SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rusted Undercarriage, looking at buying.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 10:13 AM
ccconor
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rusted Undercarriage, looking at buying.

I’m currently looking at buying a SC400 from Chicago and as y’all know, they have their rust issues. I got photos of the bottom of the car i’m looking at, and it’s quite rusted. I was wondering if you guys could look at it and tell me if it’s an absolute no go, or possibly worth it?

Old 10-05-21, 10:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I'm gonna give that a big negative... Unless you're willing to pay shops extra to work on something that's going to drive them insane. My car's a little rough underneath but nothing like this. Anyone else think I'm being a little too harsh?
The following 3 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (10-05-21), KahnBB6 (10-05-21), LeX2K (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 11:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If you are trying to find a clean one to keep for a long time, try and look a little further out or maybe even travel to buy one.
That car would take so much time to treat the rust, and everything will break when you try and remove it including those rusted fuel lines at the fuel filter.
There are probably areas you can't see that are worse, usually the front radiator core support will look bad also.
I can't think of a price where I would buy that car, likely whoever let it get in that condition will be the last owner of it
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 12:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Anyone else think I'm being a little too harsh?
Heck no. As mentioned want a nice car be willing to travel and buy from a non rusts best area. It may seem like more work initially but over the long term it pays off many fold.
Old 10-05-21, 05:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

That looks really nasty! I wouldn’t touch it at all.
Old 10-05-21, 08:23 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Unless you want to get into putting that car up on jackstands, dismantling every part of the undercarriage and restoring the rusty parts of the shell's underside and every suspension component I have to agree with everyone else on a hard no. You CAN probably restore it with enough time and effort but as Ali SC3 said there is probably significant rust in areas that you can't currently see. A full body restoration might be in order to get it all right. It makes me sad to see but I also recommend looking for another example in far better condition.
Old 10-05-21, 11:14 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm gonna say a hard pass on that unless the guy is selling it for like $500
Old 10-06-21, 05:52 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

V, I believe $500 would be high.
Old 10-06-21, 08:20 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It depends on the asking price and your plans with the car. If you just want it to get from point A to B and do not want to put any more than the absolute minimum in it to keep it safe and roadworthy it could be a good buy if very cheap. I would say completely pass if you intend to keep it a long time and want to restore it because you will never win against the rust. If the interior is immaculate, wheels/tire great, headlights clean, etc...it could be a great parts car for when the right one comes along but is in need of some misc things. Changeover what you want and donate it to charity at that point. I have been looking to buy a crashed, burned, rusted, etc but with great seats...97+ SC for 3 years to swap into my 98.

Old 10-06-21, 07:02 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Did he send you any pics of the front subframe? Because that tends to rust faster than the rear subframe. Especially here in Chicago.
If you plans are to buy a starter car to see what it's like to own a SC, this will suffice. However if you intend to keep it or build one for power or drifting, I can tell you right now everything that's rusted will need to be replaced with brand new OEM or aftermarket parts. It will need a new rear subframe eventually (that looks like it won't hold 3x stock power and I don't think it can be saved). Everything else you see minus the actual body will need to be bought new. Shocks, control arms, bolts, nuts, swaybar, subframe mounts, exhaust. Things like the subframes and exhaust hangars will need but be bought off people parting out cars..
As a Chicago native, I can tell you this is not the worse SC I've seen people dump 10k into, but I can tell you honestly that all that rust is going to cause horrible problems with replacing parts. And in these pics the surface rust on the body doesn't LOOK too bad for a Chicago car. But I gotta warn you, Chicago SC prices tend to be a bit inflated vs other states. A car that's cheap as hell in southern Indiana or Ohio tends to be $1000 more here in Chicago just because there's more people willing to pay
Old 10-07-21, 12:38 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Can't say I would think its worth spending the thousands of dollars in restoration, but if i was planning on beating the crap out of the car and junking it in 2-3 years and it cost a few hundred dollars.. I might just drive it and not care.
Old 10-07-21, 01:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

What's crazy to me seeing this kind of rust on any SC300/400 or Soarer is that it still happens despite all of these cars having their steel bodies galvanized from the factory. Not many cars get that treatment during manufacturing but the SC/Soarer did. And still some unlucky examples can develop rust like this. I've never kept a car in a state that uses road salt during the winter but I assume that must have something to do with it.
Old 10-09-21, 07:09 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If it has good body panels (unlikely) and an immaculate interior (probably also unlikely), if you could get it for $200-$400, it might make a good donor car for something with a better structure but lacking in the other areas. But, that will require a lot of work and parts swapping (AKA free time).

If it were me, I'd pay more and look further out for a cleaner example. It will be better in the long run. But, never hurts to really lowball and see what happens.
Old 10-20-21, 06:32 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

First I’m not an SC guy, (looking to get one my self) but I agree with some opinions on here. It depends on what you intend to do with the car and how much the owner wants.
With that being said, if your willing to put in the work and you have a high skill level and you can get it for cheap. I think you can make it happen but again it depends on what I previously stated.
to give you an example I brought a GS back from the dead. It was rusted pretty badly in some places but since I know how to weld I cut out the bad spots and welded in new/replacement panels, I got the car for real cheap so it was worth it to me. For the other rusted parts I either sandblasted or chemically removed the rust. But I was fortunate enough that the damage was superficial. Despite popular belief rust can be eliminated if removed and the remaining metal is sealed properly.
But I will agree that you may need a donor car also.
Somethings you cant bring back like that subframe AliSC3 was talking about if it has lost too much metal from rust the you must replace it. It wouldn’t be worth rebuilding.
good luck.