SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

No warranty on tinting the front windows?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 02:56 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No warranty on tinting the front windows?

I am getting my windows retinted today and when I called the shops around the Sacramento area, most of them quoted about for around $90 to have my front windows (2, driver and passenger windows) old tint removed and install the new ones. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, I was told that there's no life time warranty on tinting the front windows. The guy says I am doing this at my own risk. Was he BSing on this one?

Lastly, the shop said they're using some type of film called Sun Guard. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of film? When I go to the shop, how do I make sure that they're not trying to rip me off by using dyed films?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Jon
Old 07-22-03, 03:01 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every shop I have dealt with (both in Florida & Texas) will warranty all their work for as long as you own the car. The price sounds right, but if they are not confident enough in their work to stand behind it, look elsewhere.
Old 07-22-03, 03:17 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That's what I thought too...

So I called a few more shops around and was told that only the rear three windows are warranted (not the front two windows) because it's illegal to have tinted front windows in CA. Arrrrgh...

This really sucks, oh well.. not that anyone ever enforces this law anyway.

I think I am going to get the Sun Guard film. Does anyone know anything about Sun Guard? Which type would look best on a dark green SC4 with grey interior?

Thanks!

Jon

Originally posted by rushgator2112
Every shop I have dealt with (both in Florida & Texas) will warranty all their work for as long as you own the car. The price sounds right, but if they are not confident enough in their work to stand behind it, look elsewhere.
Old 07-22-03, 03:20 PM
ken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tint

Not sure if this shop is BSing you. I had my front and rear windows tinted and they are guaranteed for as long as I own the car.
Old 07-22-03, 03:24 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be a california thing to have no guarantee on the fronts. How far are you from Nevada??
Old 07-22-03, 03:27 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help, guys.

Apparently, it seems funny that they would guarantee the work they do on the rear windows but not the front? It must be the CA thing. I wish I were in PA.

Nevada? Well the closest town in Nevada I can think of is Reno, which is approximately 2-3 hours of driving away from where I am.

Jon

Originally posted by rushgator2112
Must be a california thing to have no guarantee on the fronts. How far are you from Nevada??
Old 07-22-03, 03:39 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Well if you use Krylon Window Tint Spray, it says on the can that they won't rust!

I don't know if Black Masking Tape has the same warranty
Old 07-22-03, 03:51 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Doesn't a black magic marker work better though?

Or better yet, maybe I should just get a can of black spray paint to have that ultimate 0% tint look.

Jon

Originally posted by SCLexus3.0
Well if you use Krylon Window Tint Spray, it says on the can that they won't rust!

I don't know if Black Masking Tape has the same warranty
Old 07-22-03, 05:11 PM
95SC4
Rookie

they tell you they give no warranty on it, because its a illegal and they make sure you know that

the shop I had told me the same thing but once i talked to the guy he said yea, if the tint peels or fades or anything we'll remove and replace it for free... but if i get a ticket for it I still have to pay
Old 07-22-03, 05:39 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

You're exactly correct on this.

As of now, this is what I am going to do with my dark green SC4. I currently have tinted windows all around but the color is old and faded (they're turning purplish).

I dropped by the shop this afternoon and unfortunately, they're unable to do my car today. I will have the tint shop remove my driver side, passenger side, and rear 2 quarter sides and install Sun Guard 35% all around for $150.00.

I know the price isn't exactly cheap but I am in Sacramento, which is very close to the Bay Area.

I was thinking about going 20% or even 5% for the rear quarter windows (the lowest the shop would do for me is 35% for the front windows) but I don't want to make my car look like a POS with three different shades of tints. (35% front, 20% rear and purple colored tint in the rear windshield).

What do you guys think? Should I just stick with 35% all around w/ my old tint in the rear windshield and be happy with it? Or should I go with 35% up front, 20% in the rear quarter ones and my old tint in the rear windshield?

Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks!

Jon

Originally posted by 95SC4
they tell you they give no warranty on it, because its a illegal and they make sure you know that

the shop I had told me the same thing but once i talked to the guy he said yea, if the tint peels or fades or anything we'll remove and replace it for free... but if i get a ticket for it I still have to pay
Old 07-22-03, 07:41 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Baby ///M3, my tints did the same thing turning purple, but perfect for me, a few weeks ago I started working for a guy who owns a tint shop. he's serious and does a great job. He has won numerous awards in tint competitions, and I'm learning how to tint myself. Anyways...the way it works there is that the law on illegal tints is kinda unspecified. It says its illegal to drive with tints that are too dark, but nowhere does it specify that it is illegal for a shop to apply tints of illegal shading (Now I dunno if these rules are state/city regulated so it may not apply in your area). He gives a lifetime warranty, and I got all my windows done at 5% for $249. Up here in WA isn't like TX or CA at all. He was trained in Texas and said the market was getting flooded so he moved up here and can get a lot of business for prices better to him, so he can do less jobs per day, which means more time on each car resulting in a higher quality, longer lasting tint. If anyone from WA needs some tints done, shoot me a PM and I can refer you to my boss.

James
Old 07-22-03, 08:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a buddy who tinted his windows but the installer will warranty the front windows. It is not written up on the receipt since it is illegal (in CA). The shop told him that they'll be able to tell based on price. If anything happens to the fronts, he brings in the receipt and because of the price, they'll know that they installed the fronts and fix it. Now, he has not had a problem so I don't know if this price thing works.
Old 07-22-03, 08:36 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Doesn't a black magic marker work better though?

Or better yet, maybe I should just get a can of black spray paint to have that ultimate 0% tint look.

Jon

Hey you're catching on. I remember one of your first threads where the reaction wasn't so quick
Old 07-22-03, 08:39 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

m3,
If you're trying to decide what to do for the different sections, I would keep it to a maximum of 2 different shades. I also would not leave any of the old purple stuff on at all.
If you're worried about the legalities, I would put the 20% on back and 35% on the front windows.
Old 07-22-03, 08:53 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

LOL..

I do enjoy the humors some of you put up once in a while.

As for having different shades on the car, the reason why I am leaving my old tint on the back windshield is that the installer said he would not be able to guarantee if he'll damage my rear defroster. I didn't want to take the chance so I just told him to leave it as it is. Fortunately, besides turning just a bit purple, it's still in perfect condition with no rips, tears, etc.

As for my other windows, I think it's probably better for me to go 35% all around (since the guy wouldn't do 20% on my front windows and since I don't want to have 3 different shades on my car ).

For $150 (including removing my old tints), I think it's pretty reasonable in this area where many shops are charging $220+ for full tints.

Thanks again for your help guys. This message board rules.

Neo: By the way, could you tell me where's place that your buddy had his windows tinted. It would be awesome if I can find someone in CA who warrants tinting the front windows.

Jon

Quick Reply: No warranty on tinting the front windows?