SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sound deadening questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 06:50 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening questions

Ive decided that a worthwhile mod I'd like to do very soon is a luxury mod... Having the car soundproofed even beyond the way it came. I plan on having the entire floor including the transmission tunnel sound proofed, In addition to the backseat area, and the doors. Im not gonna bother with the trunk. By the way, My sound system is the nakamichi and completely stock, I'm doing this more to issolate the interior from road noise than to improve sound system clarity, even though thats an added plus to me. Is 70 sq. feet enough to do everything aforementioned? Ive chosen brown bread as the material I'll use.
Old 09-10-03, 06:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Pink Panther Insulation.

Most widely used trick in the industry.

dirt cheap too

As an ex competitor and ex car audio store owner, it is my recommendation. if your not running shows, you wont notice anything between that and dynomat or stinger roadkill. only the RTA can tell.
Old 09-11-03, 05:20 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where can you get that?

A google search just has home insulation under that name.

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to dynomat myself.
Old 09-11-03, 06:30 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I dont think being cheap with sound proofing is such a good idea... In all serious, 70 sq. ft. of brown bread (IS THIS ENOUGH TO DO WHAT I MENTIONED BEFORE??) will cost $125.00. Why bother to skimp on that amount if its only a little more than a hundred bucks? You guys must really be hurtin. And second of all, Im sure the pink panther must be good for a little while, but on the doors and other vertical surfaces, how the hell is it gonna keep from gradually falling off? It doesnt adhere to surfaces, you have to staple it to your home and Im sure as hell not doing that to my car.
Old 09-11-03, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by onelasttry
Pink Panther Insulation.

Most widely used trick in the industry.

dirt cheap too

As an ex competitor and ex car audio store owner, it is my recommendation. if your not running shows, you wont notice anything between that and dynomat or stinger roadkill. only the RTA can tell.
I'd be interested in knowing where to get this too................
Old 09-11-03, 08:38 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keith, I didn't want to pay the huge markup on Dynomat, either, so I bought some RAAMMat. CL member Retrodrive can hook you up with some, or arrange for a discount from the vendor (based in San Diego). Send me a SASE and I'll even give you a free sample.

Here's one of several threads with some more detail on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=50287

....and here's how it looked once installed:

Old 09-11-03, 10:21 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Just curious, how many sq. feet af material did it take to cover that back seat area?
Old 09-11-03, 11:17 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Here's what I said in that thread I mentioned (see link above):

"... I thought I'd share my progress in using up my 50 sq. ft. roll of RAAMmat on my SC400. It's nothing that most of you have not already seen, especially if you've been monitoring retrodrive's progress, but here's the rear seat area. This took 3-4 hours. Between this area, and the area shown in the next post, I've used up 25 sq. ft. so far"
Old 09-11-03, 12:00 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I dont think being cheap with sound proofing is such a good idea...
Actually it is, considering the markup on the name brand stuff. I remember back when Dynomatt was the only stuff around, and they charged an arm and a leg for it. An off brand of similar quality ran around half the price of Dynomat when it came out and worked just as good, so since I haven't been competing in IASCA events in many years, I've lost touch with whats low priced (cheap) and still good.

PERRYinLA :I'll shoot Retrodrive a PM when I decide to buy. I'll most likely do it near Christmas, so I hgave the time off to install it. Can you use a heat gun on the stuff or is it self adhesive only?

Thanks
Old 09-11-03, 12:42 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Keith13b
<... snip! ...> Can you use a heat gun on the stuff or is it self adhesive only?
Thanks
I used a lot of the RAAMat (2rolls) and I think it's pretty good stuff. The "tar" side is really (REALLY) sticky, so you won't need a heat gun unless you're putting it on in 40 degree weather. You will want a good wooden roller (or a set of different sized ones).
I found the most improvement covering the rear floor, trans tunnel, and doors. The one area I didn't do, that I think would make a HUGE difference is up under the dash (on the back of the firewall). There seems to be a lot of noise coming from there, but taking everything out to soundproof it would be a b&%ch!

Doing the doors is really nice because they now close with a very solid sound. Very luxurious

One last tip, if it's road noise you're trying to get rid of, you really need to use two different materials for soundproofing. Use the RAAMat on the metal panels, and then use something like carpet padding on top of it. Using two different mterials works *much* better than either alone.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to do the underside of the rear shelf "cover" (the cardboard piece that holds the speaker grills). It will kill many of the rattles that you will start noticing when you quiet the rest of the car
Old 09-11-03, 12:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I didn't use or seem to need a heat gun, but I guess it would come in handy if you install it in colder weather. As you know, it's just tar attached to a flexible substrate, with peel-off backing to keep the tar from sticking until you are ready. So yeah, I don't see the need to pay the huge markups of Dynomat and the other premium brands. The www.sounddomain.com discussion forum has hundreds of threads discussing various sound deadening products and their relative value.

This is off topic, i know, but I read Mobile Electronics magazine (http://me-mag.com) often, which is targeted towards car stereo dealers, and the ads for Dynomat brag about how much extra money dealers can make by selling their "premuim" tar paper over other brands. Same goes for Monster Cable- a marketer's dream.
Old 09-11-03, 12:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

A google search just has home insulation under that name.
That's the stuff

I dont think being cheap with sound proofing is such a good idea
Do you know what soundproofing IS? The concept, not the material. It is the process of reducing resonant sound waves to eliminate sound distortion cause by resonance loading.

And second of all, Im sure the pink panther must be good for a little while, but on the doors and other vertical surfaces, how the hell is it gonna keep from gradually falling off? It doesnt adhere to surfaces, you have to staple it to your home and Im sure as hell not doing that to my car
First, ROFLMAO.

Second, () There are many different spray glues that are made strictly for the automotive environment. Stinger, 3M, and a host of other manufacturers spend millions each year designing glues that are aerosol based and are used in the auto industry to adhere everything from vinyl to cloth to PINK PANTHER.

Don't take my word for it. Go out and spend a few hundred bucks in deadening material and buy the farm while your at it. When your done, come see me and we'll have a little sound competition.

I have installed just over 8,000 units in vehicle's over a span of 6 years professionally according to my installer log (we won't talk about the few thousand side jobs.) Built 26 local show cars running over 20k in equiptment each for just MY stores alone, not counting customer cars. I have NEVER used anything but Pink Panther Fiberglass in my cars and have placed from first to third in every show i have ever attended.

Pink Panther has a very unique characteristic to it, it deadens everything. then the fiberglass inside of it rings off the left over harmonics and gives the highs more headroom! Something that $300.00 worth of dynomat can't do.

Like i say, run whatever you want. I have a single 12 on 250 watts, 4 6.5 inch mids on 100 watts each, and a little processing in the middle. I'll RTA anyday, anywhere. Cost of doing the whole car in PP = $45.00

You get over 3 db more sound with PP also. dynomat sits on the metal and stops the metal from resonating.PP doesn't do anything for the metal, it stops the soundwaves in mid air, so you still get the boost in DB off the metal as it vibrates. You can be LOUDER with PP than dynomat.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-11-03 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 12:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

P.S.- the RAAMat comes with good reviews. just not as cheap and can't give you any headroom advantages like the fiberglass can.
Old 09-11-03, 01:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Please let us know where we can buy this stuff (PP).
Old 09-11-03, 01:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I think Home Depot was where i last got some a few years back. Got that in canda?

Quick Reply: Sound deadening questions