OfferUp
Cars and Bids
CarGurus
Autotrader
Ebay Motors
Craigslist
Bring a trailer
Other sketchy websites.

Hoping to find something clean, but these used car prices aren’t helping.
Old 07-21-21, 11:26 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

You've been looking though many of the main listing venues. Also add Clublexus marketplace to your list in case a car pops up.

Given that these were rare already throughout the regular production of the SC300 from 1992-1997 making up a little more than 5% of all SC's of that generation you've just got to keep looking as you have been. There were only ever 3,883 original SC300 5-speeds produced during those model years with less still remaining today. Sometimes the examples you will find in your area will be in great shape and sometimes the examples will need considerable TLC. It really just depends on what original 5-speeds are on sale at any given time as they have all led different lives up to this point.

You can also build your own manual SC300 from an automatic version as the transmission options and combination of OEM parts and some aftermarket manual conversion parts can all aid in this today.

If you're determined to find one, keep looking and don't give up. Widen your search area a bit more and give even some rough original 5-speed cars a good evaluation before passing. If the body has no accident damage, rust, flood damage or any other truly major issue that would prevent its restoration usually what you will find are mostly stock examples that need cosmetic TLC and some of the most common repairs and maintenance or original examples that have been boosted or driven hard.

It really depends on a case by case basis but I occasionally still see original 5-speed SC300's in reasonably good condition come up for sale every so often depending on location. Perfect and super low mileage examples or 1997 5-speeds are what you would be extremely lucky to come across.

Holding out for an original or building your own with the current level of aftermarket support you have options. I hope this helps a bit. Don't give up and keep looking!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-22-21 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Typing my post late at night I misquoted the number of factory 5-speeds by mistake. Corrected to: 3,883 original cars.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 08:24 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

In the past, I've had luck searching AutoTempest. It encompasses many of the sites above. I just did a search and did not find a manual SC300 within1500 miles of me at this time.

http://www.autotempest.com/results?m...=man&zip=90027
Lexus SC 300 - AutoTempest.com
Old 07-22-21, 08:45 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Given that these were rare already throughout the regular production of the SC300 from 1992-1997 making up a little more than 5% of all SC's of that generation you've just got to keep looking as you have been. There were only ever 4,883 original SC300 5-speeds produced during those model years
Correction: 3,883 (4.7%).

I see maybe one a year pop up on craigslist, although very few SC's are showing up for sale there period nowadays. (Most car stuff has moved over to facebook marketplace now that craigslist is charging for that category.) But, I did see a factory 5-spd this year on craigslist, so they do still come around occasionally if you're patient.

Of note, I think it was the same '92 white hardtop that's been up for sale twice previously in recent years, owned by the guy I bought my '95 5-spd from. I suspect the 5-spd's either change hands frequently, or owners never let them go.
KahnBB6 (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 09:07 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer3
Anyone know any other way to source a manual sc300? I’ve looked through

Facebook
OfferUp
Cars and Bids
CarGurus
Autotrader
Ebay Motors
Craigslist
Bring a trailer
Other sketchy websites.

Hoping to find something clean, but these used car prices aren’t helping.
I'd add cars.com. 300s are rare obviously but I see 400s on here from time to time.
Old 07-23-21, 12:00 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by t2d2
Correction: 3,883 (4.7%).
Thanks for the catch, t2d2! I was typing my post late and on fumes

I have indeed noticed a significant increase in SC300 and SC400 listings on Facebook recently. The condition and history of each example varies. I wasn't aware that Craigslist now charges for vehicle for sale listings. I guess that does explain the shift. I haven't been actively looking at any listings and I've been out of the loop in that regard (Facebook tends to just throw FS ads up randomly in the newsfeed).
Old 07-23-21, 07:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Thanks for the catch, t2d2! I was typing my post late and on fumes
Fumes are good enough to get three out of the four digits right.

I wasn't aware that Craigslist now charges for vehicle for sale listings. I guess that does explain the shift. I haven't been actively looking at any listings and I've been out of the loop in that regard (Facebook tends to just throw FS ads up randomly in the newsfeed).
It's a matter of choosing between the lesser of two awfuls...

CL (not this CL) completely shot themselves in the foot. Not only are far fewer people selling cars there now, but that also seemed to significantly drop the number of people browsing there. (Less supply, less interest.) I sold a couple cars around the period that change took place, and it was total crickets on CL, while the same vehicles drew a fair bit of interest on FB. To make matters worse for sellers, not only do you have to pay to list, but you get less for your paid listing than you did before for a free one. You can no longer "renew" ads to keep them fresh atop the listings. You have to pay $5 (the listing fee) again each time. Of course, they don't tell you that up front. The only silver lining is, there's so few listings now, you don't sink to the bottom as quick as you would in other categories.

FB's main issue is they're trying to be a brilliant Google-like algorithm, but they lack basic common sense. They can't do something as simple as not filling the "within X miles" filter with non-local stuff. (I think it's intentional, as it started becoming a big issue shortly before they went full-marketplace. They're trying to convert their massive membership into a paying one.) Searches are borderline useless, as it heavily populates the results with non-local listings. I basically only use it now to browse, letting the algorithm find possibly similar things of interest to what I've looked at previously. (I have no idea why it keeps showing me ads of cute ladies modeling clothes for sale!) And, being FB, they can't stop changing the interface constantly, and usually not for the better.
KahnBB6 (07-24-21)
Old 07-23-21, 08:05 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Fumes are good enough to get three out of the four digits right.

It's a matter of choosing between the lesser of two awfuls...

CL (not this CL) completely shot themselves in the foot. Not only are far fewer people selling cars there now, but that also seemed to significantly drop the number of people browsing there. (Less supply, less interest.) I sold a couple cars around the period that change took place, and it was total crickets on CL, while the same vehicles drew a fair bit of interest on FB. To make matters worse for sellers, not only do you have to pay to list, but you get less for your paid listing than you did before for a free one. You can no longer "renew" ads to keep them fresh atop the listings. You have to pay $5 (the listing fee) again each time. Of course, they don't tell you that up front. The only silver lining is, there's so few listings now, you don't sink to the bottom as quick as you would in other categories.

FB's main issue is they're trying to be a brilliant Google-like algorithm, but they lack basic common sense. They can't do something as simple as not filling the "within X miles" filter with non-local stuff. (I think it's intentional, as it started becoming a big issue shortly before they went full-marketplace. They're trying to convert their massive membership into a paying one.) Searches are borderline useless, as it heavily populates the results with non-local listings. I basically only use it now to browse, letting the algorithm find possibly similar things of interest to what I've looked at previously. (I have no idea why it keeps showing me ads of cute ladies modeling clothes for sale!) And, being FB, they can't stop changing the interface constantly, and usually not for the better.
Couldn't agree more on this, FB has horrible marketplace functionality. The search is a joke and sorting by price works for like half the page then the prices go all over the place again.
The default sort is "recommended", wtf, people who paid first I guess?
Terrible.
Old 07-23-21, 08:12 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sqlboy2000
Couldn't agree more on this, FB has horrible marketplace functionality. The search is a joke and sorting by price works for like half the page then the prices go all over the place again.
The default sort is "recommended", wtf, people who paid first I guess?
Terrible.
Apparently, it's only marginally better for non-local sellers. I bought one thing just to see what the buying experience is like on there now, and it turns out sellers have very little control over what it shows for shipping. FB uses some bizarrely inaccurate flat shipping figure. It's like all the car ads you see on there where the description says the actual price because the system wouldn't let them input it correctly in the price field. Again, the system is trying to be too smart for its own good.
Old 07-24-21, 02:50 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ Based on all of the above and primarily because it's *Facebook* I highly doubt I'll initiate a used vehicle purchase through their social media service.

Although rather by chance (but is it really chance in this age of algorithms interacting with user profiles on every platform?) I stumbled into a few car "for sale" groups on Facebook ranging from SC's to Soarers to Nissan R32-34 Skylines to vintage air cooled Porsche 911's, etc. If I'm going to actively look for any vintage car to buy the last place I'm going to begin my search is through Facebook... but I do find it interesting that the popularity of listing there has sharply increased recently.

The ads there are interesting to look at though. On another note someone in one of those groups recently had a PopFormance LXCC for the SC300/400/Soarer for sale or was looking for one. I chimed in with some information about it and one user said something to the effect of "I remember when those were talked about a lot back when ClubLexus used to be the place to go for all the info."

I have to say that I was both dismayed at his comment and at the same time laughing. The level of accurate information on these cars versus inaccurate and very misinformed information there (on FB) is very hit and miss whereas here we try hard to make sure information on wide ranges of topics remains accurate. Plus here you can search and actually find information repeatably. By design Facebook makes it damn near impossible to search and find old discussion "threads" on any topic at all... even on your own FB user timeline.

So yeah... it's a little weird to me that Facebook has now become a new place to list used specialty and vintage vehicles for sale. It's one of the worst interfaces around for that unless any interest and sale exists in an extremely short term (ie: so many people happen to see the listing randomly in their newsfeed based on how soon the algorithm decides to show it to them... but you cannot search back very far into the group that it was posted in if it sees frequent posts of any kind).

Craigslist certainly has shot themselves in the foot. There's also old reliable Autotrader but I'm not sure how popular that is today given that it was always a pricey option for sellers. As much as I get annoyed with youtube project car channels shilling for Autotempest maybe that one is actually a good option at the current time.

If I were in the market for another SC however I'd always check here first and periodically since there will be a better chance that the seller and their car will be known within the SC/CL community.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-24-21 at 03:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (07-25-21), BlackIRON (07-24-21), ThomasGS4 (07-24-21)
Old 07-24-21, 07:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Although rather by chance (but is it really chance in this age of algorithms interacting with user profiles on every platform?) I stumbled into a few car "for sale" groups on Facebook...
Definitely not by chance. They're completely shameless in their tracking, be it private messaging on fb or what you view offsite. Just last night, I viewed a planer (for the first time I can remember) on CL while browsing the tools category. This morning, guess what popped up near the top of FB marketplace? Yep, you guessed it, a planer. There are browser plug-ins to supposedly address that tracking, but I haven't looked into how well they work or if there are any usability trade-offs.

I have to say that I was both dismayed at his comment and at the same time laughing. The level of accurate information on these cars versus inaccurate and very misinformed information there (on FB) is very hit and miss...
Quite simply, social media (and closely tied in, mobile devices) is killing everything. Ironically, the people who value an old school message board are probably now more of a niche group than those dealing in vintage project cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by t2d2:
Bimmerbill (07-25-21), KahnBB6 (07-25-21)
Old 07-25-21, 10:27 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I had something even more troublesome happen to me the other day. I was at a friends barbequing and they had a meat temperature probe that I thought was really cool. I took a picture of it only. No search, nothing other than that one picture on my phone. The exact item came up while browsing on facebook the next day. I mean exact. I had not searched for anything like that in the past. I don't believe in remote coincidences. The mf's are searching and tracking my pictures. I am almost of the attitude to go off the grid when that kind of stuff happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
bron_karr (04-26-23), scsexy (08-19-21)
Old 07-25-21, 10:42 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I had something even more troublesome happen to me the other day. I was at a friends barbequing and they had a meat temperature probe that I thought was really cool. I took a picture of it only. No search, nothing other than that one picture on my phone. The exact item came up while browsing on facebook the next day. I mean exact. I had not searched for anything like that in the past. I don't believe in remote coincidences. The mf's are searching and tracking my pictures. I am almost of the attitude to go off the grid when that kind of stuff happens.
That's one of the reasons I view smartphones as evil. Maybe look into the new wave of Linux phones with manual switches for things like wifi, camera, and mic? They're not quite ready for mainstream yet, but the direction is hopeful. I'm considering going dark myself, with the forced 4G/5G upgrades.

[Edit: corrected the details and chronology of the story...]

I had a similarly weird thing happen maybe two years ago. I was driving with my nephew and saw some funky alien mannequins a block from his house, out on the curb, and made some comment about them. A day or so later, they showed up on FB marketplace as a suggested item of interest...definitely nothing I would have searched for previously to trigger the similarities algorithm. The only thing I can figure is, his phone's mic was actively picking up the conversation and FB is capable of monitoring that, along with a GPS tie-in, presumably. My phone and car have no tech that could have been to blame.

I won't buy anything with "smart" in the name. (Reading up on the Linux phones is actually interesting in that it highlights how much privacy you're allowing to be sold via mainstream products to subsidize their true cost.) Not that that helps much, with everyone else around me loading up on such products.

Last edited by t2d2; 07-25-21 at 12:43 PM.
RXRodger (07-25-21)
Old 08-19-21, 06:12 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by disby
did you try the website called manuals? they had the biggest choice of all the manuals in pdf format from my experience. Not sure if they have exactly this model but definitely worth checking. Out of curiosity: where did you search for manual on facebook? Are there some new features i didn't hear about?
lol everything info wise for our cars if available for free on forums or facebook with a quick google search
Old 08-19-21, 06:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by disby
did you try the website called manuals? they had the biggest choice of all the manuals in pdf format from my experience. Not sure if they have exactly this model but definitely worth checking. Out of curiosity: where did you search for manual on facebook? Are there some new features i didn't hear about?
Originally Posted by scsexy
lol everything info wise for our cars if available for free on forums or facebook with a quick google search
You both realize he is looking for a manual (5-speed) SC, not a service or technical manual. Right?
perfctreig (08-19-21)

Quick Reply: Need help sourcing a manual sc300