Interior window trim colors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 05:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I agree that injection molding or custom carbon fiber or fiberglass reproductions of these trim pieces are probably going to be superior to a 3D printed example. I have one good spare RH and one pretty terrible spare LH example in storage. I figured at some point one of them or the ones on the car would need to be used as a template for such a process.

The two companies that I had researched previously for parts reproduction are:
https://srm-industries.com/engineeri...e-engineering/

And (for potential reproduced OEM rubber parts and seals):
https://www.elastoproxy.com/reverse-...-rubber-parts/

I have not approached either of them but both seemed to be skilled in different specialties that involve older car reproduction parts.
Thanks for the links! I bet they could make what we need.

Which rubber parts and seals would you want reproduced?
Old 10-20-21, 05:30 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Thanks for the links! I bet they could make what we need.

Which rubber parts and seals would you want reproduced?
Oof. I would have to check my master list of part numbers. I went to great lengths over the last 4-5 years to get a spare of almost every major OEM seal on the SC. Only a couple of them were out of production by the time I got enough but I would have to run the most relevant part numbers again to see.

One hurdle is that some seal parts are metal infused. I'm not sure how easily something like the lower outer window seals are to reproduce but those do need replacing on some cars eventually.

I think the best course of action would be to form a list of the major seals on these cars which do tend to go bad more than others. Those would be the ones I'd focus on for reproduction.

At least one of those companies doesn't need a stupidly high number of minimum orders but however you slice it getting any one rubber seal part reproduced would be a big group buy through a single purchaser.

I suspect this is only slightly different from what Toyota and Nissan are doing with some of the reproduced parts for their respective Skyline GT-R and Supra MKIII and MKIV "Heritage Parts" programs.... except that it's far easier for a major automaker to do this than an enthusiast community.

Still...! I'm all for it since I don't see Toyota, Lexus or any other company stepping up yet.

Also in some cases doing 3D laser scanning of long discontinued and obscure plastic or metal parts is probably the closest the SC community will ever get to having renewed availability of some trim pieces and small interior parts. We're already seeing that happen now in fact here and there.
Old 10-20-21, 05:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Oof. I would have to check my master list of part numbers. I went to great lengths over the last 4-5 years to get a spare of almost every major OEM seal on the SC. Only a couple of them were out of production by the time I got enough but I would have to run the most relevant part numbers again to see.

One hurdle is that some seal parts are metal infused. I'm not sure how easily something like the lower outer window seals are to reproduce but those do need replacing on some cars eventually.

I think the best course of action would be to form a list of the major seals on these cars which do tend to go bad more than others. Those would be the ones I'd focus on for reproduction.

At least one of those companies doesn't need a stupidly high number of minimum orders but however you slice it getting any one rubber seal part reproduced would be a big group buy through a single purchaser.

I suspect this is only slightly different from what Toyota and Nissan are doing with some of the reproduced parts for their respective Skyline GT-R and Supra MKIII and MKIV "Heritage Parts" programs.... except that it's far easier for a major automaker to do this than an enthusiast community.

Still...! I'm all for it since I don't see Toyota, Lexus or any other company stepping up yet.
Ooh that’s an interesting point about the metal infused parts. If we eventually get a big list together and get everything produced someday, our SC’s should last forever.

It would be so much easier if Toyota would add the SC/Soarer to their program. There’s so many old Lexus in great shape running around that I’m sure people would still buy parts for. I used to see a lot of mint condition, low mileage 90’s and early 00’s cars when I worked for a Lexus dealership. There were a few parts I tried to order for my SC300 and GS300, but they were discontinued or could no longer be ordered.
Old 10-21-21, 01:05 AM
KahnBB6

Ooh that’s an interesting point about the metal infused parts. If we eventually get a big list together and get everything produced someday, our SC’s should last forever.

It would be so much easier if Toyota would add the SC/Soarer to their program. There’s so many old Lexus in great shape running around that I’m sure people would still buy parts for. I used to see a lot of mint condition, low mileage 90’s and early 00’s cars when I worked for a Lexus dealership. There were a few parts I tried to order for my SC300 and GS300, but they were discontinued or could no longer be ordered.
I wish the Soarer and SC300/400 would be added to the program as well. Somehow I think the AW11 and SW20 MR-2's and the Celica GT-Four ST165/185/205 and original AE86 will be added before that happens... but the Soarer shares so much with the MKIV we can hope.

For now we seem to be doing well on many fronts if owners know the specialty companies to go to. It's things like body panels, weather stripping and other Z30-specific body parts that are my largest concern more than driveline and suspension parts (though anything factory reproduced is welcome).

I've got a huge file of part numbers for all sorts of things that I use. It's so full of notes and part numbers that it is impossible to read all the way through... I have to search for keywords or key part numbers to find anything in it now. I'm so busy otherwise that I'm never going to reorganize it. However I'll pull whatever from it may help.

To that end I think if that is to be a thing we should take this discussion to the previous thread that was vaguely about reproducing OEM parts. I can't remember the title offhand.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...+printed+SC300
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (10-21-21)
Old 10-22-21, 08:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

I wish the Soarer and SC300/400 would be added to the program as well. Somehow I think the AW11 and SW20 MR-2's and the Celica GT-Four ST165/185/205 and original AE86 will be added before that happens... but the Soarer shares so much with the MKIV we can hope.

For now we seem to be doing well on many fronts if owners know the specialty companies to go to. It's things like body panels, weather stripping and other Z30-specific body parts that are my largest concern more than driveline and suspension parts (though anything factory reproduced is welcome).

I've got a huge file of part numbers for all sorts of things that I use. It's so full of notes and part numbers that it is impossible to read all the way through... I have to search for keywords or key part numbers to find anything in it now. I'm so busy otherwise that I'm never going to reorganize it. However I'll pull whatever from it may help.

To that end I think if that is to be a thing we should take this discussion to the previous thread that was vaguely about reproducing OEM parts. I can't remember the title offhand.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...+printed+SC300
I think you’re right about those cars probably getting added to the program first. Those cars seem to have a bigger following.

I was thinking of body parts recently. I was considering selling my 97+ body kit and fenders once I can afford the new body kit and fenders I want. Then I started thinking about how much harder it is to get these parts compared to ten years ago and I should hang onto them. The local SC guys are always interested in buying my parts but they’re getting too hard to replace. It would be awesome if we could get body panels reproduced, as well as weather stripping like you mentioned. It would be a game changer.

I’ll post in the other thread too.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-22-21)
Old 10-22-21, 11:56 PM
KahnBB6

I think you’re right about those cars probably getting added to the program first. Those cars seem to have a bigger following.

I was thinking of body parts recently. I was considering selling my 97+ body kit and fenders once I can afford the new body kit and fenders I want. Then I started thinking about how much harder it is to get these parts compared to ten years ago and I should hang onto them. The local SC guys are always interested in buying my parts but they’re getting too hard to replace. It would be awesome if we could get body panels reproduced, as well as weather stripping like you mentioned. It would be a game changer.

I’ll post in the other thread too.
Kira, you're interested in the 97+ body kit parts and yet I have always found this to be a good thing for me since I love the 92-96 body kit parts... with the exception of the OEM 97-00 front bumper which I like the most WITH the early style body pieces, lol

I agree that it is probably even harder to find good examples used if you wanted them. I've seen this trend increase across the board over the last ten years. To that end I'd say if you want to use those 97+ parts it's best to enjoy them as you like. There seems to be no shortage of polyurethane body kits for SC's these days but nothing is ever quite an exact replica of the factory original shapes.

Getting body parts and rubber weatherstripping reproduced certainly would be a help to us. My long term goal for body panels is to find another SC just to keep around to take metal panels from if I ever need to.
Old 10-23-21, 07:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Kira, you're interested in the 97+ body kit parts and yet I have always found this to be a good thing for me since I love the 92-96 body kit parts... with the exception of the OEM 97-00 front bumper which I like the most WITH the early style body pieces, lol

I agree that it is probably even harder to find good examples used if you wanted them. I've seen this trend increase across the board over the last ten years. To that end I'd say if you want to use those 97+ parts it's best to enjoy them as you like. There seems to be no shortage of polyurethane body kits for SC's these days but nothing is ever quite an exact replica of the factory original shapes.

Getting body parts and rubber weatherstripping reproduced certainly would be a help to us. My long term goal for body panels is to find another SC just to keep around to take metal panels from if I ever need to.
I really wanted the 97 kit back in the day since most of the local SC’s were 92-94’s and wanted standout from the others. I still love the 92-94 look and want to get a mint condition 92-96 SC/Soarer to leave stock someday. I plan to get the KBD Auto Couture replica kit since it’s made of polyurethane.

You’re right about it being harder to get these parts now. I noticed this as well over the past few years. I’ve been buying up clean parts I find at my local junkyards for the past three years.

The idea of getting another SC to use for parts like you mentioned is a great idea. Plus an extra set of weatherstripping as well and an extra interior.