SC300/400 Mods that are FREE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-03, 06:19 AM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tggoodrich,

Yes, contradiction was the idea.

I realize that I am of the minority in a big way, but it sometimes gets very frustrating to try to sift through all the "mods" talk to find out basic information about my SC400. Yes, the same SC400 that has stock wheels, a 250HP V-8, stock lights, a Nakamichi stereo, 16" tires, etc.

Sorry that the boards would be too "boring" but not everyone desires to make their 95 seem like a 97, needs 19" South Dallas Wheels, turbos or LCD screens in their car. Guess I'm just "too old" for these boards sometimes. And yes, I know how to search..............

Just an opportunity to vent a little and have some fun.
Old 07-23-03, 06:48 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Free?

Originally posted by NRG
yes it would, but some mods are not worth the labor.
i dont see the point of a BFI, the head is running stock valve job, and injectors, so you dont need more air flow. Their has been proof that the stock intake/airbox is way better then any mod or aftermarket, on a stock head. That means toyota built the car right.
NRG,

go to www.planetsoarer.com
The BFI has proven to increase horsepower. Yes, the stock intake is designed very well, but the BFI will flow more cold air for an increase in power. Peter Scott has performed many tests using a gauge to see differences in pressure (nanometer). Many people have done this mod and have shown hp increases at the dyno. Many people continue to do this mod, that tells me something too (although people still put aftermarket intakes on stock engines which actually leads to loss of power).

Also, if you know anything about Peter, he is almost Type A. He thoroughly tests and documents and mods he does.
Old 07-23-03, 07:17 AM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mynoles1
tggoodrich,

Yes, contradiction was the idea.

I realize that I am of the minority in a big way, but it sometimes gets very frustrating to try to sift through all the "mods" talk to find out basic information about my SC400. Yes, the same SC400 that has stock wheels, a 250HP V-8, stock lights, a Nakamichi stereo, 16" tires, etc.

Sorry that the boards would be too "boring" but not everyone desires to make their 95 seem like a 97, needs 19" South Dallas Wheels, turbos or LCD screens in their car. Guess I'm just "too old" for these boards sometimes. And yes, I know how to search..............

Just an opportunity to vent a little and have some fun.
The only mods I do to my cars are the clean ones, like; Huge Orange stickers all over my car, Dual Exhaust with 6" tips, Gold tint that fade to silver, 14" Wire wheels, and Hydros!! Its cool because its like a sleeper!
Old 07-23-03, 09:26 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCLexus3.0
The only mods I do to my cars are the clean ones, like; Huge Orange stickers all over my car, Dual Exhaust with 6" tips, Gold tint that fade to silver, 14" Wire wheels, and Hydros!! Its cool because its like a sleeper!
Yes, but those mods are not free or cheap. You'll have to spend a whole wad of cash at Pep Boys for those quality mods. BTW, you forgot the huge metal rear wing (a.k.a. shopping cart handle) to improve your vehicle's downforce at speeds over 150. Also makes a neat place to hang and dry your laundry.
Old 07-23-03, 10:23 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

Who said it has to be legal!! Come on, if Honda and Mustang owners can do it, why not us!!!!
Because toyota/lexus designed the car so well that there are not little flaws that you can fix to make the car where it should be, unlike the domestics that usually have lists of free mods.
Old 07-23-03, 10:44 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCLexus3.0

BTW< who will do the BMW projector Retrofit for me? If you do if for free I'll let you borrow the Humvee for a weekend
damn, too bad you're not in CAli
Old 07-23-03, 12:16 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those that don't know- The BFI is a stock intake! NOt an aftermarket job.

If you know how to port the heads, thats labor only.

Clean in the intake manifold.... never hurts.

Make sure the air and fuel filters are clean (slight cost to replace them)

Other than a tune up, there's not much you can do performance wise even with money.......unless you install A NOS kit thats just sitting in your garage......that's labor only too!
Old 07-23-03, 01:46 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

If you know how to port the heads, thats labor only.
Yeah but equipment and experience is very expensive!!!
Old 07-23-03, 02:13 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Port and polish

Has anyone performed port and polish on their engines? How much would it cost and how much hp increase would be realized? Im estimating a good job would be worth about 8-10 extra horsepower at the crank...
Old 07-23-03, 02:44 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Clearing the 95-96 tailights is a free mod
Old 07-23-03, 02:54 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
one relay.... $5

set the relay to be always on with the ignition, when the turn signal pulses it goes to ground and turns the light off.

one relay per side. total cost...$10
actually I believe the car is all prewired and everything, even the bulb is double filament, the only part missing is a little piece of cable on the socket.... dunno why they didn't build it all the way but whatever.. the light stays on in low light and when you hit the blinker it just gets brighter back and fwd.. here, check Wiring and Lexus light

http://www.pbase.com/xavier/root

Last edited by Skulinex; 07-23-03 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-23-03, 04:20 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NRG:

Sorry man, but I have got to disagree with you on the BFI. Toyota did a most excellent job on the car, but the car's performance can be improved.

Igotta disagree with you too, Kevin. The BFI is a modification, albeit, not one that you can purchase and bolt on. Never-the-less, it is a modification of the stock airbox. If you already own a Dremel and a heat gun, you can fabricate the mod for about $45 in materials. The Plastic sheet is about $15, $10 for fiberglass materials, $10 for the Ballistic Bellmouth materials, and $10 for the glues and scrivets you will need.

I also tested the Toyota brand stock air filter against the K&N. The K&N made no real noticeable difference in the non-BFI'ed airbox. It makes a significant differance in the BFI'ed airbox. The K&N was about $60 bucks. Worth it!!

I would not change back. The performance is much improved!!

Thanks Peter Scott!!

Ryan
The following users liked this post:
TheBaron (03-17-23)