SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Troubled owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20 | 03:22 PM
4Lv8SC
Driver School Candidate

Default Troubled owner

Hey guys I’m a new owner of a 1995 Lexus sc400 and the previous owner did not take car of this thing at all and I got it for $500. This thing has spongy brakes, damaged front subframe, abs light, two different sets of wheels, and interior all torn up. So far I got the vehicle serviced, bout to get the brakes bled, and get new battery cables and OEM post clamps so that I know my battery is good. But from what I’ve listed is this a doomed project or am I worrying for nothing?
Old 11-13-20 | 11:14 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

It depends on what you want to do with it. And how much money you are willing to spend.
I will be honest with you, there is no cheap way to repair all the issues you have listed. Best case scenario, fixing all that costs you maybe $3000 and that just fixes the issues you listed. That doesn't fix the issues you discover as time goes on.
Old 11-13-20 | 01:28 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Could we see pics of the damaged subframe? Hows the condition of the body? If you have another car to daily while you work on it it you should be able to slowly sort through the issues.see how it drives with the battery and brakes given the once over. I remember before i changed my battery and posts my abs light was on and once i got new ones it went off on its own, these cars like high voltage sometimes just simple stuff like a fresh battery can fix a few gremlins.
Old 11-17-20 | 06:32 AM
4Lv8SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
Could we see pics of the damaged subframe? Hows the condition of the body? If you have another car to daily while you work on it it you should be able to slowly sort through the issues.see how it drives with the battery and brakes given the once over. I remember before i changed my battery and posts my abs light was on and once i got new ones it went off on its own, these cars like high voltage sometimes just simple stuff like a fresh battery can fix a few gremlins.
right now I sent it to the shop to give it a once over and fix most of the problems. Once it gets back I’m replacing abs sensors because a wheel speed sensor is out. I do have a daily but it’s also in the shop for a rear window leak but I have a spare vehicle that I can drive. Also the subframe is damaged on the driver side right by the front alignment bolt of the driver side control arm
Old 11-17-20 | 11:04 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Definatly get that window leak fixed asap even if you have to replace the window its better than having rust problems, if worse comes to worse i know people who have sourced subframes from other SCs its not impossible.let us know how it goes after the shop is done
Old 11-17-20 | 02:54 PM
- V -
Instructor

It sounds like you're having a shop do all the work. If thats the case, I would say its a lost cause because the labor fees for the work that needs to be done on this car will quickly put you over any reasonable monetary number to put into the car. If you're doing the work yourself and have somewhere local to source and rebuild used parts, then its a different story. A project like that would likely require a covered space (garage in most cases) where you can keep the car for a prolonged period of time while you drive something else for your daily commute. You'll likely end up doing as brake upgrade which could also take care of your ABS issue but if it doesn't, thats something else to be fixed. if the subframe is the only thing thats bent, you can get that replaced as well. If the car has been completely neglected, expect to have issues with the trans and diff as well. Depending on the mileage, you will likely need to address the suspension as well. The interior is a whole different beast in of itself.

If i was in your situation, depending on your housing situation and if you have a place to store 2 cars for a few months, I would consider getting a wrecked parts car from an auction that has a clean interior and is preferably hit from the back or side so that you can salvage the front subframe. I've seen cars like these go for sub $1k after fees and thats for late model cars with black interiors which are more coveted.

But like I said, if you're not doing the work yourself, you'll quickly approach the 5-8k or even 10k mark doing all the work at a reputable shop. Also all of this assuming you got no issues with the engine and the car doesn't need to be repainted.
The following users liked this post:
perfctreig (11-18-20)
Old 11-18-20 | 07:12 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Yeah, honestly, sounds like this vehicle would be best served as a parts car. Buy another nice condition SC and use this for all the parts you need. Unless it has sentimental value, there’s no reason to spend tons of hard-earned cash on this car.
Old 11-18-20 | 04:00 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

ultimately its up to you, we can be your elbows and help you boost yourself up when you need...

As stated DIY would be a good project to learn.... If you have a shop do it, you will find yourself over your head with the quickness, then again my stance is that I'm on a limited budget constraint and I can have something sit for awhile with gobs of pressure from a spouse that would demand I sell my vehicle because it just needs an oil change.....
Old 11-19-20 | 02:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Unless you know how to replace the subframe (you will have to disassemble a bunch of stuff and have the right lift or engine hoist), it sounds dangerous and is a liability unless the damage is minor, which I am guessing it is not.