SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A Good Museum To Donate My Car To!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 05:24 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy another SC, switch vins and burn it!! Keep the soarer, lol.
Old 08-27-03, 07:01 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ROFL

Originally posted by bmsport
That could work until he is pulled over and he is found sitting on the right side driving and then they run his VIN and they find he is suppose to be on the opposite side, I wonder what he would do then LOL... Also there are many VIN's on a car and he could miss one

Good thought tho...
Shawn
Old 08-27-03, 10:11 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bmsport
Would be the easy way until caught. Highly illegal. I'm afraid the best we can hope for is some parts swapping from the Soarer to a comparable SC4. It looks like the DOT ***** will not go for the RHD. Congress is heavily lobbied by the domestic automakers, and a lot of red tape and protective laws and tariffs have been set in place to discourage importing as a result. Fear tends to build walls, not bridges. We can thank the likes of Ford and GM that we do not have all the auto choices that we could. As a result, we are prevented from having some of the best rides in the world.
Old 08-27-03, 11:06 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tggoodrich
Basically he is having troubles with the DOT. They claim that they don't know how crash worthy it is since its RHD. Therefore, he could only keep it one year before he has to send it back or they crush it.
There, saved you some typing BAZ
Im sorry, but that is false.
RHD or LHD are all the same.
If the same car, USDM LHD has already been crash tested, it would also apply for the RHD japanese version.
You're going to tell me by the way you sit in the car and drive it, will change the results of the crash test?
Both of the same car are made the same.
Want to know why DOT *****es about imported cars? its not because its RHD, (wish people knew about that more) its because of the safty regulation that the the U.S. has on their car.
Side door impact beams, DOT aprovel glass. DOT airbag system, Emission, etc.
I still dont know why people get that idea, because its rhd, its not safe. :P
just think about it this way, you got a pasanger in your car right? Sits on the right side of the car, because its a LHD car. wouldn't that person have the same effect if the car was RHD?
That person is sitting in the same position as if they were driving a rhd car. just not holding the wheel, or steping on peddles.

They only do crash test on cars that were never made in the U.S. ie: nissan skyline. Motorex had to crash test like 10-20 of them, to get the legal right to sell them legally. Now if they made skyline here, that wouldnt be a problem.
That is why i see so many RHD cars being driving around here. Most are driving illegaly, by: vin swaping, etc.
Arizona is the easiest to register a rhd, because they dont give a ****. i think i see more rhd out there then in cali.

if i were you, i would go get a list of safety issues that are needed to register a imported cars.
and change everything you need. swap to usdm doors, glass, exhaust, ABS, SRS, etc.
then go to a state ref and get it checked.

Last edited by NRG; 08-27-03 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:08 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Arizona is the easiest to register a rhd, because they dont give a ****. i think i see more rhd out there then in cali.
Why not "sell" it to someone in Arizona, have them register it and then sell it back to you in Tx where you will have a US title and registration to transfer over.
Old 08-27-03, 12:58 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Install a steering wheel on the left side, too, and put a "student driver" sign on top.
Old 08-27-03, 02:28 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

BTW The picture of the Blue Soarer 4.0 GT IS BAZ and his wife. Its like the 3rd post.
Old 08-27-03, 03:58 PM
JSnake916
Driver

Go read about how to import and legalize a vehicle on the skyline boards on freshalloy.com. Its not as easy as most people make it out to be. You will think twice after seeing what all is involved. There might be less BS for the soarer/SC cuz it was actually sold here in one form...but its still very time consuming and costly.
Old 08-27-03, 08:18 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Hi Guys....It's the wife..Dianna. I'll tell you what the deal is...
It's Customs..they won't let us keep the car, or sell the car and they will come knocking at our door when the time is up! If we don't SHIP that car back, they will fine us $45K, take the car away and probably crush or some lucky ba$tard customs agent will be driving it! Does anyone know any of these customs agents?? Wouldn't it be nice if the file was just mysteriously deleted from their computer?? And yes NRG, that's us in that photo. It's not a GT, it's a 4 liter limited air suspension.....much better than a GT...LOL!
What sight did you find that picture on??? We had just returned some videos very late that night and saw some action at the famous KeDavi coffee shop. Decided to swing in and check it out....Had only pulled into the parking lot when the papparazzi swarmed the car and shoved the video camera in through the window! And off we went They took a load of snaps, are there any others....I really would like to know cuz I was in my PJ's!!
Old 08-27-03, 08:23 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Hey SCLEX...What do you mean by "3rd post"?
And Rushgator....you're exactly right....We have a government for the companies, but not a government for the people!!! I can't understand why I can't keep it....I AM American and I VOTE!
Old 08-27-03, 10:32 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Sounds like a raw deal from any angle, good luck bud!
Old 09-04-03, 12:45 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Thanx for your input guy's,im still trying other routes right now,so i will keep you posted! [british consulate etc]
There are a number of soarer's here in the us,but the few who have done it are not speaking!
I cannot sell the car because the custom's broker/shipping agent made me sign an affidvit before it was shipped here! not that i want to sell it!
My status changed when i decided to get married to an american girl ive know for the last four years,and stay here.So i can't do anything stupid as i am goin through the immigration crap right now[upto 3rs] so i have 3 clouds hangin over ma head! car/not allowed to work and ins!
I was hoping someone might know locally a museum[dallas] to keep my car near by!! but no takers.
NRG i agree with your previous comments,but try telling the DOT! by the way do you have any more photo's or can u give me the sight?
The car does have side impact bars/toyota glass/1uzfe engine same as US! WOTS the crap all about?
Does any one know the filing proceedure for kit/show etc?
If the car was registerd,then shipped out could i bring it back in???

more questions later!
Old 09-04-03, 12:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

if you were a terrorist, they'd give you a permenant visa, get you set up on goverment assistance, and teach you how to fly The system is so screwed.
Old 09-04-03, 12:54 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Ask a local lexus dealer to put the car in their display for a show car.
Old 09-04-03, 12:57 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by onelasttry
if you were a terrorist, they'd give you a permenant visa, get you set up on goverment assistance, and teach you how to fly The system is so screwed.
Very true....and sad

It's tough to get any government assistance, leiniancy, etc. for a law abiding caucasian.

Quick Reply: A Good Museum To Donate My Car To!