SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 09:02 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebanks it's cause u like the speed. a nsx can't pump out as much power as a supra. i think the nsx looks a lot better than the supra though.. much more of an exotic car... supras are everywhere now.. it's getting played out..
Old 09-11-03, 09:08 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
ebanks it's cause u like the speed. a nsx can't pump out as much power as a supra. i think the nsx looks a lot better than the supra though.. much more of an exotic car... supras are everywhere now.. it's getting played out..
I agree supras are getting more and more common to see, but it was still a much nicer car and half the price.

The NSX is not a bad car, but for me it would honestly be a daily. I can't imagine that being my "fun" car, since it was really pretty boring. Maybe its just because it was stock, and any worthwhile mod was like $12k so I never modded it.

-Ethan
Old 09-11-03, 09:47 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Heh heh heh Ethan... and the SC400 is different how?
Old 09-11-03, 10:04 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I guess that is true.. If you just want a cool daily then get the NSX, but don't buy it expecting it to be some supercar.

-Ethan
Old 09-12-03, 12:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with NA1 NSX. Sure the NA2 with its 6-Speed is a better platform, but it is really easy to make up 20HP. I was dead set on buying a 97+ for the 3.2 and 6-Speed, but somehow I ended up with a 92. What I like about the 92 is that it is a hard top. I particularty don't care for the T top, although that would never be a deal breaker. I would simply never take the top off, so the added regidity of the hard top just makes more sense for me. Also, it appears the 3.0 block is easier to beef up. There alreadt are darton sleeves made for the 3.0 motor, but it appears (according to some who have experience with the 3.2 motor) that it is much harder and expensive to beef up the 3.2 block. I also happend to have thge NSX-R gears (This is the JDM NSX only short gears and the NSX-R only Ring and Pinion gear). This made a large seat of the pants difference in feel between the stock USDM 5-Speed and NSX-R 5-Speed. I would say the 6-Speed is still number 1, but the NSX-R 5-Speed is a close second. Besides, if you really need the 6-Speed you can do a trans swap. Over all, even while I originally wanted a 3.2 6-Speed and could have bought one, I've learned that for me the 3.0 block is a better choice as it is readily availably if you need a replacement, cost cheaper, easier to strengthen (At least from some of the things I've been reading in the Forced Induction section at NSXPrime), and any forced induction kit will be more than enough power for me. Also, like I mentioned I really want to keep the hard top and the special order hard tops from 96-2001 is just too rare to find.

As for which car to get (NSX or SC400) I say get what you want and don't listen to anyone else. I too want to get an SC400 for myself as a daily driver. Right not I only have my wifes 2004 RX330 and my NSX since I had to sell my 6-Speed Legend Coupe. I always wanted to try the SC400, so I'm looking to get one sometime next year. Unlike Ebanks, the NSX has been nothing but fun for me. Sure, I never had a moded Supra TT that we all know can have insane power, but HP and insanely fast accelaration is not my main priority. To me, the Supra TT feels heavy even though it is very fast. The NSX just feels so precise and light weight. The drivers veiw through the windshield is great. I know I can only accelerate to 60 in 5.2 second and do the 1/4 in low 13 seconds, but that is fast enough for me. Strangers who know little or nothing about the NSX often think is is a brand new car or late model, so you can hardly call it outdated either.

Ebanks, if you still have your NSX, you have to check out some of the new Super Charger kits for the NSX. I'm sure you already know of the Comptech and the BBSC from Mark Basch kit both of which yeild power close to the 400RWHP range in basic kit for, but Mark at Dali also is releasing the BoostZilla kit. All these SC kits can be done for $6000-$8000 (Comtech is the high $$ end). Also, you have to check out the soon to be released velocity stacks that Chris at Science of Speed is releasing. This should be less than $7000 as well.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-12-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 04:18 AM
ruki400
Pole Position

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
NSX all the way!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=94778

Cant compare an 80 thousand dollar car to a 40 thousand dollar car.
99/00 SC 400 is more like 60 k.
Old 09-12-03, 08:31 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CK6Speed,

Nice writeup. It's all preference i know but i think for me, I'd probably never mod the nsx if i ever get one. So stock for stock, the 6spd will be more appealing. Not so much just the 20hp, but the gear ratio is also better for better numbers. either case, i dont think you can go wrong w/ either. but it'd be nice to own a mid engine exotic looking car that is honda reliable and can be a daily driver.
the new SL500 and NSX are really the only two cars i'll be driving next.
Old 09-12-03, 10:39 AM
nbovelle
Driver School Candidate

Default sc vs nsx

I have been looking at the NSX also. I was supposed to get a 92 black on black last week, but the seller decided not to sell it. It is a very fun car to drive. It is kind of exotic and still has that Honda reliability. Some people claim that it does not have the character of a Ferrari or Porsche, but a lot of what they call character are really flaws. I also have a 92SC400 that I am planning to keep. The NSX does not have much in the way of a trunk, but can otherwise still be very practical as a daily driver. If you can......
GET BOTH!

Finally, check out nsxprime.com. You will find a lot of usefull info there.

Good luck,

Nate in DC
Old 09-12-03, 12:05 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally posted by CK6Speed
Sure, I never had a moded Supra TT that we all know can have insane power, but HP and insanely fast accelaration is not my main priority. To me, the Supra TT feels heavy even though it is very fast. The NSX just feels so precise and light weight.

this is very well said, and pretty much sums up the nsx.

nsx is a perfectly balanced car. i love the supra, but i would take a stock nsx over a 700 HP supra..then again maybe i am dumb

btw listening to the nsx at redline in second gear..right behind ur head...u forget the stereo and everything else, its just an orgasmic sound...like running gasoline through ur veins

u have to experience it firsthand to truly understad

Last edited by ryanSC300lover; 09-12-03 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 02:12 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Easy Answer...

Keep the SC and buy the NSX for the fun days. That's what I did, only I kept both of them for the fun days and drive a LX470 everyday. Gotta love America.
Old 09-12-03, 05:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ruki400
99/00 SC 400 is more like 60 k.
Wow, $60K for a used 99/00 is kind of steep. That is near brand new prices in my area.
Old 09-12-03, 05:53 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default He was meaning...

Duh, he was meaning 60k as a new car. My 97 SC sticker was $62k. Obviously it was loaded. Also, the NSX is $92,500 sticker...that's why I had to settle for a year old one. You can get them a lot cheaper...around $75k. But what an awesome car it is. Worth every penny.
Old 09-12-03, 05:54 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

The NSX is truely a beautiful car, gorgeous all around and grabs tons of attention. But, I just can't see spending that much money on one. You can spend half the dough on several other cars that will outperform and drop just as many panties.
Old 09-12-03, 05:59 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

Originally posted by Angel
...drop just as many panties.
Lol. That should be some sort of rubrick in the stats for any given car. Something like PPH (panties per hour)...
Old 09-12-03, 07:46 PM
legendary
Racer

thanks for te write up Chris...I knew you'd be here. I gave up my search for the NSX temporarily for the SC....I kept finding A/T's or ragged out NSX/ ones with the ring problem. I was also thwarted by the fact tires are a 6 month maintenance problem [not good for daily driver exactly]

I will still possibly get one....but Kris, I say keep the SC, get the NSX and enjoy all vehicles you have

Quick Reply: What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?