SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who's SC is in the 400hp club? 500Hp? 600?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-01, 12:50 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the 260hp club. Sadly. No forced induction yet...
Still waiting on my stocks to recover, and swift-racing.
more my stocks..=)

I know that mkilty(michael) has a swift-racing supercharged GS4 at 500hp..and he has no problems.

I was wondering how many of the SC's in this forum are putting out big power?

I know of:
Clint(sc300TT 900rwhp at last measurement)....
Jeff(sc300turbo-600rwhp at last measurement)
Ebanks(500-600rwhp projected)

ANYONE ELSE?

Anthracite SC

p.s. If you're running a stock SC4 pre-97...you are running sadly about 175rwhp..the tranny..robs you of a lot...

97 or up run about 240rwhp.

Old 03-26-01, 02:32 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool

Hey, thanks for the info on the side markers...

I thought the rwhp was 205 in the 92 - 97 SC4 and 178 rwhp for the SC3. Any way, I would love to be in the 400 hp club as well. I really only want to run the 1/4 mile in 13.8 sec...without spending a s@#* load of $$$...
Old 03-26-01, 05:37 PM
SuperSoarer

I've noticed most of these fast as hell SC's are in Texas? I wonder why that is...

It looks like my loan went through for the 97 300, so I'm gonna try to take a crack at getting my hp up with the big boys. I just hope I pass smog here in 'lovely' Southern Cali...

Old 03-26-01, 06:37 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Yakachuka!!! Horses galore in TX....

I think them Texans are steallin from the tax coffers already!! That darn Bush, takin care of his good ole buddys, figures there all driven Lexi or Lexuses, yall know them darn rice burnin thingamabobs...

Just Kidding, I actually like Bush, and Texas, and no, I'm not psychotic. But, now for my rice burnin thingamabob, she wants those horses under the hood. More fresh air is on the way via a new cold air induction. What is the advice from the big boys (over 350 HP min) for a mod blueprint so to speak? What to do , in what order? Most of us can only spend a few grand at a time, so should we:
Upgrade brakes: $2K (4 piston)
Twin Turbo: $5 to $7K (maybe less for a used wrecked unit??)
What next??? Upgrade the Pistons? Port & Polish?

Assume minor mods (under $700) are done every as needed (short shifter, cold air, etc..)

Why don't these awesome machines have more aftermarket support??????
Old 03-26-01, 08:48 PM
Lance
Rookie

Anthracite,

Do you mean 240 at the wheels for the SC models that are putting 290 at the crank (1998+)? Or was the tranny somehow different in the 1997 model right before they switched over to VVT-i?

Lance
98 Pearl SC400
Old 03-27-01, 02:36 AM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

ill be 400 rwhp club soon =)

-brian
Old 03-27-01, 10:30 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hey Lance

Yeah the 98 plus SC does about 240 at the wheels cuz of power loss from the tranny.
The 97 and earlier do about 178-180..sadly.

Old 03-27-01, 12:58 PM
SuperSoarer

What's the deal with the 92-97 SC Tranny? Hmmm well lets see...if i replace it with a triptronic it should be ok
Old 03-27-01, 01:06 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder how much power would be gained at the wheels with the addition of a good TC to my already list of mods... maybe 20 - 40 hp...

Hmmmmm, I'm curious...
Old 03-27-01, 02:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The engine makes power, this power is used to run the accessories and waterpump. Old (pre '72 power figures) were gross HP and ran engines without exhaust or accesories. Since then engines have been rated NET hp and NET tq. Net hp is with full exhaust and accessories as installed in the car. This is why the same engine in different cars (GS300 and IS300) may have different ratings (exhaust/intake/accessory differences). The engine then needs to rotate the torque converter, the transmission, the driveshaft, the differential and gears, the halfshafts and constant velocity joints, the hubs, brakes wheels and tires. This entire drivetrain mass takes power to rotate and is the reason hp at the wheels is LOWER than the factory engine rating. In our Lexus V8 cars this drivetrain eats about 60-70hp. A smaller, lighter torque converter would take a little less power to rotate and add a little to the rwhp number but its the added torque and rpm response off the line that is its real benefit. Manual tranny cars like the 5spd SC300s take less power away. Lighter tires and wheels helps a little also. Tuning and air flow can add some to the stock engine. SRT's air intake seems to perform the best on 98+ cars. After that exhaust, cams, superchargers, turbochargers your wallet is the limit.
Old 03-28-01, 07:23 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Wink Forced induction SC dreamers

Well....I'm planning to take my SC3 in stages & document the total experience on our Swift Racing site. I hope that this will assist those who desire the higher levels of power, but are not really sure what it is that they are getting themselves into.

In addition, it will also shed light on certain aspects that Lexus vehicle owner's need to take account for in advance. Yes, it will utilize new SRT forced induction technology on the Lexus I-6 motor (not a Supra TT engine transplant) & I also anticipate demonstrating drastically improved performance on the street, the strip (NIRA/IDRC) & autocross.

Pre-planned RWHP at project's end are anticipated to be in the.........................well, let's just say that I'll be looking for Clint later this year & I will also have a total understanding as to why he has the 2nd SC now! You know what, I don't want to waste Clint's time, so give me a year.

That's enough for now, I need to go adjust my gauges. If you guys love the work we have completed already, you REALLY haven't seen anything yet! I'll keep you guys updated.

Marken Smith, aka "Lexlyf"
msmith@swiftracing.com
CMO, Swift Racing Technologies
Old 03-28-01, 07:55 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Wink Forced induction SC dreamers

Well....I'm planning to take my SC3 in stages & document the total experience on our Swift Racing site. I hope that this will assist those who desire the higher levels of power, but are not really sure what it is that they are getting themselves into.

In addition, it will also shed light on certain aspects that Lexus vehicle owner's need to take account for in advance. Yes, it will utilize new SRT forced induction technology on the Lexus I-6 motor (not a Supra TT engine transplant) & I also anticipate demonstrating drastically improved performance on the street, the strip (NIRA/IDRC) & autocross.

Pre-planned RWHP at project's end are anticipated to be in the.........................well, let's just say that I'll be looking for Clint later this year & I will also have a total understanding as to why he has the 2nd SC now! You know what, I don't want to waste Clint's time, so give me a year.

That's enough for now, I need to go adjust my gauges. If you guys love the work we have completed already, you REALLY haven't seen anything yet! I'll keep you guys updated.

Marken Smith, aka "Lexlyf"
msmith@swiftracing.com
CMO, Swift Racing Technologies
Old 03-29-01, 01:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Marken, will the SRT supercharged SC300 be a one-off or will an SC kit be marketed? What other Lexus models will benefit?
Old 03-31-01, 05:17 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Hey J,

The SRT made supercharger will be an off the shelf product that you or anyone can purchase from us.

Technically you can use the SC unit in any vehicle, the only difference being the plumbing & electronics. We "can" complete a kit for any Lexus vehicle, you only have to ask!

Where are you located? Do you want us to use your car & develop a kit for your LS.

Are you game?