Amazing Soarer...need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 07:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by NRG
yep, that car is rice to the max.
if he removes the hood, eye lid, mirror, and wing, it would look clean.
Err... sorry to burst your bubble, but would you call having about 430rwkw (576rwhp) RICE? Don't think so

I witnessed it pull that figure on the dyno here in Australia... and when I saw it it didn't have the wing anymore.

Last edited by BLK13X; 08-22-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 09:56 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are just haters. I think the car looks outstanding and the GT wing definitely serves its purpose.
Old 08-22-03, 10:12 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i agree with Chrono on this one...it looks good with the wing...partly cause it seems to go with that body kit...and i dont like wings like that but in this case it looks good.

CEO
Old 08-22-03, 10:26 PM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if alot of you dont like the hood, what would be a better solution? Nothing, or something i have not seen yet. Thanks for the responses, it helped change my mind alot. But i would like to see some of the "bad ***" 300's and Soarers that you guys think are better looking than this one. Thanks again
Old 08-22-03, 10:53 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

i think the look is ok. i woulda gotten a CF wing from C-west sorta like Ueno's soarer has.

i do like this hood though.
Attached Thumbnails Amazing Soarer...need some answers-ventedhood.jpg  
Old 08-22-03, 10:54 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

I have a magazine article on that car.

The kit is listed as Barra Mundy, as are the mirrors.

The wing is functional as the car sees track days around the Phillip Island GP track. The hood vents are functional.

The pins are necessary if the hood is custom. Though the pins and wing are not to my taste, the vents aren't bad and the kit is quite nice.

The car puts out 580rwhp on only 17.5 psi.
Old 08-22-03, 11:02 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

i thought it was a vertex kit? ah well.
Old 08-22-03, 11:19 PM
Dominik
Driver

Definitely a vertex (or vertex copy). The Barra kit looks nothing like that...

Oh, and i believe the hood/wing are actually done for a reason (so that the engine gets better cooling, and so that the back end doesnt lose traction at 270+km/hr on the race track)

570hp on mild boost? That doesnt sound very ricey to me?
Old 08-23-03, 01:41 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

IMO just because it has xxx amount of horsepower it doesn't make it not ugly.

-Ethan
Old 08-23-03, 02:23 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
Err... sorry to burst your bubble, but would you call having about 430rwkw (576rwhp) RICE? Don't think so

I witnessed it pull that figure on the dyno here in Australia... and when I saw it it didn't have the wing anymore.
Rice is looks.
i never said anything about the power..
I know a few friends with some ricey cars, and they have the power to back it up.
380whp on a gsr
Old 08-23-03, 03:09 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by Dominik
Definitely a vertex (or vertex copy). The Barra kit looks nothing like that...

Oh, and i believe the hood/wing are actually done for a reason (so that the engine gets better cooling, and so that the back end doesnt lose traction at 270+km/hr on the race track)

570hp on mild boost? That doesnt sound very ricey to me?
Yeah looks like a Vertex to me too.. but the mag says "Its origins were shrouded in mystery, until a painstaking search through Japanese catalogues identified the swoopy fiberglass nose and skirts to be a product of - don't laugh - Barra Mundy, a bodykit manufacturing company from the outskirts of Tokyo". Karl imports cars from Japan for a living.. so I trust his opinion over mine. Maybe Barra make more than 1 kit.

What I have noticed now though, looking at the Melbourne Dyno Day results, is that Karl's car is doing 428rwkw at 23psi, not the earlier claimed 17.5.......
Old 08-23-03, 04:16 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by NRG
Rice is looks.
i never said anything about the power..
I know a few friends with some ricey cars, and they have the power to back it up.
380whp on a gsr
Fair enough I thought you referring to the "RICE = Looks fast but no go" methodology of that term... it's all good...

But yeah I witnessed the thing pull about 576rwhp, but I recall it wasn't fully tuned at that state. And for people that don't like the wing, well he didn't have it on when I last saw it... but it looks beautiful when you get to actually see it...
Old 08-23-03, 08:45 AM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

So do most of you think i should get the hood, a different hood, or leave it stock? Yes...I admit that the hood looks like the vents were glued on, but its still pretty interesting. I need to have the most amazing 300 in St. Louis, plus keep up with my buddies and their Twin turbo Supras. I feel you guys are really sending me on the right track. thanks
Old 08-23-03, 10:21 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

I would only ever change the hood if heat becomes a problem.

Having a gaping hole in your hood allows rain, leaves and all sorts of other crap to fall into your engine bay. Also, the intake for your AC is right in front of the windscreen, and now you will smell whatever the hot air coming out of the engine has to offer.

Ethan, out of interest, how does the temperature run in your car? I know a lot of Viper drivers like to cut open the little "speaker grills" in front of their windshield.. they say it lowers engine temp substantially and they can see the heat rising out of it at the stop lights. Just wondering if a high performance Toyota could need more ventilation - it gets real hot down here in summer.
Attached Thumbnails Amazing Soarer...need some answers-rt1015.jpg  
Old 08-23-03, 12:09 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Fred Smith

Ethan, out of interest, how does the temperature run in your car? I know a lot of Viper drivers like to cut open the little "speaker grills" in front of their windshield.. they say it lowers engine temp substantially and they can see the heat rising out of it at the stop lights. Just wondering if a high performance Toyota could need more ventilation - it gets real hot down here in summer.
My car temp has never risen over 203 in any of my datalogs.. There is no reason for any of that on our cars. Additionally, I run a stock radiator and fan.

-Ethan

Quick Reply: Amazing Soarer...need some answers