SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 12:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by legendary
I kept finding A/T's or ragged out NSX/ ones with the ring problem. I was also thwarted by the fact tires are a 6 month maintenance problem [not good for daily driver exactly]

I will still possibly get one....but Kris, I say keep the SC, get the NSX and enjoy all vehicles you have
Yes, if you can, keep the SC and get an NSX.

Leon, the tires are not that bad. Well, it depends on how many miles you drive in 6 months. However, if you use the 94+ alignment and other than OEM tires, you can probably get 15K-20K on the front tires and 10K-15K on the rear tires. Generally, the rear tires wear down twice as fast as the front tires. Now, if you keep the aggressive original 91-92 alignment, you will eat up tires, however, the car will handle the best. Most track guys use the original specs for the track. You can even dial out more toe from the front and rear and prolong tire life even further as a cost to handling though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-13-03 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 04:55 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info Chris...that's interesting, as you know I will not keep it stock
Old 09-14-03, 08:34 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lex400sc
NSX looks more exotic, ho magnet, handles like a champ, and is fun as hell to drive! However, you'll probably need a second commuter/beater car if you drive this thing. The SC400 is a more practical daily-driver/cruiser/luxo car. It all depends on what you want...
LOL, Well put lex400sc.. I agree tho.. I have never driven one but would love too but I would not want to drive it all the time unless I lived somewhere, where it didn't snow or what not... I would look at every possible option and think long and hard...

GL
Shawn
Old 09-14-03, 02:51 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ebanks
I got rid of my 94 TT Supra for a 95 NSX-T and it was the worst car move I have ever made.

-Ethan
Ouch, but why? Ouch once again.
Old 09-14-03, 04:21 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

My freind has a NSX his car gets alot more attention at shows than mine.
Attached Thumbnails What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?-myride2.jpg  
Old 09-14-03, 04:22 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

his X
Attached Thumbnails What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?-nsx.jpg  
Old 09-15-03, 02:19 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Legends6spd
CK6Speed,

Nice writeup. It's all preference i know but i think for me, I'd probably never mod the nsx if i ever get one. So stock for stock, the 6spd will be more appealing. Not so much just the 20hp, but the gear ratio is also better for better numbers. either case, i dont think you can go wrong w/ either. but it'd be nice to own a mid engine exotic looking car that is honda reliable and can be a daily driver.
the new SL500 and NSX are really the only two cars i'll be driving next.
That is what we all say I told myself that when I got mine, I would not mod anything for 1 year. Well, my first mod went in 1 month after I got it. In this case it was needed since my plastic coolant tank started to crack, so I bought a nice aluminim tank from SOS. That stated the mod ball though as soon after I did an Audio/Video system, and I'm starting to by more things as we speak
Old 09-15-03, 10:40 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought back my old turbo SC300, and sold my NSX.

If the choice was between a NSX and a SC400? You can't compare the two, they're entirely different types of vehicles. I woudl go with the NSX out of those two. More fun. More reliable (in fact, the NSX is rated the most reliable car of ALL TIME). Better gas mileage. I was getting upwards of 25mph in the NSX.

Alas, I wanted something i could get real HP out of. The NSX gets pretty limited around the 500hp level, and you have to spend $30k to get over that....with the SC300 I can spend $30k and be at 1000hp.

All depends on what you want to do....

SR
Old 09-16-03, 01:38 AM
legendary
Racer

ok, that answers my question Wiz
Old 09-25-03, 11:16 PM
X-TNSIV
Driver

maybe I can help out on this topic as well.

I currently own a '91 Twin Turbo NSX with several mods and have had 2 SC300's prior and the use of a '98 SC400 for a few months. Not to mention, I just picked up another '92 SC300 5 spd last week as a daily driver.

the NSX is an amazing car even stock. If you are looking for a car to make FAST, then the NSX is definitely NOT the car for you.

Now, if you are planning on keeping both cars relatively stock (engine wise) then the NSX is a far superior car in many aspects. The car is hand made, quick, reliable, and has amazing body lines.

The SC on the other hand, can seat four, has much more of a plush ride, colder AC, and easier to get in and out of.

Keep in mind, just because you can afford to buy a NSX, doesn't mean you can afford the maintenance on one. Timing belt change is $1K +, clutch is about $2K, AC evaporators are $1K or so, window regulators are a few hundred, etc. most people forget that when it comes to service, they are still paying for parts on a $90K+ car, not a $25-$30K used car.

if you have any specific questions...feel free to ask. I'll try and give a non-biased statement whenever possible.

Allen

this is a pic of my car. (of the 22 cars that I've owned over the years...this has been my favorite, and the only one that I haven't had the urge to sell...which is AMAZING!)
Attached Thumbnails What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?-x-tnsiv-tt-nsx.jpg  

Last edited by X-TNSIV; 09-25-03 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 12:24 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by X-TNSIV
maybe I can help out on this topic as well.

I currently own a '91 Twin Turbo NSX with several mods and have had 2 SC300's prior and the use of a '98 SC400 for a few months. Not to mention, I just picked up another '92 SC300 5 spd last week as a daily driver.

the NSX is an amazing car even stock. If you are looking for a car to make FAST, then the NSX is definitely NOT the car for you.

Now, if you are planning on keeping both cars relatively stock (engine wise) then the NSX is a far superior car in many aspects. The car is hand made, quick, reliable, and has amazing body lines.

The SC on the other hand, can seat four, has much more of a plush ride, colder AC, and easier to get in and out of.

Keep in mind, just because you can afford to buy a NSX, doesn't mean you can afford the maintenance on one. Timing belt change is $1K +, clutch is about $2K, AC evaporators are $1K or so, window regulators are a few hundred, etc. most people forget that when it comes to service, they are still paying for parts on a $90K+ car, not a $25-$30K used car.

if you have any specific questions...feel free to ask. I'll try and give a non-biased statement whenever possible.

Allen

this is a pic of my car. (of the 22 cars that I've owned over the years...this has been my favorite, and the only one that I haven't had the urge to sell...which is AMAZING!)
This is an excellent comparison.

-Ethan
Old 09-26-03, 06:43 AM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

I am at a crossroads as well. Its do the swap on my sc and get around 600 rwhp, 20
' iforged, t&e, new seats/interior or buy a nsx and build the motor and get the factor x turbo kit, gears, ducted hatch, wing, sorcery widebody, iforged...

either way is a ton of money. I love the nsx look but it does have major hp limitations...sc is more relaxed and the biggest sleeper around pa

tough decision anyway you slice it....I am thinking of doing the sc first and use it as my daily for when I get the nsx.... best of both worlds...than on to a skyline r34 i hope..

dreaming and praying to win the lottery
Old 09-26-03, 08:38 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there a market for decent OEM spec replacement parts at a lower cost HONDACURA? I've been tossin' the idea of an NSX around for a good minute, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm thinkin' if i had a boosted SC4, I wouldn't want an NSX as much cuz I have a more luxurious car, probably faster at that point, at a slight disadvantage of looks,... but hey 2 outta 3 huh?
Old 09-26-03, 09:51 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

X-TNSIV......absolutely beautiful.
Old 09-26-03, 06:19 PM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Originally posted by NAZTY97
Is there a market for decent OEM spec replacement parts at a lower cost HONDACURA? I've been tossin' the idea of an NSX around for a good minute, but haven't pulled the trigger.
there really isn't a place to get a significant discount on factory parts. The best thing would be to join NSXCA and get 20-25% off at participating dealers. But parts are still incredibly expensive. As far as going with aftermarket replacement parts, unless you are swaping out stuff for higher quality performance items...then you're contradicting the entire reason why you would buy a NSX in the first place.

Originally posted by NAZTY97
I'm thinkin' if i had a boosted SC4, I wouldn't want an NSX as much cuz I have a more luxurious car, probably faster at that point, at a slight disadvantage of looks,... but hey 2 outta 3 huh?
well, if you really think about what you are saying here...the luxurious portion won't make sense.

If you boost a SC using a NA-T conversion, or a full GTE swap. you WILL NOT be keeping the suspension stock. You will definitely need to increase spring rates and other suspension related components (ie sway bars, strut bars, bushings) to compensate the added power, unless of course you don't care how a car handles and just want to go straight FAST and out of control. By changing out the suspension, you will compromise the factory plush ride.

if you like the fact that it has leather, well then...the NSX does too!

but the fact remains...if you want the SC to be faster than a NSX, you can do it relatively easily. The ultimate decision is made by what YOUR priorities are, not based on the opnions of others.

Allen

Last edited by X-TNSIV; 09-26-03 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: What would you choose - SC400 or NSX?