SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window regulator fix for Sc models

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 09:08 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by advan7
In the process of trying to get this regulator out, since the same thing just happened to me today.

Scared the crap out of me. I was just sitting in the drivethru for some fast food, and I heard this loud *POP*. I thought someone threw a rock at my window or a bird ran into my window. Come to find out the same thing happened to the plastic piece as well. It will catch and have no problem going down, but on the way up nothing.

Question is: What is the trick in getting the whole assembly out, or just removing that plastic piece from the actual window itself? I'm not seeing the solution yet. Any help is greatly appreciated, as the rain likes to pour here in Orlando.

lol this is the exact thing that happened to me, I was in Sarasota at a drive thru and pop....windows goes down but not up. I am trying this fix tonight.
Old 07-27-10, 09:49 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yupp happenend to me again to damn hot to fix this
Old 07-27-10, 10:56 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kez
yupp happenend to me again to damn hot to fix this
Tell me about it, its 90+ here in Tampa
Old 08-09-10, 05:58 AM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

rather than start a new thread i figured id revive this one to ask my question

my passenger side regulator is shot, big suprise. the cable is completely off of the top pulley and the pulley itself has a chip out of it which im sure is what lead to it coming off. is there a way to get the cable back onto the pulley? ive gotten it very close but cant get enough slack to get it on it. id like to see if i can at least get the cable back on it to see if itll still work with the chip out of it.
Old 12-28-10, 01:21 PM
Novoken
Pole Position

To fix the plastic part that OP "welded" can a zip tie be used instead of taking out the entire part out?
Old 12-28-10, 08:29 PM
Carbona
Driver School Candidate

I'm having an issue with my passanger window, it doesn't close completely. It's about 1/8-1/4" inch open causing terrible wind noise in the cabin. I had the door all apart but couldn't find any adjustment points. If I loosen the square head bolts that hold the glass to the regulator, do you think there's enough play there to lift the window that additional 1/8" or so or is there something else I should be looking for?
Old 10-18-11, 08:57 AM
nlc
Pole Position

my cable snapped yesterday in the heavy rain on the turnpike. i went to u pull it in the rain n got another cable. how do it get this done?

Originally Posted by kez
OLT i neeed ur help! how did u re wrap the wire around spool that fits in motor
the cable i got in the junk yard was jus layin in a sc n they were 2sec's from hauling it away to crush..rip sc btw lol
Old 01-03-12, 11:52 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdastg1
ok so I got time for this today. I was able to pull the plastic piece out by bending the rail. I didn't have to bend too much b/c the two plastic pieces on the left side of the picture were worn down/broken off (as marked in the picture).

So do you think it's salvagable? Or should I just go ahead and order a new one. The one on the right is intact.

Also I have another question. The metal wire runs up and connects to the motor. Where the spool is on the motor, there is a metal plate cover over it, with two screws. Do I remove this metal plate in order to get the wire to release and pull it out?

Basically how do I get the wire out is what I'm asking?
That's where mine is broken. The JB Weld part is fine, but the end of the cable with its nylon ferule is (for some reason) also out of the receiver part on the motor. Fortunately, there's a 94 sc4 (I have a 94 sc3) at the local pull it yourself yard. I've been reading this thread to figure out how to pull the reg --- which is pretty tricky with the window in the closed position, as it is at the yard. The front top threaded stud for the reg is almost too long to get out of the door metal because of glass clearance issues. With some effort, I finally got mine out. When I bring the replacement home, I plan to grind about 1/8" off of it before I try to reinstall. That end part isn't threaded anyway, so I'd suggest it to anyone to make the job easier the next time.
Old 01-03-12, 12:06 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by karldied
How do I remove the driver window glass?

I can't seem to get the regulator guide and motor out.

On 1/7/05, Nomis described how to remove the nuts (see attached picture), one at bottom of regulator guide (over the lower pulley), two at the top of the guide, and three for the motor.

My problem is that I can't back out the right upper guide bar bolt (with the upper pulley behind it) because the window behind it is in the way. It just doesn't flex enough. Window up or window down or window in mid-position.

Can someone tell me how to remove the trim and pull the window? Or point me to a thread?; my searching couldn't find one. This is probably real easy and obvious to some of you advanced guys, but I've pulled every screw I can find, and still can't get the trim and window out.

Thanks. 93 SC 400.

PS: I got my new regulator guide with pulleys and capstan from Carson; thanks for the good info! I needed a new one since one of the regulator fingers around the guide bar had broken; it was more than a JB weld repair of the bead that is embedded in the regulator.

I found the front one to be the hard one. I pushed it out first (using some force) with a screw driver, then the rest came easy. I'm on my way to a U Pull for another one, and plan to grind that bolt on the replacement to make installation (and future removal) easier.
Old 01-03-12, 12:10 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Also, thanks for the cleaning/lubricating tips!
That is probably JUST why the parts are prone to failure! After the SC3, my wife's Camry windows will get a good scrubbing and silicone in the rubber.
Old 01-05-12, 09:12 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replace it if you want, but it's totally unnecessary

There is no need to replace the nylon assembly just because the side tabs/wings have broken off.
Properly-placed screws surrounded with a plastic/nylon sleeve is all that's needed to keep the assembly on the track:

Old 06-05-12, 03:17 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome DIY.

Too bad my motor is bad. The regulator is in great shape, but the back side of it (with the gear) was all fubar'ed.

When I opened the cap a bunch of rubber like pieces came out
Old 06-11-12, 05:38 PM
mrgarrison
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to leave the regulator in place and swap the motor out? I have a motor but if possible I would like to just change that and not the whole assembly. Is that possible?
Old 06-23-12, 09:43 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

brian help! i cant get those two screws off the window! i was stuck there for like 20 minutes. whats the trick??
Old 06-23-12, 09:56 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Anyone knows why this happens? Is it from too much opening and closing, or being open too long and too often, etc.

Quick Reply: Window regulator fix for Sc models