Front license plate on the SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 10:09 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front license plate on the SC

Arrrrgh..

I was late for work today so I had to drive a bit faster than usual. When I saw a cop camping out by the side of the road about 50 ft. ahead of me. I had to slow down to 25mph and roll down my windows. Luckily, I was able to roll down the windows in time as I drove past him.

Guess what? This dude still pulled up behind me and ran my plate. I guess he couldn't find anything to pick on me (I have a perfect driving record) so this genius decided to pull me over for not having a front plate.

Now I am pretty upset. How do I get a front plate mounted on my SC? I looked at the bumper and it doesn't even have holes anywhere for me to mount the plate.

I am in CA and the ticket I received is called the "fix it" tix according to the cop. Am I able to get away with it by just placing the plate near the windshield?

Please help.

Thanks

Jon
Old 08-05-03, 10:21 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably not. However, I would not drill holes in the front of my SC for the plate holder either. I assume that you have to go to the PD to show them the fixed plate. Stick the plate on the front of your car using double sided adhesive. After they look at it, remove it. Or better yet, if you want to get the plate holder, stick that with 3m tape to the front and bolt the plate to the holder, then remove it later. May be some trouble, but it better than drilling holes.
Old 08-05-03, 10:29 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks.

The cop actually told me that I can just show any cop on the road that I got this tix and as long as my front plate is mounted, he or she would be able to write it off.

Arrrgh.. all these troubles. I guess cops really have nothing better to do nowadays.

Jon

Originally posted by rushgator2112
Probably not. However, I would not drill holes in the front of my SC for the plate holder either. I assume that you have to go to the PD to show them the fixed plate. Stick the plate on the front of your car using double sided adhesive. After they look at it, remove it. Or better yet, if you want to get the plate holder, stick that with 3m tape to the front and bolt the plate to the holder, then remove it later. May be some trouble, but it better than drilling holes.
Old 08-05-03, 12:08 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Thanks.

The cop actually told me that I can just show any cop on the road that I got this tix and as long as my front plate is mounted, he or she would be able to write it off.

Arrrgh.. all these troubles. I guess cops really have nothing better to do nowadays.

Jon

they seem to be cracking down on this kinda stuff more and more in cali... its stupid really.... too bad it doesn't matter what we think .... my friend was pulled over from a stop light ... doing nothing just sitting there and the cop waved him over .... and not that this is the case every time but when he went in to pay the ticket they didn't even check. that could have been a one time only thing so im not saying try that.... there are some cool cops that don't care and will sign it off without looking also ... but it helps if you know a few ... the law says the plate must be secured to the front of the vehicle, and visible .window doesn't count ... tape isn't the best idea ... but its the cheapest.

I believe the mounting bracket for the front plate attaches under the bumper, no need to drill into .
Old 08-05-03, 05:18 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advices.

I just called the Lexus dealer today and they told me that the little cheap plastic bracket for front is going to cost me $38. And that does not even include drilling holes on my front bumper to hold the bracket in place. Forget that. I am not going to drill holes on my bumper.

I think I'll just secure it tightly with 3M double side tapes and take it off after I get this tix paid for.

One question though, do I report to the court directly to pay for the fines? Or do I need to get the tix written off by a cop (any cop on the street?) first?

This really sucks. I've been driving around in my BMW with a front "German ECC" plate on for a few years in LA and have never had to deal with this stupid problem before (knock on wood 3 times). I hate cops here.

Thanks again.

Jon

Originally posted by SDSC300
they seem to be cracking down on this kinda stuff more and more in cali... its stupid really.... too bad it doesn't matter what we think .... my friend was pulled over from a stop light ... doing nothing just sitting there and the cop waved him over .... and not that this is the case every time but when he went in to pay the ticket they didn't even check. that could have been a one time only thing so im not saying try that.... there are some cool cops that don't care and will sign it off without looking also ... but it helps if you know a few ... the law says the plate must be secured to the front of the vehicle, and visible .window doesn't count ... tape isn't the best idea ... but its the cheapest.

I believe the mounting bracket for the front plate attaches under the bumper, no need to drill into .
Old 08-05-03, 05:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

a simple solution to your problems is to get yourself some "backstrap" or "L" brackets and mount them under the front of the nose of the bumper. they will bend upwards to accept the plate's holes.

no drilling into the face of the bumper.
Old 08-05-03, 05:37 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thank you.

I just called my local dealer and they said the only thing they have is the plate holder that requires me to drill holes on my bumper.

Do you know where I can get one of these L shape thingys from?

Jon

Originally posted by onelasttry
a simple solution to your problems is to get yourself some "backstrap" or "L" brackets and mount them under the front of the nose of the bumper. they will bend upwards to accept the plate's holes.

no drilling into the face of the bumper.
Old 08-05-03, 05:58 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you.

I just called my local dealer and they said the only thing they have is the plate holder that requires me to drill holes on my bumper.

Do you know where I can get one of these L shape thingys from?

Jon
any hardware store... Home Depot comes to mind.
Old 08-05-03, 06:03 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Time to pay the good 'ole hardware store a visit.

Thanks.

Jon

Originally posted by do-luck sc
any hardware store... Home Depot comes to mind.
Old 08-05-03, 06:31 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M3,

I'm in So Cali too and I got the same ticket while parked at the local Community College. It wasn't even a real cop that ticketed me, but a rent a pig. I made my own brakets like OneLastTry mentioned and got the ticket written off a day later. Now, I drive with my License Plate on the inside of my windshield. .So far, so good(*Knocks on Wood*).
Old 08-05-03, 06:43 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks a bunch!

I think I am just going to do what you did and hopefully, I won't get into troubles like this again.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400Dude
M3,

I'm in So Cali too and I got the same ticket while parked at the local Community College. It wasn't even a real cop that ticketed me, but a rent a pig. I made my own brakets like OneLastTry mentioned and got the ticket written off a day later. Now, I drive with my License Plate on the inside of my windshield. .So far, so good(*Knocks on Wood*).
Old 08-05-03, 09:58 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Time to pay the good 'ole hardware store a visit.

Thanks.

Jon
Hey hey watch it, nowadays it's referred as HDMotorsports, you one stop store for all your DIY performance mods and accesories
The following users liked this post:
93400 (03-07-20)
Old 08-06-03, 12:09 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Skulinex
Hey hey watch it, nowadays it's referred as HDMotorsports, you one stop store for all your DIY performance mods and accesories
LoL, that's a good one!
Old 08-06-03, 12:21 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

LOL...

Well still, that place is a little too expensive for me.

So instead I went to my local Kragen's and bought myself some zip ties and tied that sucker front plate on my bumper. Then I found a cop who looked at it and signed it off without saying a word.

Jon
Old 08-06-03, 12:24 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Did you give him the "i'm not drilling into my lexus, do it to your pinto" speech?

Quick Reply: Front license plate on the SC