SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this normal on my SC4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 10:41 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is this normal on my SC4?

When my car's cold (meaning not driven over night), it usually takes about 1 second longer to crank the engine before it would start up. When the car's warmed up, it would start up instantly.

Is this normal for SC4? My other cars tend to have similar start up times regardless whether they are warm or cold.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-24-03, 12:05 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sound like anything abnormal. As long as the starter isn't grinding, and things aren't smoking, you're probably good to go. Of course I'm sure a certain someone might suggest it's gnomes & fairies causing your increased start time. I personally think it's those darn Jackelopes.
Old 07-24-03, 12:17 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rushgator2112
Doesn't sound like anything abnormal. As long as the starter isn't grinding, and things aren't smoking, you're probably good to go. Of course I'm sure a certain someone might suggest it's gnomes & fairies causing your increased start time. I personally think it's those darn Jackelopes.

Well i'm confused too, Its suppose to take 0.9999991 Seconds longer to start when its cold, if its taking a whole 1 second longer then you have a serious problem.. You might want to check your Fairydometer or your gnome relay... Also, have you rotated your Windshield wiper blades ? that might be the cause too.. Get back with me...
Old 07-24-03, 12:22 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run your windshield wipers at max speed while pressing on the gas with passenger window down and rear defroster on and make sure to have the radio on full volume but on mute while cranking....

on the serious note... I don't think its anything abnormal.
Old 07-24-03, 12:50 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

SC3.0. Thanks for your help. Now I am confused too. I acutually timed using my watch and instinct so I am not sure how far off I was from the 0.9999991 mark.

Can I borrow any kind of measuring tool you may have to help me on this?

Jon

Originally posted by SCLexus3.0
Well i'm confused too, Its suppose to take 0.9999991 Seconds longer to start when its cold, if its taking a whole 1 second longer then you have a serious problem.. You might want to check your Fairydometer or your gnome relay... Also, have you rotated your Windshield wiper blades ? that might be the cause too.. Get back with me...
Old 07-24-03, 12:53 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

I'll bet he wants to keep his fairydometer to himself.
Old 07-24-03, 02:31 PM
MikeysSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys just made my day
Old 07-24-03, 02:38 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

SC3.0 and Rushgator:

Another question for you please. I've just bought an electronic ruler so I can accurately measure all the readings on my guage to ensure that my car's functioning properly. As it turned out, my temp. needle is actually 0.0111111111cm over what it usually registers.

Is there anything wrong with my gauge/car? Which component would you suggest for me to change to get my temp. guage to its previous position again?

Thanks a lot! Please help because I am pretty desparate and I am afraid to drive my car when the temp. is too hot.

Jon
Old 07-24-03, 02:44 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Did you shake the ruler 3 times before using it?? If you didn't, that may affect the dilithium calibration module.
Old 07-24-03, 03:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

You're all complete LOONS.

(you know dang well the fairydometer only goes to .001111111)
In my professional diagnostics, i'd say the reverserainburgspittlerotator was emitting a harsh multifunctional interplanetary form of nostrilburninggasfromuranus.

.............or maybe your outta gas.
Old 07-24-03, 04:15 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles you have on the car? Does the longer time to start consistent? Youe cold start injector may be on it way out. To fix it, you have three choices. One, take the cold injector out and have it clean. But if you're already took all the parts out of the way to get to the cold start injector, you might as well take the other 8 injectors out for cleaning & balance. www.cruzperformance.com does this for about $15-$20 each. Second, option replace cold start injector with new one, cost much much more the $20 but its new. Again, the other 8 injector need attention too since your already have the engine apart. Third choice, live with it until it is extreamly difficult to start when cold, then you have to change or clean the cold start injector. When you have difficulty hot start, one or more of your 8 injector are leaking and need replacement or clean & balance. I believed each injector cost more than $280 each
Old 07-24-03, 04:20 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you!

I've around 100K miles on the car.

Does anyone know when should these injectors be replaced?

Jon

Originally posted by VQT
How many miles you have on the car? Does the longer time to start consistent? Youe cold start injector may be on it way out. To fix it, you have three choices. One, take the cold injector out and have it clean. But if you're already took all the parts out of the way to get to the cold start injector, you might as well take the other 8 injectors out for cleaning & balance. www.cruzperformance.com does this for about $15-$20 each. Second, option replace cold start injector with new one, cost much much more the $20 but its new. Again, the other 8 injector need attention too since your already have the engine apart. Third choice, live with it until it is extreamly difficult to start when cold, then you have to change or clean the cold start injector. When you have difficulty hot start, one or more of your 8 injector are leaking and need replacement or clean & balance. I believed each injector cost more than $280 each
Old 07-24-03, 04:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

personally, i try to replace everything that is small and in constantly in use at 100k each time it rolls around. on the sc's it can roll around 3 or 4 times easy.
Old 07-24-03, 04:32 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you!

Jon

Originally posted by onelasttry
personally, i try to replace everything that is small and in constantly in use at 100k each time it rolls around. on the sc's it can roll around 3 or 4 times easy.
Old 07-24-03, 04:40 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Thank you!

I've around 100K miles on the car.

Does anyone know when should these injectors be replaced?

Jon
You don't want to replace this as a preventive maintenance. The labor cost to take the injectors out will give a stroke unless you can do it yourself. plus the parts $280 x 9 = $2,520

Quick Reply: Is this normal on my SC4?