SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ebay headlights clear lens retro

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 11:34 AM
sc300nah
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ebay headlights clear lens retro

Hello all, I have looked and as many have not found a clear answer to how to take the lens off the ebay and retro onto oem. So I decided to test it out myself. Ive tried to deline them, cut and use plexiglass and failed. I could've been successful with the plexiglass trick but again, idk about the quality.
Of course, get ebay headlights
I wanted like a corvette look so I sprayed my middle plate pearl white!! But those lines did not do much justice.

After I got the ebay headlights the first thing was obvious, there are no screws in the back except to hold the bracket on the bottom.
Oh, there is plenty of info out there on how to open up your headlights. I did 270 for 7 mins in the oven.
Did the same with the ebay headlights and it worked out fine.

GIVE ME THAT LENS!!!!
Anyways so while lining up I encountered where the lens was hitting the middle housing in the far end so drew a line with a pencil and got my dremel out and grinded bits out.

Im still in the middle of this and probably need to grind a little more, have not sealed it back up.
Also, I need some input on why the headlights are sitting weird after everything is lined up.
HELP!!!

BUT HERE IS WHAT THE FINAL PRODUCT SHOULD LOOK LIKE?

Old 06-19-21, 07:48 PM
sc300nah
Driver School Candidate

Mad as heck, but fixed it. I noticed the far end of the actual lens hitting and not going in, and decided to trim it. no going back now and I swear I didn't cut that much off but man I was mad to find out I cut way too much off. I was initially going to seal most of it up and use fiberglass to cover that area but I just added more of the sealant glue in those areas and when they came back out of the oven I spreaded it out to fill all the gaps. below are pics of my f*^# up. I got some additional sealant around them, and will post those pics tomorrow

as they are drying.
The following users liked this post:
perfctreig (06-21-21)
Old 06-20-21, 08:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Those will look so good once they’re complete. That’s really interesting that the lenses doesn’t seem to fit as well. It makes me wonder how other people did this back in the day to make it work.

I really like the white housings. It reminds me of the C6 Corvette.
sc300nah (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 11:42 AM
sc300nah
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if the headlight back then were different but they are def not the right size today. I lined up the ebay ones before I did my left side and it comes short to filling up that gap.

I think I have a plan for that once I get ready to install. Got the other end done and I grinded instead of cutting. But as im finding out they are just a tad bit smaller in size then the OEM ones. But enough moromito sealant glue and going around it with some additional silicon seal will def work.

LOL I cant give you all a step by step or do this and make sure to do that. All I can tell you that if you have enough interest in this project, you will figure it out.

Roughly fitted to the car with lights on below.

I CURRENTLY HAVE THE HALOGEN SIDE SIGNAL BULB, AND WILL GET LED.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A WAY TO HAVE YOUR TURN SIGNAL STEADY ON AND BLINK WHEN YOU USE THE TURN SIGNAL??
Old 06-21-21, 07:25 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Man I LOVE the color matched housings! Can't wait to see these come together.
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-21-21, 10:39 AM
SuperWRM
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks incredible! Nice work so far!
I might have missed it, but the Ebay lenses are just a tad too small for the OEM housing? or do they attach differently to the Ebay housing?
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-21-21, 09:07 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

That looks great with the lights on. I love the white headlight housing a lot.
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-21-21, 10:03 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I attempted this over a decade ago, and I could never get it to work like OEM. The lens doesn't line up properly, so you're constantly trimming it to make it work. On top of that getting it to seal is a nightmare in itself.

I got lucky and found some supermade lenses and threw the ebay ones in the trash. The supermades have been discontinued for over a decade too, so the closest option to that now, is sending them to OG status.

For the side light, it can be converted to be always on and signal. You'll need a donor harness from another SC to depin, then install the 3rd wire into the factory bulb holder. Tap that wire into the city light and you'll be good to go. I have Lasfit switchback LED in mine.
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-22-21, 12:49 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
For the side light, it can be converted to be always on and signal. You'll need a donor harness from another SC to depin, then install the 3rd wire into the factory bulb holder. Tap that wire into the city light and you'll be good to go. I have Lasfit switchback LED in mine.
Message Tyeler Uttenreuther on facebook. He makes plug and play adapter harnesses to convert the turnsignals to dual filament. And if you don't want the complete harness, he can sell you the pinned wires to put into the factory dual filament socket and you can do the wiring yourself.
I prototyped his kit before he started selling them
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-22-21, 06:22 PM
roc
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying this out with a set of egay lights I had laying around,didn’t run into that much issue as the guy who started the thread.it went really smooth just need to dremel the corners a tad bit.

Trying this out right now .wasn’t that much of work to do
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-22-21, 10:16 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some help for you guys doing the ebay retrofit..... the lens is NOT suppose to touch the fender the gap you have in the above picture is suppose to be there and is filled by rubber from factory. remove the rubber from the OEM lens and glue it to the fender using adhesive it should fill the gap.
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-23-21, 08:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
Some help for you guys doing the ebay retrofit..... the lens is NOT suppose to touch the fender the gap you have in the above picture is suppose to be there and is filled by rubber from factory. remove the rubber from the OEM lens and glue it to the fender using adhesive it should fill the gap.
That’s a good point. One of my original headlights is missing the rubber trim and I have a good sized gap. It drove me crazy for years.
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-23-21, 10:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300nah
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A WAY TO HAVE YOUR TURN SIGNAL STEADY ON AND BLINK WHEN YOU USE THE TURN SIGNAL??
Please fix your caps lock key

This will do what you want it's designed for brake/turn signal but you can feed it running light power and it will do the same thing.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/tail-a...odule-diy.html
sc300nah (06-29-21)
Old 06-29-21, 05:02 PM
sc300nah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuperWRM
This looks incredible! Nice work so far!
I might have missed it, but the Ebay lenses are just a tad too small for the OEM housing? or do they attach differently to the Ebay housing?
They are a tad bit smaller hence different. U will def have to grind out the inner plate or whatever it's called on the far edges..
Old 06-29-21, 05:05 PM
sc300nah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roc

Trying this out with a set of egay lights I had laying around,didn’t run into that much issue as the guy who started the thread.it went really smooth just need to dremel the corners a tad bit.

Trying this out right now .wasn’t that much of work to do
Glad it worked out for u easier!! Maybe the crime ones are the correct fit!! 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️