these two shops I mean) now... Arrrrgh..

Would you prefer Sunguard over Solar guard then?

Thanks.

Jon
Neither of them, get Lumar tint, its good stuff.
Make sure any place that does it offers you a lifetime warranty... Some placed won't warranty the front because some states won't let them tint the front..
Old 07-23-03, 08:13 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks.

Hey SC3, I know you tend to get bored pretty easy. I would hate to see you just sit there, stare at your monitor and do nothing for the entire day.

Hence, I've found a site that's pretty interesting.

http://www.tintdude.com/install.html

Check it out, it talks about baby powder heat shrink and dry heat shrink, etc. Looks like that guy wasn't BSing me after all.

What do you think?

Jon

Neither of them, get Lumar tint, its good stuff.
Make sure any place that does it offers you a lifetime warranty... Some placed won't warranty the front because some states won't let them tint the front..
Old 07-26-03, 05:46 PM
lexsoarer400
Rookie

do any of you guys know if vista is any good? i want to get my car tinted and was looking at a company that did work on our house called Best Window Tinting. how does it compare to llumar? anyone used it before?

They also use 3M and suntek . . . all three have a lifetime warranty

Last edited by lexsoarer400; 07-26-03 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 01:28 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different States have different laws, I'm in Florida and the legal limit for the windows are as follow, front two windows must be 28% or lighter, back two windows must be 15% or lighter, I think if you want to have your tints as dark as you want the shop shouldn't have a problem putting them on, now if you get a ticket then that's resonable that they shouldn't have warranty if they tell you that you are getting illegal tints. I personally like privacy in my car. I have two sheets of limo on my front and back windows and on my rear window. I guess I have 2.5% or something. Well I've gotten pulled over a few times and those high beam lights that cops use couldn't go through my tints. He had that light shined at the window and you still couldn't see inside. Well I've prolly gotten like 4 tickets like this but I beat the system. I take a picture of another Lexus that has the same color and take it to court and tell the judge that I removed the tints and show him pictures of another Lexus with no tints. The ticket is dismissed.
Old 08-16-04, 04:42 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

So I called a few more shops around and was told that only the rear three windows are warranted (not the front two windows) because it's illegal to have tinted front windows in CA. Arrrrgh...
The last time I checked, which was about 5 months ago, it is legal in CA to tint the front side windows as long as they are not darker than 85%. Back windows can be as dark as you want. Windshield may not be tinted at all except in the top 5 inches or so (down to the A6 line).

Ral

Last edited by RalAegidius; 08-16-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 10:47 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

In Ca the tint has to be 70% or lighter. Anything you put on there other than uv shield will meter to low . The wet and dry methods refer to the way the back window it shrunk. Wet is the preffered method and allows a clean 1 piece install. If your set on the sun gurd film look at the radiant for the smoked look and the endurance for a more reflective look the radiant is a metalized film and wont turn purple but will fade to clear in about 3-5 yrs. Most shops wont warranty illegal film becuase if there is a problem they dont get paid by the man. to replace it like they would if it were legal. And as far as the vista film question its okay but llumar and the formula one line of llumar are going to be the best. If you really want the back window redone than the best method is called sweating it. If your dealing with a good shop they will know what your talking about. It will remove the old film and take most of the old adhessive with it and what doesnt come off with melt off with glass cleaner if done while the window is still hot so no need to scape anything.
Old 08-17-04, 10:45 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the info again, guys.

Even though I had long since gotten my windows tinted, I still find the additional info very helpful.

I ended up getting 40% Johnson film up front, 35% for the rear quarter windows and 20% in the back window. I think it looks pretty good.

Jon
Old 08-17-04, 02:18 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

the best tint is V-Cool and LLumar (sp?) i have lumar on 3 of 4 cars (BMW,Lex GS,Acura) none on my SC,
and its the best, usually if you ask they will provide. some tint shops use several brands. Lumar is gauranteed not to fade or change colors.

p.s. who brought up the the thread back from the dead didn't notice

Last edited by abboushi; 08-17-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 06:25 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by abboushi
the best tint is V-Cool and LLumar (sp?) i have lumar on 3 of 4 cars (BMW,Lex GS,Acura) none on my SC,
and its the best, usually if you ask they will provide. some tint shops use several brands. Lumar is gauranteed not to fade or change colors.

p.s. who brought up the the thread back from the dead didn't notice
Do you know if V-Cool and LLumar tint effect radar reception?