Hmm am i doomed ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 03:14 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm am i doomed ?

So i get everything fixed up last night - get up and go to school

Backing out of the school parking lot today ... some kid ran into me... got an estimate - gunna be about 1g and because of the way our school regulates the parking lots, when an accident like this happens, both people pay for their own cars... well he gets to wipe the paint off his car, while i end up about a grand in the hole.... doesnt seem fair ?

....So much for the new wheels i wanted =\

Joey
Old 08-21-03, 03:22 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Fortunately, the schools don't regulate small claims court. As long as the accident was totally his fault and you have some witnesses you should in good shape. I think the schools don't want to get involved with ticketing people. That would prove liability. Good luck.
Old 08-21-03, 04:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

i dont care what the school says, they cannot regulate private property damage. This is based solely on the constitution which says it is illegal to make someone sign away their rights. Like signing a contract that says "i will not sue in the event of breach of contract". it is illegal to do so. Next time anything happens call the police and get a report and forget what the "made up rules" are when it comes to real life issues and big money. you are entitled to your rights and none can make you sign them away. When it comes to school, i am aware of many "rules" that stand because your on that property, however property damage does not apply due to the fact the damage does not remain on the property.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-21-03 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 05:12 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
i dont care what the school says, they cannot regulate private property damage. This is based solely on the constitution which says it is illegal to make someone sign away their rights. Like signing a contract that says "i will not sue in the event of breach of contract". it is illegal to do so. Next time anything happens call the police and get a report and forget what the "made up rules" are when it comes to real life issues and big money. you are entitled to your rights and none can make you sign them away. When it comes to school, i am aware of many "rules" that stand because your on that property, however property damage does not apply due to the fact the damage does not remain on the property.
Ill look into this - got the estimate about an hour ago before i went to do my homework - looks like they are guessing about 1400$ for all of it - i dont know if thats fair so im going to have my dad take it somewhere he knows the people ( he works for lexus of tulsa )

My dad wasnt all that mad though =\ he said, "it happens, dont worry about it, just kinda hacks you off doesnt it ? that you get the spoiler in today and you get hit.." and i was like yah well it sucks, it shouldnt have happened but i cant change it so... guess i just gotta suck it up and get along with it

Maybe ill take pictures tomorrow :O if you guys want to see the damages or whatever

Joey
Old 08-21-03, 06:12 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It used to happen to me all the time...A couple of months at a time, someone would run into me and I come back PO'ed..

Then I decided not to park anywhere except for places where no one can run into my car..People eventually stopped damaging my car.. *Knock of wood*

It's one of the downfalls of parking in a public lot..
Old 08-21-03, 06:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If homie doesn't pay up, call his insurance. If you don't have his info, call your insurance and give them his tags--they'll be glad to pass the buck if they can. Then file an SR-1 with your DMV, which legally you have to do anyway when damage exceeds $700. This puts the accident on his driver's license. You can get this guy in enough crap that he'll volunteer to have his insurance pick up the tab--or pay out of pocket.
Old 08-21-03, 06:27 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While all this is true, it sounds like you were backing up. To my understanding, whenever someone backs up, they are the one at fault. That's what I've always heard anyway.

Tim
Old 08-21-03, 06:32 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tggoodrich
While all this is true, it sounds like you were backing up. To my understanding, whenever someone backs up, they are the one at fault. That's what I've always heard anyway.

Tim
It would make more sense that the other guy is at fault. The backer-upper can have large blind spots (two vans on either side) and his exit is often slow (R-N-D). Someone could start backing out with the lane all clear, then 5 seconds later, someone turns down his lane and hits him. The other guy has more power to prevent the accident than the backer-upper. I don't know what the real deal is, but that's just what makes sense to me... I guess it would depend on the angle of impact, which would reveal a lot about who was there first.

Last edited by lex400sc; 08-21-03 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 06:37 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
It would make more sense that the other guy is at fault. The backer-upper can have large blind spots (two vans on either side) and his exit is often slow (R-N-D). Someone could start backing out with the lane all clear, then 5 seconds later, someone turns down his lane and hits him. The other guy has more power to prevent the accident than the backer-upper. I don't know what the real deal is, but that's just what makes sense to me... I guess it would depend on the angle of impact, which would reveal a lot about who was there first.
That makes sense too, but I have even heard of it where the law says it is illegal to reverse a car at all (even though everyone does it, it may be written this way to put the reverser at fault).
Like I said, I don't know for sure- just going on what I've always heard. Isn't it a little late for a police report anyway since the accident has already happened and nobody called them back then.

Joey- you're not doomed, just eperiencing the driving learning curve of a 16 year old. This is also why I'm a proponent of MANDATORY driver's ed. classes for EVERYBODY before they get a license. Of all the states I've lived in and been too, OK has to have some of the worst drivers due to the fact that they never had any proper driving lessons (no offense to you).
Old 08-21-03, 06:50 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

That makes sense too, but I have even heard of it where the law says it is illegal to reverse a car at all (even though everyone does it, it may be written this way to put the reverser at fault).
Like I said, I don't know for sure- just going on what I've always heard. Isn't it a little late for a police report anyway since the accident has already happened and nobody called them back then.

Joey- you're not doomed, just eperiencing the driving learning curve of a 16 year old. This is also why I'm a proponent of MANDATORY driver's ed. classes for EVERYBODY before they get a license. Of all the states I've lived in and been too, OK has to have some of the worst drivers due to the fact that they never had any proper driving lessons (no offense to you).
I hear you - we got some bad drivers here :O Hopefully itll all come out fine and my car will get fixed =\ on a better note - got the spoiler installed - looks amazing from the passenger side - from drivers side the back dents kinda take away from it but it still looks good
Old 08-21-03, 07:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lucia,

What school do u go to - umm lemme guess - Cascia or Bishop Kelley??

I' m in Tulsa too - glad I am not the only one!!

Peace

Jonny
Dx3
Old 08-21-03, 07:15 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LuCiA
I hear you - we got some bad drivers here :O Hopefully itll all come out fine and my car will get fixed =\ on a better note - got the spoiler installed - looks amazing from the passenger side - from drivers side the back dents kinda take away from it but it still looks good
Pics, dude, pics......

Did you decide to go with the 97+ or the older body style?
Come to think of it, I don't think you've ever posted pics of your ride joey- come on man, you're slackin here
Old 08-22-03, 03:24 AM
Joehs
Pole Position

Pics, dude, pics......

Did you decide to go with the 97+ or the older body style?
Come to think of it, I don't think you've ever posted pics of your ride joey- come on man, you're slackin here
K - ill take some pics when i get home today from school - its freaking early right now.... 5:22 on my comp clock, i have to be at school at 6:15 and this kid needs a ride so i gotta go pick her up...anyways my head is freakin killin me - so im just gunna go and take my chem test/lab and then come home at lunch and chill out tonight - i dont feel like going anywhere =\ ill get some pics up about 1-2 o clock :O

Joey
Old 08-22-03, 05:40 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Call your insurance company. MOst require you notify them w/in 72 hours of the accident or they won't cover the damages. Second, if you're confident you are not at fault- call the police. Yes, better late than never. The insurance company will need a report. The insurance company has the options of making a claim against the other parties ins company for cost recovery, or they will get it from the school (I don't care what the school says, the owner of the property at which the accident occured is also liable - at least in Florida). So have that looked into. Or you ins. will cover it, but you have to pay your deductable.

Option #2- like vegassc400 said- Small claims baby-

As far a fault goes, it depends on the situation- Thats why calling the police is always a good idea, they will determine who's at fault, and then its up to the insurance companies to fix the cars.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-03, 08:35 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
The backer-upper always at fault even the other guy was driving faster than the speed limit of the parking lot. You can tell how fast he was driving from the damages. That's why I am very careful when backing out of a parking space.
I think it will be a waste of time and money to fight this. Pay the $1K to fixed it and be done with it. It a lesson learn. I seen this more than once and Was one of the passenger in one, the driver back out very slowly, watch for car cafefully but out of nowhere a car flying thought the lane after he made a turn into our lane. We got a F*&^.

Quick Reply: Hmm am i doomed ?