SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1994 SC300 Steering Wheel Creak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 06:01 PM
HamesWats
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 SC300 Steering Wheel Creak

My car is a 1994 Lexus SC300, 5-speed manual (I know, I love it)

A little while ago I started noticing a sort of creaking sound coming from what sounded like the steering column, the sound only came out whenever I was steering the wheel past about 30 degrees each side. It doesn't rumble, shake, or shimmer at all its just that sound. The only other thing is the steering wheel feels like a kind of *twang* whenever it creaks and the power steering tension seems to fluctuate around based on how much I turned to either side. I was just wondering what this could be so I could try and fix it myself instead of taking it to the dealership in order to save money, it's such an old car it probably wouldn't be worth what they would ask for to fix it. I suspect that either the control arm for the steering or the ball joint are either going bad or have not enough lubricant, i dont know for sure what it is though.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-28-20, 12:13 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

Hmm... yeah this is not something I'd take in to a Lexus dealer to get remedied (If you're in or near the general L.A. area I can give you a couple of shop recommendations for regular services though).

If the sound is coming from inside the car then it might be coming from the clock spring area but that's a seriously out there guess without hearing it myself. If the sound is coming from outside the cabin then I might suggest that it's bad steering rack bushings if they have never been replaced (you'd buy new polyurethane bushings for that from Figs Engineering or Daizen). If this is the case you would also note some steering "shimmy" on the road at speed where the steering is never on center and constantly roams about as it likes to.

Front lower control arms are also a common long term wear item on 92-00 SC's (replacements for most are new 93-96 Supra MKIV front lower control arms) and those can also contribute to front end "shimmy" but I'm not aware of them contributing to the squeaking you are describing.
Old 06-28-20, 06:20 AM
AceVL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HamesWats
My car is a 1994 Lexus SC300, 5-speed manual (I know, I love it)

A little while ago I started noticing a sort of creaking sound coming from what sounded like the steering column, the sound only came out whenever I was steering the wheel past about 30 degrees each side. It doesn't rumble, shake, or shimmer at all its just that sound. The only other thing is the steering wheel feels like a kind of *twang* whenever it creaks and the power steering tension seems to fluctuate around based on how much I turned to either side. I was just wondering what this could be so I could try and fix it myself instead of taking it to the dealership in order to save money, it's such an old car it probably wouldn't be worth what they would ask for to fix it. I suspect that either the control arm for the steering or the ball joint are either going bad or have not enough lubricant, i dont know for sure what it is though.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
do you have the stock steering wheel? Or was it replaced? I put an Es330 wheel in mine and noticed the creaking or catching when turning, but it was due to the fact there was no airbag and the airbag clockspring cable would snag internally on the wheel.

You could replace your steering bushings, I did that before I realized it was the clock spring, got some Nolathane ones on amazon for around $20.