I did a bad, bad thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 06:43 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did a bad, bad thing

Hey guys,
I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else....
I was pulling out of a drive way, and i had it in power mode and had the overdrive and traction off, i just wanted a little wheel spin.... I got a pretty big one but the problem is after I straightened it out and it upshifted, I heard some clinking and then i looked in my mirror and i saw a small little puff of smoke and a bolt bouncing as if it came from my car. I went back and picked it up, but I haven't had any trouble at all. I drove it about 7-10 miles after that and I didn't sense any trouble or change in driving characteristics. The Bolt had a big 8 on the head of it (if it matters) and my car is an older one ('93) and has high mileage (210k).... Anyone else experience this? or maybe I should've searched the forums more...

PS - Yeah I know it was stupid, and now I feel aweful cuz I hurty ma' baby

PPS - I know i'm being really specific hear in order to diagnose the problem, but I haven't been under the car yet to look at it ( i don't have any kind of elevation device that i trust)

Last edited by Dixond; 08-14-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-14-03, 07:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

hmmmmm. is it possible you kicked up a bolt from off the road? the smoke puff could just be you upshifting.
Old 08-14-03, 08:10 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

That is what I was HOPING!!! b/c I couldn't find ANYTING else in the area, just that little bolt... well... it's not little... it's about 3 inches long, but I'm glad I at least have someone else who hopes for the best! Does anyone else not get the urge to do that though? Or is that just my youthful stupidity? Although reading these forums, seeing the horsepower numbers, and watching some of the videos from some of the meets, it looks as though I'm not the only one who puts a lot of stress on their car during a few enthusiastic jaunts.
Old 08-14-03, 08:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

i'm trying to think of what you could have done. get under the rear (you dont need to put the car in the air) and shake the exaust. see if it is loose at all.
Old 08-14-03, 08:26 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

could you maybe take a pic of the bolt, might help us diagnose.
Old 08-14-03, 08:33 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by boredguy77
could you maybe take a pic of the bolt, might help us diagnose.
Yes, and maybe take a sample of DNA to see if it matches your car. Just kidding.

Chris
Old 08-14-03, 09:39 PM
MrXerox
Rookie

I wanna see a pic of your face when the friends you were showing out for were rolling laughing as you stopped to pick up the pieces of your car! LOL
Old 08-14-03, 10:09 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Well, if it held anything important, you'll know what it is when it breaks. Probably it was just already on the road... bolts that big with numbers on their heads are usually pretty important.. just check your suspension and stuff if you're really concerned. I wouldn't be.
Old 08-15-03, 04:18 AM
hansjl
Driver

Next time, keep in the back of your mind, if you want to play, be prepared to pay.... How deep did you say your pockets were....

Good luck that the bolt was off someone else's car.....
Old 08-15-03, 05:08 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by onelasttry
hmmmmm. is it possible you kicked up a bolt from off the road? the smoke puff could just be you upshifting.
I agree w/ Brian.
Old 08-15-03, 07:04 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by hansjl
[B]Next time, keep in the back of your mind, if you want to play, be prepared to pay.... How deep did you say your pockets were....
I think that's a bit of a fragile view. I know I certainly don't check I have the equity every time I do a burnout.
Old 08-15-03, 07:21 AM
hansjl
Driver

I know I certainly don't check I have the equity every time I do a burnout.
It all depends on how often you do them.... Tires, tickets, transmissions, all have cost factors. The more you play, the more you need to be prepared to pay.

I do understand your point though...
Old 08-15-03, 07:51 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

I would still check the suspension for a missing bolt. Better safe than sorry, don`t just assume it was off of the road.
Old 08-15-03, 08:37 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dixond,
Grade 8 bolts are not usually used for exhaust systems, no reason to. They are usually grade 5 or 2. Grade 8 bolts would be used for suspension, motor/tranny mounts. If you do not have the proper lift devices to check, I suggest you bring the car to a garage and have them give the underbody a good once over. Give them the bolt as well and tell them you suspect the bolt came off the car.

Personally I feel it is highly unlikely the bolt came off the car since most grade 8 bolts are installed with a very high torque setting and would usually snap/break before it came loose. If it DID come off the car, You will have to do a thorough investigation as to WHY. Previous frame/suspension damage and/or repair of those parts.

Regards
Old 08-15-03, 11:01 AM
Dixond
Pole Position

Thanks for all the responses. I took all you guys said went to a local garage. They put it up on a hydraulic lift and looked it over. They said they couldn't find anything missing. I gave them the bolt but they still couldn't find anything wrong with it. They too thought that it could have just been kicked up by my tires. From the looks of the underside of my car... and the comparative cleanliness of the bolt... I doubt the bolt came from my car.
Thanks for the help, Peace
Dixon

Last edited by Dixond; 08-15-03 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: I did a bad, bad thing