SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 02:45 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on the road

Got my HorsePowerFreaks setup installed and the car is back on the road. She is WAY better than before, I am so overly pleased it is rediculous. I have 148 miles on the clutch setup so far, so after a few hundred more miles, I will give another update ... because if this thing holds the power when I start smacking on it, HorsePowerFreaks is going to be getting my vote everytime.

My old clutch (ClutchNet) had a rediculous amount of pedal pressure, it was very difficult to drive, especially in traffic. My wife had never driven the car. It was very chattery and when you pulled out from a stop sign or something, it would jerk very hard, chirp the tires often. There was no feathering, it was a pure on/off switch. Shifting was just as fun, not very smooth.

My new setup is the HorsePowerFreaks kit with sprung disc and ACT Pressure Plate. The pedal pressure is like stock, you wouldn't notice the difference. It is VERY easily feathered, it grabs later than the ClutchNet and pulls out so smoothly, I just can't get over it. I let my wife drive the car for the first time last night and I had no problem and no doubt that she could drive it like a normal car. She was very nervous, and after about 2 minutes of driving, she said it was like driving our Nissan Sentra. VERY easy, she didn't stall a single time, shifted smoothly, pulled out from stop signs smoothly. I am so happy with this setup ... so now ... I just need to see if it holds the power

For anyone wondering, I didn't have to replace the input bearing in the tranny. We called some technicians and apparently there is an allowable amount of play in the input bearing. We were within spec ... which was good news because it would've taken $500 labor to tear it apart and put in a new bearing. My flywheel was pretty roughed up, they shaved off 0.030" and he said he believed he took off about a pound of weight! I also needed a shim to make it work. Total bill for flywheel turning and shim was $63 Redline MT90 Gear oil was $33. HorsePowerFreaks Kit was $509 shipped and new throwout bearing was $32, so everything all together kept me under $650 and I am in love with my new setup. 5 speed tranny is still holding up fine
Old 07-27-03, 04:00 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on a 3 cylinder Geo Metro, right???