SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1992 Lexus SC400 Price Check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 06:54 PM
jdmlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Lexus SC400 Price Check?

Been at this search for a sc, probably for 2 or so months now. Just came across a 1992 sc400, MINT interior as in no ripped seats( front and back ), no cracked dash etc, just driver window passenger regulator not working, which he has the part for + no oil leaks. 140k Miles, exterior is decent, one spot with fading clear coat but not insane. Registered till next year, he is open to considering a 3k ish offer. What do you guys think about this, tough to find a decent interior one anywhere else around me without going into the 7-8k range for a nice nice one. I understand that the sc400 didn't get the engine upgrade till 98? Big issue to be concerned about? AS for plans with the car, just want it as a daily driver as firstly the look is on another level to me, and I've heard the drive quality is quite nice, alongside the reliability. As for the reliability, I understand sc are notorious for going high miles if maintained of course, is there something to be concerned about in getting the 92 model, verus the newer ver of 98+? I also get that those are higher priced and what not, just rambling on at this point, slightly excited to check it out, let me know what y'all think!

*he also has gotten some paint that he says he has as he was planning on fixing up the clear coat peel, not sure how the process with all that goes, or if it needs to get fully stripped + repainted.
Old 01-24-21, 08:50 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

3k range sounds reasonable, especially if you say SC's are hard to come by in your area. The 92s are known to be a bit more stout than the late 98 vvti engines, the 92-94 have beefier connecting rods. There are high mileage examples of all though mind you, so if the oil looks good, engine sounds good, and everything else like the trans and power steering pump and rack check out, i would say ****** er up! But do inquire about the last timing belt change.Used car prices are skyrocketing due to the pandemic, and you will see decent SC's are few and far between. The clear coat fade can look way better with a product called lukat fixit, ive used it to make clear coat on my sc looks better, works very well.
Old 03-16-21, 08:32 AM
Brownd3max
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default reality price check?

I've been closely watching ACTUAL prices of SC400s for quite awhile now, as I've been in the market myself. I have to laugh when I read on here all the members who say you can pick one up for a couple or a few Grand, as they themselves have fell into good, clean examples for just a few Grand. Well, the reality that I've seen is, for an excellent example(clean, straight original body, lower miles, new TB/WP/PS pump, Alt., good interior, no leaks, all electrical working- basically no issues), you're gonna pay big-time! Sure, you can find a worn Beater for a few Grand, spend a few thousand getting it up-to-snuff, and be happy, but these cars are fetching premium prices. Yeah, occasionally someone luckily will stumble on a screaming deal- the owner is old, out of touch with the market, estate sale, etc.,etc., but the fact remains, to get a nicely-maintained, unmolested, fairly primo example will usually cost big bucks! Extreme price examples are frequently seen on BaT, and also some various "Stealerships" that specialize in these gems. To summarize, there are just as many for sale out there asking well over $10K+, as there are under $4-5K.It's crazy!.. Just my .02...

Last edited by Brownd3max; 03-16-21 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by Brownd3max:
EERIEDERRI (04-06-21), SC_coupe (03-17-21), XsSC400 (02-11-24)
Old 04-03-21, 09:44 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

I would agree with @Brownd3max my dealing with my coworker took some time as he actually wanted to give away his car to some chick, but wanted to sell it to me for $6k. After he and I jumped on the KBB and pulled out what it was worth, and it was about 6k for excellent SC400. He did have all stealership maintenance records including wp, tb, ps and other required follow up, but this deal took over a year as he was indecisive to let it go. Finally one day he came in and said 3k, as he started showing fluttering idle, so I brought him down to 2.5. And she is mine... Searching for similar examples but with more miles 190k+ were going for 10k+ at some dealerships. Have found examples of $3k+ with 220k miles or more, but require an overhaul inside and out since they've been run into the ground. Recently I'm starting to check again and the prices have appeared to double. The same run down one I saw 2 years ago recently popped up for 6K. I remember it cuz I took a screenshot with all its info. So, prices may be fairly consistent with a slight increase due to the used car market
The following users liked this post:
EERIEDERRI (04-06-21)
Old 04-06-21, 02:49 PM
EERIEDERRI
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

I’ve recently been in the market looking for my first SC and it seems like anything drivable is at least $4k. Anything with a clean interior and clean vehicle report looks to be >$7k and if it’s less than 100,000 miles it’s easily over $10 grand listing price too.

I’m currently interested in a 98 SC400 listed at a used car dealer listed for $9,000 but it has 180,000 miles and reports of minor damage & minor accident and I’m worried it won’t last me long, especially because I plan on using it as my daily driver and I don’t know the car’s full history to estimate if it’ll be problematic or not. It’s seemingly hard to find a clean SC in CA without dropping at near or over $10,000. I don’t want to spend more than the KBB value of my current car, an 08 RAV4 ~$8,000, so it might be a while before I can find the right deal on a clean and well maintained SC.

Last edited by EERIEDERRI; 04-06-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-06-21, 10:09 PM
Brownd3max
Pit Crew

EERIEDERRI - I hear ya. With these SC's becoming "cult classics", you have to be willing to pay for membership into the "Club". I too, was looking for a clean, well-cared-for example. Lots of beaters, but few pristine gems. Finally scored a near-perfect SC4 in Cali recently, and paid the price of admission. So it's like, just how bad do you want one? Personally, I'm thrilled to finally have mine parked in my garage. Patience will be rewarded LOL!
Rkscustoms (02-09-24)
Old 04-07-21, 10:55 AM
EERIEDERRI
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brownd3max
EERIEDERRI - I hear ya. With these SC's becoming "cult classics", you have to be willing to pay for membership into the "Club". I too, was looking for a clean, well-cared-for example. Lots of beaters, but few pristine gems. Finally scored a near-perfect SC4 in Cali recently, and paid the price of admission. So it's like, just how bad do you want one? Personally, I'm thrilled to finally have mine parked in my garage. Patience will be rewarded LOL!
Did you haggle over it or just pay his asking price? I saw your pics in another thread and it looks really nice, big fan of that color! I talked to someone who said they sold a good condition one just days ago for 5500 which was 3k under asking because he needed it gone fast — wish I had connected with him sooner, would have definitely offered higher than that. The 98-00 SC400 prices in particular are sky high but that 290 hp VVTI does look quite appealing 😎 Spoke with the used car dealer about the 98 but he admitted the body had some rust from its previous damages... going to steer clear. You’re not the first person to tell me patience will be rewarded as it comes to finding the right SC to buy too, luckily I can afford to wait for the right deal too.

Old 04-07-21, 12:43 PM
Brownd3max
Pit Crew

EERIE... Yeah, I haggled alot, and almost even jeopardized the whole deal. I tried my damnest to find faults and defects under, over, inside or out, and could only get $600 off for the cracked windshield. The dude knew what he had, and being a car enthusiast guy, I couldn't grind him down another dollar. But I'm still tickled *****less about getting it in the end. LOL!
EERIEDERRI (04-07-21)
Old 02-09-24, 10:02 AM
Rkscustoms
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 92 sc400

Originally Posted by jdmlover
Been at this search for a sc, probably for 2 or so months now. Just came across a 1992 sc400, MINT interior as in no ripped seats( front and back ), no cracked dash etc, just driver window passenger regulator not working, which he has the part for + no oil leaks. 140k Miles, exterior is decent, one spot with fading clear coat but not insane. Registered till next year, he is open to considering a 3k ish offer. What do you guys think about this, tough to find a decent interior one anywhere else around me without going into the 7-8k range for a nice nice one. I understand that the sc400 didn't get the engine upgrade till 98? Big issue to be concerned about? AS for plans with the car, just want it as a daily driver as firstly the look is on another level to me, and I've heard the drive quality is quite nice, alongside the reliability. As for the reliability, I understand sc are notorious for going high miles if maintained of course, is there something to be concerned about in getting the 92 model, verus the newer ver of 98+? I also get that those are higher priced and what not, just rambling on at this point, slightly excited to check it out, let me know what y'all think!

*he also has gotten some paint that he says he has as he was planning on fixing up the clear coat peel, not sure how the process with all that goes, or if it needs to get fully stripped + repainted.
wanted to chime in here since I just bought a 92 Sc400 (last week ) . I like most of you have been searching for a clean one for a bit . I got lucky and was the first to contact the seller (Craigslist ) here in San Diego . When I say lucky I mean lucky . I am the second owner 100 percent original never wrecked garage kept dealership maintained its whole life ( folder with every receipt and original dealer window sticker even ). It’s for some clear coat issues on the front not that bad and on the top of the rear spoiler again not that bad . Timing belt replaced at 90,000 miles (currently showing 150,000) interior is I would say 8 outta ten top of rear seat stitching split a bit . The standard issue of the climate control screen black and rpm Speedo and temp gauge needles are black . Hood doesn’t stay up on its own of course , easy fix . Other than that everything is good . Clean title and dmv report . Her son sold to me and I picked it up for 6k . Oh and no oil leaks and water pump is only a year old . Didn’t even haggle on asking price felt it was a very fair price . Not sure this helps but wanted to chime in as I said think I got very lucky seeing others cheaper but some way higher priced .. ✌️
The following 2 users liked this post by Rkscustoms:
Barbary (02-09-24), Bimmerbill (02-10-24)