PICS from HAWAII car show

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 07:56 PM
jdmsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

Originally posted by kaotiq
Your car looks great!! *sigh* the AC kit, too bad i had to sell mine... but i hope you know that in order to win at car shows you need everything.

You cannot rely on exterior alone (even tho you covered it well), you need full engine and interior mods, full system, brakes, complete suspension, and some customized items. You need all those things in order to be considered in the winners bracket.

But dont worry, you will win soon enough. Keep at it my friend!
Kaotic,

thanks for the compliment. I didnt expect to get 1st but i thought at least third in something. If u checked my sig you would see that i do have some of the things u mentioned. I have custom inyake , strut bar, full stereo system, slotted rotors with carbon fiber pads, full TEIN flex suspension and yes "silverbolt" i did custom my own tail lights and i didnt put extra plastic inside. A bunch of my stuff is custom , if u look up my pics u can find a pic of my custom intake, stereo install, and black housing headlights or high beams.

Thanks everyone for all the support
Old 08-26-03, 07:01 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ..

Originally posted by jdmsoarer
Kaotic,

thanks for the compliment. I didnt expect to get 1st but i thought at least third in something. If u checked my sig you would see that i do have some of the things u mentioned. I have custom inyake , strut bar, full stereo system, slotted rotors with carbon fiber pads, full TEIN flex suspension and yes "silverbolt" i did custom my own tail lights and i didnt put extra plastic inside. A bunch of my stuff is custom , if u look up my pics u can find a pic of my custom intake, stereo install, and black housing headlights or high beams.

Thanks everyone for all the support
From what you said, *please dont get me wrong here* you need just a lil bit more to win. You have a great start with the exterior. I love the exterior A LOT!!

I have been competing and judging import car shows for years now, if you want... i can give you a heads up on what to do and maybe change if you are really into competing? i will be more than glad to help you out with some pointers
Old 08-26-03, 03:24 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default I agree...

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
DOn't worry you're a winner here... looks beautiful!!!
I am with Soarer_25GTT, you may have not won at the show, but its a winner here on CL

Keep up the good work, I love your car....
Shawn
Old 08-26-03, 04:58 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have been competing and judging import car shows for years now, if you want... i can give you a heads up on what to do and maybe change if you are really into competing? i will be more than glad to help you out with some pointers
kaotiq, that would be nice if you can share some pointers, i too will be hitting the shows soon, just have to save some money and do a little more.....
Old 08-27-03, 06:52 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default I would like to know...

Originally posted by llmidnitellsc40
kaotiq, that would be nice if you can share some pointers, i too will be hitting the shows soon, just have to save some money and do a little more.....
I am with llmidnitellsc40, I would like to be in shows in the future after I get some things completed on my car, I will take any pointers you have for us

Shawn
Old 08-27-03, 07:01 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by llmidnitellsc40
Of course! more than glad to help out. If you want hands on advice, you can catch me at this weekends shows (Hot Import Nights and D1 Grand Prix).

But here are some quick pointers:

1) the car is like a book. We do actually judge the book by its cover. If the exterior is not looking good at all. Kiss your chances of winning or even being noticed goodbye. Clean exterior is the key, meaning matching rims to extended fenders, stream lined flowing body kit. Ask yourself this: does the bodykit look out of place on the car? of course no to yourself, but to a judge it might be. Luxury cars should have clean looking kits nothing ricey at all.

2) the interior of the car has to be fully redone to even get good points. YOu need to redo the entire interior meaning the headliner, visors, door panels, dash, seats, carpet for sure if you want points. Matching colors, custom material (suede, carbon fiber, treated leather). Racing Seats are a must usually depending on the car. (good brands only Bride, Recaro, Sparco are standards for show winning cars). Electronics that are mounted in a flush type fashion always get good points. Ask yourself this: Does my interior make ppl say "wow that is very nice!" ? Think of how a judge wants to see your car. Does the color of your interior match the overall theme of your exterior or car in general?

3) wheels say it all. Size and offset of the wheel is a HUGE HUGE thing. If you drive a nice clean mercedes but you have a set of konig wheels on there, that kills it. Same goes with our SC's. High quality wheels = lots of brownie points. BUT also make sure that your wheels are clean inside out during show. When we judge, we put our fingers on the inside of the rim to check for dirt. So recommendations of rims would be anything 18"-20" with a nice deep dish or staggered offsets would be very nice.

4) Stereo, custom trunk is a must!! All show cars have nice custom systems. The standard nowadays is a flushed system with some colored accents on it meaning matching to your interior. Try to stay away from carpeting on your system. ITS UGLY. Fiberglassing or MDF wood, whatever it takes to get your trunk eye catching. Try to have your system painted or rewrapped in some way. If you just have a simple box flushed in with an amp lying around, dont count on getting points more than 3/10. Having TV screens are a must also. No TV's = low points. For example: this is my system on my accord...
everyone has something like this nowadays.

5) engine is one of the huge chunks on a point scale. YOu need to have all the performance parts possible. Turbo, motorswaps, supercharging, is a must. Everyone is going turbo now. So how do you get above them? By customizing the engine bay along with the turbo. Polish as many parts as possible. Change all your hoses to a matching color to go with a color theme. Powdercoating, polishing, chrome pieces = lots of points. ALso the parts that you choose are important. Do you have tenzo, apc parts? or do you have HKS, GReddy, Blitz parts. THAT makes a HUGE difference.

6) Suspension. Do you have full coilovers? at least shocks and springs the very least? Do you have the basic strut bar? You need to have something that noone has. Everyone and their mom in the show scene thinks that they can get away with just eibach springs. Thats a no no. You need something like Tein AT LEAST. Tein, JIC, Ohlins, HKS, Tanabe Sustecs. Those get you the points. Is your suspension painted? powdercoated? polished? chromed? if so, then show it off!!! thats MAJOR points

7) Brakes. Brembos, Endless, Alcon, Rotora. You get the picture. You need big brakes. At least get crossdrilled slotted rotors.

8) overall display of the vehicle. How do you display your car at the show? do you use carpeting? do you take your wheels off to showoff your suspension. A crappy civic just parked at a show venue is just another crappy civic. HOWEVER, if the same crappy civic has his car tilted on jack stands, 2 wheels off, and carpeting with rope light all over. THats a crappy civic with a super nice display. Basically im not going to lie. Cars that just park usually get a 5/20. In order to be considered in the winners bracket you need to get 13/20 of the display points to have the judges at the end discuss whose going to win. At the end of any show, the judges have this HUGE stack of judging sheets. They throw the ones with below 13/20 display points out. So which pile do you want to be in?

9) explain your car to the judge when he comes by. Talk to him. He's a stranger and does not know your car so you should explain why you modded this and that. Dont kiss *** but talk to him like another car enthusiast checking out your car. Be nice.

10) HAVE FUN. its a car show, and dont get too competitive... it will just tear a hole in you. Just have fun with your friends and make sure that if you dont win, theres always another day.

Last edited by kaotiq; 08-27-03 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 07:47 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default SWEET !!!

Originally posted by kaotiq
Of course! more than glad to help out. If you want hands on advice, you can catch me at this weekends shows (Hot Import Nights and D1 Grand Prix).

But here are some quick pointers:

1) the car is like a book. We do actually judge the book by its cover. If the exterior is not looking good at all. Kiss your chances of winning or even being noticed goodbye. Clean exterior is the key, meaning matching rims to extended fenders, stream lined flowing body kit. Ask yourself this: does the bodykit look out of place on the car? of course no to yourself, but to a judge it might be. Luxury cars should have clean looking kits nothing ricey at all.

2) the interior of the car has to be fully redone to even get good points. YOu need to redo the entire interior meaning the headliner, visors, door panels, dash, seats, carpet for sure if you want points. Matching colors, custom material (suede, carbon fiber, treated leather). Racing Seats are a must usually depending on the car. (good brands only Bride, Recaro, Sparco are standards for show winning cars). Electronics that are mounted in a flush type fashion always get good points. Ask yourself this: Does my interior make ppl say "wow that is very nice!" ? Think of how a judge wants to see your car. Does the color of your interior match the overall theme of your exterior or car in general?

3) wheels say it all. Size and offset of the wheel is a HUGE HUGE thing. If you drive a nice clean mercedes but you have a set of konig wheels on there, that kills it. Same goes with our SC's. High quality wheels = lots of brownie points. BUT also make sure that your wheels are clean inside out during show. When we judge, we put our fingers on the inside of the rim to check for dirt. So recommendations of rims would be anything 18"-20" with a nice deep dish or staggered offsets would be very nice.

4) Stereo, custom trunk is a must!! All show cars have nice custom systems. The standard nowadays is a flushed system with some colored accents on it meaning matching to your interior. Try to stay away from carpeting on your system. ITS UGLY. Fiberglassing or MDF wood, whatever it takes to get your trunk eye catching. Try to have your system painted or rewrapped in some way. If you just have a simple box flushed in with an amp lying around, dont count on getting points more than 3/10. Having TV screens are a must also. No TV's = low points. For example: this is my system on my accord...
everyone has something like this nowadays.

5) engine is one of the huge chunks on a point scale. YOu need to have all the performance parts possible. Turbo, motorswaps, supercharging, is a must. Everyone is going turbo now. So how do you get above them? By customizing the engine bay along with the turbo. Polish as many parts as possible. Change all your hoses to a matching color to go with a color theme. Powdercoating, polishing, chrome pieces = lots of points. ALso the parts that you choose are important. Do you have tenzo, apc parts? or do you have HKS, GReddy, Blitz parts. THAT makes a HUGE difference.

6) Suspension. Do you have full coilovers? at least shocks and springs the very least? Do you have the basic strut bar? You need to have something that noone has. Everyone and their mom in the show scene thinks that they can get away with just eibach springs. Thats a no no. You need something like Tein AT LEAST. Tein, JIC, Ohlins, HKS, Tanabe Sustecs. Those get you the points. Is your suspension painted? powdercoated? polished? chromed? if so, then show it off!!! thats MAJOR points

7) Brakes. Brembos, Endless, Alcon, Rotora. You get the picture. You need big brakes. At least get crossdrilled slotted rotors.

8) overall display of the vehicle. How do you display your car at the show? do you use carpeting? do you take your wheels off to showoff your suspension. A crappy civic just parked at a show venue is just another crappy civic. HOWEVER, if the same crappy civic has his car tilted on jack stands, 2 wheels off, and carpeting with rope light all over. THats a crappy civic with a super nice display. Basically im not going to lie. Cars that just park usually get a 5/20. In order to be considered in the winners bracket you need to get 13/20 of the display points to have the judges at the end discuss whose going to win. At the end of any show, the judges have this HUGE stack of judging sheets. They throw the ones with below 13/20 display points out. So which pile do you want to be in?

9) explain your car to the judge when he comes by. Talk to him. He's a stranger and does not know your car so you should explain why you modded this and that. Dont kiss *** but talk to him like another car enthusiast checking out your car. Be nice.

10) HAVE FUN. its a car show, and dont get too competitive... it will just tear a hole in you. Just have fun with your friends and make sure that if you dont win, theres always another day.
Well thanks for all your time and help, gives me some things to look at before I go into some shows.... Does anyone else have anything to add... DIN ?? Are you around LOL you have anything to add ???

Shawn
Old 08-27-03, 12:16 PM
stuart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black housing headlights

how did you do the black housing on your headlights e-mail me at lilstu89@aol.com about how to do it and if i can't ill pay you to do it. those are bad!