SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Took Apart 94' Stock Nakamichi Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 10:44 AM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Took Apart 94' Stock Nakamichi Amp

Took apart the stock amp from my SC4. It was amazing to see the inside as this was my first time. I was told that the amp was pretty high end for it's time. Unfortunately several of the transistors are shorted or whatever so it blows the radio fuse... I have a replacement from eBay on it's way hopefully it works

Old 03-30-20, 06:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

I guess it’s always new to someone. Just an old stock 5 channel amp. Subaru got McIntosh, bastages.
The following users liked this post:
Slackful (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 08:22 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Lovely looking circuits on those boards : )

Nakamichi used to be so good, from the optional system in the SC's and LS's to their 70's/80's/90's home stereo tape decks and CD players and finally their late 90's/early-00's car CD players in the CD400, CD500, CD700-II and "MB-IV" I think it was called. They were at the time the SC/Soarer Z30's introduction one of the best. Sadly those days are long gone and anything new with the Nakamichi name is little more than junk today.

Only the vintage Nak stuff carries the reputation they were known for. Supposedly it was the rise of digital sampling that eventually did the company in. Their expertise was in fine tuning the very best sound for analog sources and playback (such as with cassettes and records) but while their late 90's-early 2000's offerings were very high quality as before they just were not as unique as they once used to be with other companies surpassing them with their own takes on digital sound processing and playback.

O.L.T., McIntosh still retains their original company structure and leadership today, do they not? Even if they no longer produce aftermarket car audio (that one in-dash CD player of theirs was amazing... although you couldn't fast forward through tracks!) they still produce very high end home stereo equipment today, especially tube-based preamplifiers. I've had the impression that they're still respected in the new home audiophile equipment market.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-30-20 at 08:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
LEXXIUM (04-11-20), Slackful (03-30-20)
Old 03-30-20, 10:21 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Lovely looking circuits on those boards : )

Nakamichi used to be so good, from the optional system in the SC's and LS's to their 70's/80's/90's home stereo tape decks and CD players and finally their late 90's/early-00's car CD players in the CD400, CD500, CD700-II and "MB-IV" I think it was called. They were at the time the SC/Soarer Z30's introduction one of the best. Sadly those days are long gone and anything new with the Nakamichi name is little more than junk today.

Only the vintage Nak stuff carries the reputation they were known for. Supposedly it was the rise of digital sampling that eventually did the company in. Their expertise was in fine tuning the very best sound for analog sources and playback (such as with cassettes and records) but while their late 90's-early 2000's offerings were very high quality as before they just were not as unique as they once used to be with other companies surpassing them with their own takes on digital sound processing and playback.

O.L.T., McIntosh still retains their original company structure and leadership today, do they not? Even if they no longer produce aftermarket car audio (that one in-dash CD player of theirs was amazing... although you couldn't fast forward through tracks!) they still produce very high end home stereo equipment today, especially tube-based preamplifiers. I've had the impression that they're still respected in the new home audiophile equipment market.
Wow, thanks for the information! I love hearing small history/background about things like this.

So from O.L.T.s post I'm assuming McIntosh was a tier higher than Nak?
Old 03-31-20, 12:35 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Slackful
Wow, thanks for the information! I love hearing small history/background about things like this.

So from O.L.T.s post I'm assuming McIntosh was a tier higher than Nak?
O.L.T. can offer his opinion on that as I'm sure his knowledge about both companies surpasses mine.

I'm not so well versed in high end home audio gear to have a definitive opinion on that based on knowing one circuitry design vs another but both were very high end brands at the same time. Nakamichi used to have VERY high build quality and was one of the best in the business in the mostly analog era. McIntosh's products overlapped with Nakamichi's somewhat but they had and still continue to have high end audiophile offerings that Nakamichi didn't necessarily focus on.

Today the old Nakamichi is gone other than the name (the founder's brother started up another company after it was sold off in hopes he could continue the tradition of high quality home audio products but it didn't last long. The products were good but it just didn't live long as a business) but McIntosh is still a niche audiophile company whose products you'll spend thousands on each.

In McIntosh's case they have remained focused on the audio processing end with what they offer today however they do continue to offer their own design A/V receivers, preamps, CD players, LP turntables and even one 4K Bluray player. They've all got the signature McIntosh visual style and a price to match. If Subaru had them agree to exclusively supply their high end car audio offerings that would explain why their in-dash 1-DIN CD player from 15-20 years ago has never been succeeded in the product catalog.

Basically if you have the money to spend and are a big time audiophile their stuff is pretty awesome. McIntosh Labs is their full company name.

And they're far from the only such niche expensive audiophile equipment maker still operating today. They're just one of the most well known with a great reputation.

Again, if not for how Nakamichi didn't keep up once the digital audio era began (yes, CD's are digital audio but I mean digital online music, streaming, MP3's and post-MP3 digital audio formats on general storage media) we might still be talking about them in the same league today. Alas their greatness was in the era before everything save LP's went digital-- when you really did have to be a wizard to create an amazing 1/4" reel to reel home audio playback machine that wasn't a Studer or a if you wanted the very best audio cassette playback deck possible.

Vintage Nakamichi home audio equipment, depending on the model, is still sought after by collectors and enthusiasts of old audio format media who like building classic systems.

The current day high end new audiophile stuff though commands a different price and clientele. But people really into that hobby do plenty of mixing and matching too depending on what they want or prefer.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-31-20 at 12:45 AM.
Slackful (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 09:49 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Nak were great, until they started cutting costs and offering low budget options. McIntosh never did that. They are a top tier. Burr-Brown processors are in ALL McIntosh. The same cannot be said for any Nak other than the old generation. I developed an auxiliary output for the factory Subaru McIntosh so they could run RCA’s by tapping the output section before the final stage (amplified) and have converted a few Subaru heads (din only output) that are supposed to only work with their amps.

So, that puts you in a McIntosh head for sub-$200. There is a minidisc version and a tape version. Both have CD.

The following 2 users liked this post by O. L. T.:
KahnBB6 (03-31-20), Slackful (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 02:10 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

O.L.T., thanks for sharing that! I figured you might have had quite a lot of in depth experience with their products. Did Subaru USA models ever get factory McIntosh head unit options or were these a JDM only offering? I know of McIntosh's couple of aftermarket head units that were offered in the U.S. but I think these were not produced much after 2000 or so.
Slackful (04-01-20)
Old 03-31-20, 07:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Japanese, UK, Australian, for sure. Not certain of all markets. Some are on the frequency band for the radios and can be used here, many are not.
KahnBB6 (03-31-20), Slackful (04-01-20)
Old 03-31-20, 07:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Mcintosh with aux mod in an is300

up close

KahnBB6 (03-31-20), Slackful (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 09:13 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Mcintosh with aux mod in an is300

https://youtu.be/a1o4kKCjFr8

up close

https://youtu.be/J50wCmj-PJ4
Wow sounds great
Old 04-03-20, 12:55 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Sorry to addon to this thread, but initially I bought an stock replacement amp from eBay and I havent been sent a tracking number after several days.

In preparation if the seller flakes, I'll either be replacing the shorted transistors on my original amp or getting a aftermarket amp.

The question is just which aftermarket HU would be capable of be compatible with the stock wiring and connectors? Any ideas. Also when I initially bought the used amp it said Est. delivery APR 4th. So I think Saturday is gonna be the day I decide to move on to my next solution.

Thanks
Old 04-04-20, 08:02 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Nowadays, you have to consider that the seller is perhaps in the hospital... Just because something is up for sale on eBay, doesn't mean it was listed recently.

You'll want to get the Metra harness for converting the head unit connector to pigtail wiring that can be spliced to your aftermarket HU's inputs. No aftermarket unit will accept the stock connector directly.
Slackful (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 10:07 AM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by t2d2
Nowadays, you have to consider that the seller is perhaps in the hospital... Just because something is up for sale on eBay, doesn't mean it was listed recently.

You'll want to get the Metra harness for converting the head unit connector to pigtail wiring that can be spliced to your aftermarket HU's inputs. No aftermarket unit will accept the stock connector directly.
Thank you for the reply, but just to clear some things up my aftermarket headunit already connects to the factory wiring with a harness provided by Crutchfields, which also provides it power. My issue is getting the signal/sound from the speakers (no sound at all). My best guess it just needs a working amp.

Since the stock amp is blown, and new stock amp 'coming' is a possible flake. Im also sure it wont be direct plug and play as far as aftermarket amps go. I'll need to figure out the basics as to how I will wire this new aftermarket amp to give sound to my speakers.

Last edited by Slackful; 04-04-20 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-04-20, 06:34 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

UPDATE:

I figured out a new plan, I'm so insecure as when it comes to wiring I feel like a nuisance to everytime I ask help from someone about it (and ask them again because what they said flew over my head). I finally got something figured out. AS WELL AS A STAGE 2 PLAN WHEN I DECIDE ON UPGRADING.

So I'm pretty much sticking with the aftermarket HU as of now and using its internal amplifier. Power harness that's connected to the HU comes with factory speaker wires alongside the power wires. They are just snipped at the moment. Grabbing a 9wire, and wiring one side to the power harness, and routing the other end to the the rear and making connections with the stock amps output harness which leads to the speakers. Boom. Sound

Stage 2 just consists of inserting an aftermarket amp by using the pre outs ports and existing wiring.

oh how I love learning.....slowly

Old 04-05-20, 07:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Slackful
Thank you for the reply, but just to clear some things up my aftermarket headunit already connects to the factory wiring with a harness provided by Crutchfields, which also provides it power.
That's most likely the Metra harness.

Quick Reply: Took Apart 94' Stock Nakamichi Amp