Recommended racing seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 11:30 AM
Dustin1992
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommended racing seat

Hello folks,

So, I purchased a 1992 sc300 a number of months back and the car has just been sitting. I had originally planned on doing a, "ls swap," but, due to personal reasons I cant register it and drive it right now so...I have a good buddy trying to talk me into getting the car ready for the skid pad that is at our localish dragstrip. The car is an auto but, I am not super worried about that just yet. I bought a new ecu for it because the car did have a misfire and I also bought a used rear diff and welded up the gears in it. I am thinking that the last important thing before I actually go out to get a feel for the car is, a racing seat. There are quite a few different ones out there and I am curious if anybody has any recommendations and tips or tricks. I am not really trying to spend $800 on one either. I hope I can get some help on this topic here.

Thank you,
-Dustin
Old 06-19-20, 09:46 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Go to your local skidpad and look at the seats people are using. Look at the brands. Your local event will have some basic safety rules, so find out what they are. Some drift events require OEM or FIA rated aftermarket seats. Others can be really lax and you can use basically anything.
Price does not indicate safety level. You mentioned you don't want to pay more than 800 which is a good budget to have because at that price you could get a brand new FIA rated Bride Japan bucket.
You will want a bucket seat. Everyone who drifts and tracks their cars recommends a bucket over a reclinable 100% of the time. Reclining are nice and better than our 25+ year old oem seats but are nowhere near as cozy as a fixed back seat, especially for drifting.

Before you buy a seat:
Get a feel for the car now. Before you even buy a seat. The stock seats aren't the greatest, trust me I know, but you need to take the car out a couple times as is. This is the best time to do it, when the car is as stock as possible, and things are least likely to be complicated if things do break.

The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (07-29-20)
Old 06-21-20, 03:48 PM
Dustin1992
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You really think I should leave the stock one in for a little bit??? I bought the car with a few issues and I have fixed most of them. I do, however, have a used diff that I welded the gears up on and that is the last thing I need to do. I changed the ecu and fixed the window regulators. I think I might make it to the skid pad this week? The next issue is the car is an auto but, I was told some guys do use the auto trans and that if I put it in 2nd gear I will have fun. Any knowledge of that? LOL.
Old 07-11-20, 09:03 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

If the seat works as a seat, there's no need to replace it unless it's something holding you back from reaching your full potential.

You can drift the auto. Just make sure to watch the fluid color and don't let the motor get too hot. Installing a trans cooler inline with the oem radiator color is a great way to keep the trans cooler that it is stock. It'll also prolong the life of the fluid. If the fluid goes from red to brown or black, stop drifting and change the ATF fluid when you get home. The trans will destroy itself once the fluid loses its ability to protect the internals
Old 07-23-20, 10:45 AM
Accord-R
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm looking at the Corbeaus. They can be had for like $850 a pair and they make SC300 seat brackets.
Old 07-24-20, 02:43 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Go to your local skidpad and look at the seats people are using. Look at the brands. Your local event will have some basic safety rules, so find out what they are. Some drift events require OEM or FIA rated aftermarket seats. Others can be really lax and you can use basically anything.
Price does not indicate safety level. You mentioned you don't want to pay more than 800 which is a good budget to have because at that price you could get a brand new FIA rated Bride Japan bucket.
You will want a bucket seat. Everyone who drifts and tracks their cars recommends a bucket over a reclinable 100% of the time. Reclining are nice and better than our 25+ year old oem seats but are nowhere near as cozy as a fixed back seat, especially for drifting.

Before you buy a seat:
Get a feel for the car now. Before you even buy a seat. The stock seats aren't the greatest, trust me I know, but you need to take the car out a couple times as is. This is the best time to do it, when the car is as stock as possible, and things are least likely to be complicated if things do break.
i haven't been to a single grass roots drift event that requires any sort of regulated seat, literally anything goes as long as you're not leaking fluids and battery is tied down. that's it lol.
Old 07-28-20, 08:06 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i haven't been to a single grass roots drift event that requires any sort of regulated seat, literally anything goes as long as you're not leaking fluids and battery is tied down. that's it lol.
This varies wildly depending on where you got. The skidpad at GLD has no rules. Rockford Speedway is the same way (hence it earned the name Thunderdome), and I believe US41 is too. There used to be events on the pad at RT66 but I don't remember if they were tech'd or not. I know everything run by ClubFR has a basic tech inspection. USAir is where they're the most thorough. They are pretty lax overall but they do have standards and they have them so no one can sue them in the event of a crash.
Old 07-28-20, 06:27 PM
Broken93
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’d go with the seat you know has rails that will work in the car, I have a Recaro SR3 and I’m having trouble figuring out what seat rails will work.
Old 07-28-20, 09:08 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

People have said Wedge brackets work with Recaros, but I don't know anyone who has done that combo.

I have Recaro SR3 Tomcats in my SC300 on Bride MO-Type seat rails. MO's are compatible with almost all of Bride's reclinable lineup as well as all of Recaros reclinable line as well