SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just bought a 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 10:34 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 92 SC400

I have owned a 92 LS400 for the past 2 years and recently sold it with about 225,000 Mile on it and purchased a 92 SC400 with about 90,000 Miles.

- I have a few questions about the SC hopefully someone will be able to answer or give suggestions

- The previous owner said the PW Steering fulid gets a little low about every month and he has to top it up, I have yet to have any problems, however I did have the PW pump go in my 92 LS, is this also a common issue in the SC's?

- Also the two speakers in the rear do not work at all. It's the Nakamichi system. All 4 front speakers work and the sub works fine but I can't hear anything out of the 2 rears

- The steering wheel has a slight vibration between 70-75 mph. It goes away after you hit 75, I'm thinking wheel balance?

- The tank that holds the coolant the previous owner said was recently replaced, however a very little bit of coolant seems to seep out around the seams of the tank and dry onto the tank

- The traction control off light does not come on when you turn traction control off (however trac button does work fine, traction control works, and then I turn it off and that works, just the light doesn't show up) I'm hoping this is a replacable bulb ?

- The climant control LCD is dark on one end (at night), it looks as if a bulb is out, however I hear these are hard to solder in?

Also here is a pic of the car. So far I would have to say i'm really enjoying the SC experience and it is a lot more fun to drive then the LS, although I really enjoyed the LS as well, so maybe it's just the change from Luxury Sedan to Sports coupe that I like.

Old 08-13-03, 11:40 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Just bought a 92 SC400

- The previous owner said the PW Steering fulid gets a little low about every month and he has to top it up, I have yet to have any problems, however I did have the PW pump go in my 92 LS, is this also a common issue in the SC's?

Yes for SC400

- Also the two speakers in the rear do not work at all. It's the Nakamichi system. All 4 front speakers work and the sub works fine but I can't hear anything out of the 2 rears

Check the amp or the speakers are blown?

- The steering wheel has a slight vibration between 70-75 mph. It goes away after you hit 75, I'm thinking wheel balance?

Agree wheel balance

- The tank that holds the coolant the previous owner said was recently replaced, however a very little bit of coolant seems to seep out around the seams of the tank and dry onto the tank

Do not know

- The traction control off light does not come on when you turn traction control off (however trac button does work fine, traction control works, and then I turn it off and that works, just the light doesn't show up) I'm hoping this is a replacable bulb ?

Bulb is replaceable and yes probably the bulb

- The climant control LCD is dark on one end (at night), it looks as if a bulb is out, however I hear these are hard to solder in?

Not that hard to solder if you've soldered PC boards before. Contact Onelasttry for $25 he will replace all 6 bulbs AND in different colors Ice Blue or Blood Red
Old 08-26-03, 07:10 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Well I ran another speaker and tried plugging it in on the hookups for both of the rear speakers and it works. So this would indicate to me that the two rear speakers are blown. Any suggestions on where I can get a set of Nakamichi rear speakers? What size are these speakers in a 92 SC400? or are they panasonic speakers ?
Old 08-26-03, 07:32 AM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy!

looking good!!!

Old 08-26-03, 07:58 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Hi, welcome to CL. Your concerns with the radio and other electrical goodies can be solved much faster in the electronics forum. We use forum specific area's so people may get their answers in a more detailed and quicker fashion. As always, i'll recommend using the search button incase there is something you need and we have already discussed (which is most likely the case).

As far as your car is concerned, I find myself drawn to those corvette style rims. The are unique

steering- the rack needs to be inspected.

speakers- check our classifieds in the marketplace.

tires- balance them and while your there have them inspected for out of roundness.

tank- check to see if there is a rubber seal on top of the cap on the inside.

Trac- could be in the circut of the cluster, start with a fresh bulb.

climate- is the screen black during the daytime?
Old 08-26-03, 09:06 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
Hi, welcome to CL. Your concerns with the radio and other electrical goodies can be solved much faster in the electronics forum. We use forum specific area's so people may get their answers in a more detailed and quicker fashion. As always, i'll recommend using the search button incase there is something you need and we have already discussed (which is most likely the case).

As far as your car is concerned, I find myself drawn to those corvette style rims. The are unique

steering- the rack needs to be inspected.

speakers- check our classifieds in the marketplace.

tires- balance them and while your there have them inspected for out of roundness.

tank- check to see if there is a rubber seal on top of the cap on the inside.

Trac- could be in the circut of the cluster, start with a fresh bulb.

climate- is the screen black during the daytime?

- Had the power steering checked out at the dealership and it appears to be the power steering pump, same problem I had in the LS, I will probably try a rebuilt pump.

- Climate control is not black during the day, you can read it fine during the day. In my LS I had a problem with it being black and unreadable and it was the LCD.

- Now it would appear as if my p. drivers window doesn't function. I took the door panel off and it would appear to the power window regulator so I will have to order one of those ASAP. (is this a common problem in SC400's? as I couldn't find much when performing a search function.
Old 08-26-03, 09:31 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you hit the LCD hard enough the light might come back on...Same with the gauge cluster lights...It's might worth a try...Onelasttry is a expert on this stuff, I would highly recommend you to send him your cluster and LCD for him to fix...He's a great person overall and his service is nothing but great...
Old 08-26-03, 01:29 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Gratz...

Gratz on your new toy... I bet you are getting a kick out of going from a LS to a SC Car looks real nice from the pic, also like the GS rims on the car.... Do you have any plans for the car?? Keep us updated...

Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 08-26-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 01:36 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dbullen
Well I ran another speaker and tried plugging it in on the hookups for both of the rear speakers and it works. So this would indicate to me that the two rear speakers are blown. Any suggestions on where I can get a set of Nakamichi rear speakers? What size are these speakers in a 92 SC400? or are they panasonic speakers ?
You could check out the Classifieds area of CL and see if anyone is selling anything or you could post you are looking to buy.... If you want to replace with aftermarket you could do that as well, just depends on what you want to do... The stock sizes for the SC’s are 4in all the way around but you can replace with a 5 1/4+ with some playing around with the fitting... If you want just a drop in fix when you would want 4in, if you want to play around when you can go higher.....

CL has been around alot... You could try using the search function before you ask a question and if you don't find what you need then you could post for more details....

Shawn
Old 08-26-03, 01:46 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I'm sure most would agree the first repair should be your PS pump. Fluid leaks on the alternator and ruins that too.

Nice lookin SC. Good find. Enjoy.
Old 08-27-03, 08:59 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shawn is right- there is no need to buy Nakamichi speakers to replace the ones that are blown.

You'd do as well, and save some money, to replace them with any 4", 5 1/4", or 6 1/2" speaker you like at Circuit City, Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc. You might have to drill new mounting holes and/or fabricate a new mounting panel, but as long as you don't mind doing that (or having someone else do it) you'll end up with better sound and extra cashola in your pockets. I put in 6.5" infinity 3-ways on there- they fit in the existing hole just fine, although I had to drill new mounting holes.
Old 08-28-03, 06:45 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Originally posted by Vegassc400
I'm sure most would agree the first repair should be your PS pump. Fluid leaks on the alternator and ruins that too.

Nice lookin SC. Good find. Enjoy.
Yup power steering pump will be the first to be fixed, I had the same problem on my LS, got it fixed right away and was able to save the alternator.