SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ATF leak after filling fan fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 01:33 AM
opisdfagjo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy ATF leak after filling fan fluid reservoir?

So I haven't driven my SC for about 2 weeks now because the old radiator broke. I ordered a new one at Pepboys near my work and when I picked it up and took it home and opened it, I realized it was the wrong item. It turns out somehow the SKU and all the numbers on the box were right, but it was as if someone put a completely different radiator inside...Anyways, I went to RockAuto and bought the ADPI radiator and paid extra for overnight shipping because I need my car. I get the part today and open it and it looks nothing like the photo...AGAIN. Instead of having to ship it back and wait for the new one to come in I said ***** it and installed it. I had already drained my radiator (but not the two other plugs in the engine block) and removed it. I removed a few things on the bottom of the radiator under the car and 2 of the things leaked out some kind of black/dark stuff? Is that dirty transmission fluid? I was thinking it was the fan fluid because I switched to red ATF when I replaced my steering rack.
When I was trying to slide the new radiator in I decided to disconnect the bolt (see photo attached) so I could move it a little more, I also disconnected another hose a little below where the photo is. Both leaked a brown/dark fluid.
So when I disconnected the banjo bolt in the picture, I did not think to mark where it was when tight, so now when I tightened it I just marked a random hole and where the hole in the tube was. Well after that I bought some Prestone clean and flush for the cooling system and added some water as per instructions on the bottle for a deeper clean. After that I decided to test drive the car and it seemed to run ok but I wanted to check for leaks so I got out and could see some fluid on the ground, so I parked it and turned the car off and popped the hood and could smell the ATF that I put in the fan fluid reservoir. I instantly thought about that banjo bolt not being lined up or something. Could that be the cuplrit? I don't want my new alternator to get fried again. Do I just torque it to spec?

TL;DR I didn't mark the banjo bolt on the fan shroud and ATF is leaking somewhere after filling the fan fluid with ATF. Is it the banjo bolt not being aligned or torqued to spec?

Thanks for your help!

This is where I believe it's leaking.