SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 02:26 PM
Steve93sc4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick questions

So i will be doin a 1jz swap here soon into my 93 sc400. Went with vvti. Question for anyone whos done the wiring portion...i have ordered 1JZGTE VVTi JZS171/JZX110 Front Sump 1JZ Turbo A/T ECU MAF IGNITER Full JDM Swap Toyota Chaser, Mark II, Crown.

Ive read that its a pain to wire the jzx110's..i guess they are different? I also called tweaked and talked to cam...basically its just labor intensive adding extensions (easy enough id think). I just want any opinions. Diagrams can be a pain, but ive got buddies who love wiring and reading diagrams.

I will Be taking my sweet time on this to get it right...im just not super ocd
Old 09-23-20, 12:26 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

I think among other things the JZX110 wiring harnesses and ECUs are considered difficult because of the semi-DBW throttle they have and which those ECUs use but I could be mistaken. With any JDM 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE swap from an original harness you are going to need to extend the wires about (I think) 18" from what they are from the factory in order to work in a LHD SC300/400.

The body plugs will also need to be changed wire-pin by wire-pin for a 1992-2000 SC's body plugs or the ones from your SC400's harness.

Really, the thing to do is to unwrap and label both harnesses and combine the parts you need from the 1JZ-GTE JZX100 harness into your SC's harness. This does involve having the JZX110 1JZ-GTE to 92-00 SC body plug pinouts and the factory SC300/400 Electrical Wiring Diagram TSRM as references. And you'll want to make an Excel spreadsheet and/or a printout of that spreadsheet to cross-check your work between both body plugs.

There are a lot of little things to check off the list and get right when you do a wiring harness job yourself.

I highly recommend you check out Gerrb's big "2JZ-GTE Swap Harness Made Easy" thread which is loaded with pictures and information to familiarize you with the process. It is totally doable for anyone with basic electrical knowledge and decent soldering and heat-shrink skills, a bunch of rolls of 3M Super 33+ electrical tape (or Tessa #51036 engine harness tape), a decent soldering iron, good solder (the stuff that will stay and not get cold joints later on... which means you should wear a common respirator mask so as not to breathe the solder fumes) and a common electrical multimeter with a continuity setting that will "beep" when testing each electrical pin connection.

Being super OCD when doing an engine wiring harness is a good thing. Not rushing and taking your time to get each connection right and testing each of them, replacing all bad connectors and bad connector terminal wire ends with new ones and looking through ALL the harness wiring to be sure it has no poorly messed up DIY wiring hack jobs before you is a good thing.

As for the wiring you would use for extensions I'm not sure what Cam @ Tweak'd goes with but I personally cannibalized another SC300 Auto wiring harness to steal OEM Toyota quality wires from as I needed them.

When you do one of these converted harnesses yourself and double check everything to get it as close to an OEM quality job as possible you'll understand why they are as pricey as they are from places like Tweak'd, Panic-Wire, Wiring Specialties and other aftermarket custom swap harness vendors. But you CAN do it yourself if everything I listed above sounds like something you want to get into.

The important thing especially if you've never done this before is to gather all the right tools and materials, all the pinouts and diagram info, organize what you'll use both electronically and on reference printouts and to *make an organized binder for everything*, give yourself a clean work space... and to take your time and triple-check all your work and continuity test all your connections before you install the harness in the car.

Old 09-23-20, 10:03 AM
Steve93sc4
Rookie

Thank you for your response. Pretty sure i can tackle it myself. I have electrical wiring experience and have been reading so many different posts here..its amazing. Already downloaded and found different posts for wiring/pins..etc. I will definitely take my time.
Old 09-23-20, 10:22 AM
cjarvi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 96 selling 5 speed

Hi, I'm from New England. expect to be selling my 5 speed sc300 96. good shape but 290 miles.. any ideas about worth? thanks cj
Old 09-23-20, 08:55 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Don't you need Mid/rear sump?
Old 09-24-20, 03:33 AM
Steve93sc4
Rookie

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Don't you need Mid/rear sump?
Rear sump and yes. Been lookin for a used one...so far ebay has em for 500+. New is 1k.