SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sound deadening questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 01:13 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally posted by onelasttry
I think Home Depot was where i last got some a few years back. Got that in canda?
We sure do. So it goes by the name of Pink Panther and the only other thing I need is some automotive glue? Please be specific as to what I need to get. Thanks!!
Old 09-11-03, 01:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

3M seems to make the best spray glue out there IMO. If there is something better, i'd like to find it.
Old 09-11-03, 05:13 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, just to get your opinion, since you seem rather knowlegable... I would want to do a layer of brownbread (or RAAMmat) through the floors, back seat area, transmission tunnel and doors, and then a layer of pink panther fiberglass over that, glued down with spray adhesive?

It sounds like when the 1st sound deadening is glued and set down, the pink panther would be easy to layer over it... Keep in mind I have not upgraded my sound system, don't plan on it, and certainly don't plan on it, this is strictly for isolating road noise and making the ride quieter. From what I hear I might need a second 70 sq. foot roll to do everything I want.

By the way, If i decide to have a pro-audio shop do the entire car, what price should I expect, I'm supplying materials.
Old 09-11-03, 11:06 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Onelasttry,

Could you give an R-value, thickness, or other details on the type of PP you've used? I'm under the impression that they make many types of insulation.. Also would be interested in a setup like SC400-V8 mentioned.

Thanks
Old 09-11-03, 11:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

that's a good question. i had the r value wrote down last year when i still had my store.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-11-03 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 05:25 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Slasher48
Onelasttry,

Could you give an R-value, thickness, or other details on the type of PP you've used? I'm under the impression that they make many types of insulation.. Also would be interested in a setup like SC400-V8 mentioned.

Thanks
I agree.

Brian, I went to Home Depot Motorsports , and the only pink panther they had was like 3-4" thick roofing/attic fiberglass insulation. Is that what your talking about, or do they make some sort of low profile fiberglass insulation (like 1/2" thick- carpet padding kinda stuff). Also, how do you put the PP on the doors? Its probably obvious once I understand what exact PP item your talking about.

About RAAMat, so its self adhesive? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but I remember when Dynomat could only be installed w/ a heat gun, and the gun was to to mold the material around the irregular shapes of the body pannels (the dips/curves/crevices), and really didn't have much to do with its adhesive nature. The stuff was just so thick that you had to soften it up to make the bends and turns. Now there are like a million different types of sound deadning materials from the same company for every ones needs.

I think I'll do a mix of both. I trust Brian (Onelast) when he says he can get the PP to work, so I'll mat the important key areas and PP the rest of the car since it's so cheap.........excuse me, cost effective!

Thanks for everyone's input on the important areas to work on.

Keith

P.S. Keep the ideas comming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANy one else have good luck with other products?
Old 09-12-03, 08:49 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Pink Panther idea. I am going to have to slap some of that stuff in my fiance's Civic and really put it to the test on road noise.

3/4" does sound thick, though. ?

"Home Depot Motorsports"
Old 09-12-03, 10:44 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Pianoman72
I like the Pink Panther idea. I am going to have to slap some of that stuff in my fiance's Civic and really put it to the test on road noise.

3/4" does sound thick, though. ?

"Home Depot Motorsports"
Actually it's 3" to 4" thick (not 3/4").....thats what I don't understand how Brian is using it. He must be talking about something else.
Old 09-12-03, 10:47 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

it shreds. peels like a flaky biscut. i have also been known to use a razor. it compresses well, personally i never shaved it TOO much. the stuff isn't stone, it's basically like cotton. lot's of ability to compress. However i did shave it some.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-12-03 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-12-03, 11:17 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Alrighty then,
Im heading home for the weekend in a little while... I'm gonna get an estimate on the installation price from at least one audio shop over the next few days on the cost of doing the whole interior with RAAmat, or brown bread, and then PPing over it. I'm hoping for a price of around $350 or less... granted alot of you can do this yourself, but unfortunately not only do I not trust myself to strip the interior perfectly, but I have no free time, what with being at college during the week, and then working some of the weekends, g/f and so on. Hey it's all good... Last night I remember telling the g/f about my plan to soundproofing the car and she responded "Honey its already very quiet". "Well yeah, but it can be even quieter"

True, true.
Old 09-12-03, 11:28 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to all the previous posts on CL on how to remove interior panels, it is really not all that hard. Some even have step-by-step photos.

Especially the rear seat- the front of the bottom portion, where your thighs touch, pop straight up, exposing three 12MM bolts that, once loosened, free up the backrest. Don't forget to stuff some foam in the small pockets created by the metal frame that supports the seat bottoms.
Old 10-21-03, 01:31 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I just got around to doing this and I found this stuff to use instead of the pink panther. I don't want anything with fiberglass in my car, especially since I will be cutting it so it is not as thick.

This is made of recycled cotton fiber.

http://www.bondedlogic.com/UT_Cotton_Ins.asp

A roll of it is $63 but I won't need all that and can probably sell what I don't use or keep it for another project.

I am doing this in a Civic since I have to pull up the carpet in the car already because someone spilled something FOUL.

My plan is to use 3M spray adhesive to attach this stuff to the bottomside of the carpet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Pianoman72; 10-21-03 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 01:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally posted by Pianoman72
This is made of recycled cotton fiber.

http://www.bondedlogic.com/UT_Cotton_Ins.asp

A roll of it is $63 but I won't need all that and can probably sell what I don't use or keep it for another project.
It sounds like it would do a good job. Where are you buying it from? I don't see any links there to purchase it online............
Old 10-21-03, 02:07 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Hmm..

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/s...cts/index2.asp
Old 10-21-03, 02:18 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I'm getting it from a place down the street from me listed under their "distributors" link.

EDIT: Ok I got a TON of it. THe R value is 13. It is basically recycled fabric just like what was already under the carpet on the Civic (it serves as padding, insulation and noise reduction), but this way I can add a lot more.

I have enough to do 10 or 12 cars so if anyone wants some hit me up. I can do a write-up on my install if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 10-22-03 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening questions