SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: What size rims do you have on your car?
16"
22.63%
17"
19.75%
18"
31.69%
19"
20.58%
20"
5.35%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

What size rims do you have on your SC300/400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 09:58 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awj one thing is that most of the time a quality wheel like volk doesn't bend as easily as other rims. it's especially more important when you go bigger rim sizes... as you know the bigger they are the easier they bend.
Old 10-16-03, 12:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by awj
I'm curious what differentiates a quality wheel from a not quality wheel. Is it price, opinion, or build? It seems to be price on this forum.

Ouch, hope you don't think me that shallow. For me function must come before form....strength, light weight, overall quality and finish. You will pay more for a forged wheel because it costs more to manufacture. You will pay more for multi-piece construction because it costs more to manufacture. There are a million other things to consider....such as available diameters, widths, and offsets...of which there are generally far more selections from the quality wheel companies, they don't have a one size fits all mentality awj. Then you can take it a step further, companies like HRE who will basically build the wheel to suit the end user, a service such as this cannot be so easily 'pricetagged,' many ppl find it invaluable. Kinesis for instance are very high quality, their rotary forging process creates a wheel with very uniform strength throughout. Volk also has very high tech forging....but quality means things like a little old Japanese man afixing the Volk decals to the spokes by hand, not by machine. He must have one real steady hand. Talk to guys like Dusty Womack, he's never bent a single Volk wheel. I have a friend in Queens that's bent over 25 wheels, and not all cheap stuff.... BBS, ROH, etc. This is not like DKNY, alot of the time you really do get what you pay for in this case. jewelerz, stay away from those house brand Rage wheels, they probably don't even make them wide enough anyway......there is absolutely nothing wrong with being on a budget, but you can get a nice set of TT wheels with rubber for a great price compared to aftermarket, if you must have new then you can go with a set of reman TT rims, and they're 8" and 9.5" which are nice and wide.
Old 10-16-03, 01:45 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Naw man... I'm sure you're not shallow. I've just seen it before from others. I understand that forged is stronger. But wheels bend from hitting things. Forged things bend n' break too right Em? It comes down to personal preference and too many people knock wheels if they didn't cost over 2g's or 3g's or is the requirement 5g's now? Show circuit style. I'm just razzin'. I agree that HRE and Volks are great quality. But I also feel that quality can be had cheaper.

For example - I've never had a problem with ADR, Enkei, and recently - NZO. Never smacked anything (other than a few potholes in Chicago and Cincy) with the ADR's or NZO's but hit plenty a pothole and smacked a couple curbs with them Enkeis (the Zenkei's not the RS6, until I broke two of the RS6 wheels in a violent accident). Now those Zenkei's, they are cast. And for everything they have been through, they are still not bent. As well as two sets of supra TT wheels wich are indeed cast. (Not all these sets were on just this car of course - I can hear it now - you bought all those wheels, you could have bought some HRE's!) Yea I know. Thing is, not all those clams came around at once. I have no idea about Rage wheels. But wheels are wheels. If they are the right size, who's to say it is the wrong choice for any individual? Smack a curb or go airborne and they bend and break in two even. Forged or not. I think driver skill comes down to how well the wheels hold up. Up until you get to the point of auto cross track star gran tourismo style where the actual forces of torque and load and what not can bust a spoke in two. Who actually drives like that on the street?

Oh.... wait a minute.

Nevermind. I know your intentions are well Jon.
Old 10-16-03, 03:33 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by awj
I told the shop I ordered them from that the wheels were going on a Supra TT. He told me they would have to be 8.5 up front to clear those stoppers. So I figured he new what was up. I believe the offset is just fine. The rear meats only rub during more "spirited" driving. Perhaps the offset is off - but I would have to measure it because, off hand - I don't know what the exact offset is. Either the previous owner lowered the car (the suspension is stock) or the suspension is tired out is all I figure.
OK...clearing the calipers has nothing to do with the width of the wheel or the offset, only the design of the wheel, as a matter of fact, I remember one set of 18x10s not clearing the caliper while the 18x8.5s did. It only has to do with the design of the center section. If a wheel is not known to fit over the caliper, the ONLY way to know is by test fitting, or taking a number of unavailable measurements.

BTW, 19x11 with the correct offset will fit the rears.

PS. I vote 19s for limited driving, 18s for daily.

Last edited by sc300tt; 10-16-03 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 04:25 PM
jewelerz
Rookie

Lex........ Shallow NO!!! Informative YES!!! You just gave me and probably many others on this board excellent advise. And not for nothing you hit the nail on the head. See at my job there are a click of us with SC's, GS's and SC430's with 10000+ sprewell (spinners) to giovanna's etc.. (don't know if i spelled it right!!!) and all of them don't have kids and bills and that other stuff. Me i got a wife and kids, house and Al Bundy syndrome And oh yeah stock rims too . In my mind I saw a set of cheap rims that looked decent so i snatched them up. When I read your post you just reminded me of a harsh reality of life "You buy cheap you get cheap!" I really should have known that from past experiences and waited until 1) I did my research on quality, sizing and etc 2) Got something I really wanted which is some chrome wheels. But I guess the only good thing is that when I do get what I want at least i'll have a spare set of rims for the winter. Also I did do a seach on rims and wheels and I didn't read a post on quality and workmanship and other important issues which i see is very important maybe you can suggest a rim/ wheel section on the board. Thanks for the reply Lex.

Julian
Old 10-17-03, 06:25 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by awj
Who actually drives like that on the street?

I do. Really.

Julian, no prob.
Old 10-17-03, 06:29 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I know.
Old 10-21-03, 02:40 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno...20's look ok to me...I'd do 19 or 20's...but to do 20's, you need to be careful as the SC has some very shallow front fenders...

As for cheap rims...yeah, buy them, they're all good. Espeically the chrome ones! They just ooze quality and craftsmanship.....ooze....

These are 20" iForged Flux wheels. Brushed centers, High Polished lip.

Old 10-24-03, 11:49 AM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Poor men pinching pennies for that oh so glorious 2JZ GTE swap or Toyomoto kit ride on economical 17” Supra TT wheels…

Not a bad way to roll, but 19” are much more voluptuous!

Attached Thumbnails What size rims do you have on your SC300/400?-low-sc-5speed..jpg  

Last edited by 93 LS4; 10-28-03 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-24-03, 02:35 PM
CORT
Driver School Candidate

Wink

18" 9.5 in the front 10.5 for the rear, and if you want the best wheels in the world get Volks.
Old 10-24-03, 02:41 PM
CORT
Driver School Candidate

Wink

18" 9.5 in the front 10.5 for the rear, and if you want the best wheels in the world get Volks.
Old 10-24-03, 05:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Is that Cort with the '98 mkiv na-t?
Old 10-27-03, 04:22 PM
joeyc2
Lead Lap

im on 19x81/2f and 19x91/2 r...i too think 19s are a good size on the sc, 20s would be good too
Old 10-27-03, 04:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by SPRUCE
Poor men pinching pennies for that oh so glorious 2JZ GTE swap or Toyomoto kit ride on economical 17” Supra TT wheels…
I think those wheels are the perfect factory appearance for these vehicles, the car should come that way!
Old 10-29-03, 05:11 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I have volk GT-C's 19x9.5 and 19x10.5. they took 3 months wait since they were special order and the first 19" set in the US at the time.
Attached Thumbnails What size rims do you have on your SC300/400?-scangle.jpg  

Quick Reply: What size rims do you have on your SC300/400?